It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:45 pm 

I have an EX495 which I've been using to backup several PC, and with some upgrade grief to run iTunes as a server for AppleTV. It runs WHS2003 with the HP extensions pretty much as delivered, a few add-on's but thats all.

This worked great for a number of years, but as all my computers are Win7 or Win10 I am struggling... The Win10 machine won't allow the connector to install. Two of the Win7 computers (one is Enterprise 64bit, the other Professional 32bit) will not allow the connector to install- finds the server, asks for the password, but can't login. The third Win7 machine (Professional 64bit) connector installed years back and backups seem to happen, but just realized I can't access the console (password box shows up, but can't login). Have looked round the web, people seem to been able to install the connector on Win7 machines, but I can't seem to.

The last issue is a wakeup call, because I now have no machines that I can access the console from- which I think means if I want to recover a file I'm toast...???

Hoping the community can give me some advice...
1) Am I missing something and really should be able to make the current WHS2003 based connector work on these Win7 machines? What about Win10 because MS is nagging for upgrades.
Assuming not, and its time for a change...
2) Do I upgrade my machine to a more recent version- guess its 'ServerEssentials' or something. Or do I go a different direction... Primary wishes are:
- large capacity (several TB) backup for Win7 / Win10 PC in some kind of protected array (RAID); don't want to have to back that up too!
- something capable of being a media server as most of my PC are laptop... presently running iTunes

I'm not wedded to the machine, but if there is a reasonable path forward to make it do what I want, would rather not throw it away...

Thanks.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:03 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Since no one has waded in, here is my 2 cents. What is working for me.....
I have two x-510 (same hardware as the ex-490) and I am still running whs v1.
I use serviio as my media streaming to my samsung tv. have the Smart addon to watch the drives, that's about it.
I am backing up:
3 netbooks with win7 32 bit
1 win xp laptop that I keep around to do server recoveries.
1 HTPC running win 7 64 bit pro
4 desktops running win 7 64 bit pro
1 desktop running vista 64 bit
We have 1 laptop that has win 10 on it but I have not installed the connector and I keep it on the guest network (different subnet).
I have all my users keep all their data they can on the server so all the clients have ssd and are small and fast when they backup.
I will not upgrade to win 10 any time soon. Maybe not at all, depending on what is next.
I will not use the cloud.
I have a second x-510 that I synctoy the first to so I have a local copy of my shares. I use non-pooled drives to keep a second local copy and offsite copy.
I have base images of all the PC.s stored on a external usb drive in case I lose a drive in a pc.

I have two copies of whs 2011, tried it but didn't like it, but have them if needed down the road.

Lastly, I built a DIY win2012E server using stablebit drive pool and 4 tb red drives which I have only played with, just in case, for down the road. It has a VM of win7pro running just to play with.

I have heard that win 10 will backup and run even on whs V1 but can not confirm myself.
As far as your win7 not working, that should not be happening, sorry to hear, windows can be a Pain when it wants to be.

Some people are moving to the cloud for the data and using acronis for backups.
Some people are moving to NAS.
Some are building their own.

Are all of your pc's clean, I keep mine clean with malwarebytes and keep them updated/disk cleaned regularly.

Do you have the SMart app on your server to make sure your drives are ok?
Do you have a backup of your data that (you can't lose)?
These are the main two things I recommend.

Sorry I don't have a clear answer for you, just what is working for me.
I wish you luck, if anything here brings up a question, please ask.
I try to keep an eye on the threads and help where I can.
This site thx to Alex is the best for WHS and Mediasmart I believe.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:09 pm 

Appreciate the reply...

Things are looking better in WHS land; guess my post was out of frustration with several aborted attempts to install the connector over the past few months without really devoting enough concentrated time to resolution...

I did some more reading since my post, appears some draw a link between a system drive not performing well and some of the issues with installing / accessing the server via the connector. I did install WHSSmart and it gave my system disk the thumbs down.

Replaced it with a RedPro 2TB and ran recovery... had to try three times before it entered recovery mode successfully; but reload completed fine. The backup database was messed up, but I'd forced everything I cared about to be mirrored on two drives, so I risked the 'Repair' it went fine. The only confusing thing is WHSSmart refers to my brand new drive as Geriatric on a 'vendor specific' attribute 16. Not very complimentary... assuming it is safe to ignore this?

After this, using the SW install disk, I was able to install the connector on the Win7 32bit laptop without much grief. Having succeeded there, I tried on my Win7 64 Enterprise laptop. This was much more difficult, got the 'Cant connect to server at this time' message many times... eventually I found this post https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/eldar/ ... ing-hints/ and followed down the WINS path. Issue resolved when I put the IP address and hostname into the Hosts file- not elegant, but connector installed. Wish I could say the machine gets backed up, but my employer puts full disk encryption on- backup fubar. At least I have the console access on my main machine... Managed to repair the third Win7 64 too, just a reinstall from the server. With all that good luck I decided to take a flyer on the Win10 laptop... installed from the server and it worked first time- backup and all.

Still need to resurrect iHomeServer to get my iTunes server going again.

In the end, think I have two questions:
- The Wiki indicates EX495 should have SW 3.3.1.35433; I have 3.2.1.34990. Is there a way to get the latest SW? Should I?
- When I was trying to figure out what was going on with the connector, WHS Toolkit was frequently mentioned. Is there a way to get a copy?

Thanks...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:18 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I would login to the console and keep checking for updates;
HP updates.
Windows updates.
You may find it will update as you keep going.
if not, then the only other way was with the upgrade disks which I wouldn't worry about, there wasn't that much difference.
You may have to uninstall and reinstall the connector as the versions change.

Good luck sound like you are on your way now.

Also, I have not tried the Pro Reds, I wonder if they are just different enough that smart can not identify them.
As long as It can tell you if they are good/bad I wouldn't worry about it.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks