It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Upgrading from WHS V1
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:13 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

So another drive goes down in my x490. Well I love WHS V1 I think it's time to move on. Being that I really want to buy some drives over 2TB. Problem is, I really have no idea what would be the best path for this.

I have done a ton of google research on this, and I am back and forth. I am not sure whether to upgrade to Windows home server 2011, Server essentials 2012, or windows server 2016. Or go the Synology or Q snap route. I have a mediasonic 4 bay that I would like to attach to any new hardware/software. I think I want to move on from the Celeron processor in the HP, but looking at specs of new hardware it really doesn't seem they are all that superior. I won't be using it for trans coding, I really just want a huge disk with lots of space to dump tons of files and I don't need automatic backups of workstations (although would be nice).

Can someone point me in the right direction to go? Also I have 10TB of Data. It's A LOT. And moving all that data if I have to move it and not hot swap the hard drives would be a nightmare. What would be the best way to do this as well?

I really want just a small little server that is set and forget like WHS V1 that I don't have to fiddle and tweak all the time. I mean I love HP and WHS it's lasted what like 9 years now? Finding something comparable nowadays with updated hardware seems like a daunting task ATM. :)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. OR what worked for you upgrading from WHS v1?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:08 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well, my 2 cents, there is no direct replacement for the HP WHS V1. Wish there was.
A few things to thing about.
1) Hardware, are you going to build something that is better then the 490? If you do, please put it into the DIY thread as lots of others would like to be able to do that as well. It is hard to beat that little box.

2) OS, that is the difference. Windows you can pull a drive and get your data, NAS most likely not, the data is in some kind of proprietary format.

3) Your data will have to be copied and moved no matter what you do, no way around it.

You have basically 3 choices. Stick with what you have till it works no more.
Upgrade the OS to whs 2011 or win2012E or win2012eR2 and then use Drive poll or drive bender and larger drives.
Build something and figure what os to use on it or go nas. The cloud might be a forth option.

I am sticking with whs v1 till it won't run no more, then I have whs 2011 I might load to get a little more out of the hardware, then as a fallback plan I built a server and bought win2012E, It is in the DIY thread. (X710)
It holds 5 drives of any size inside it, 4 storage and 1 for server backup, the OS drive is mirrored SSD.

I won't use the cloud and I won't use a Nas and I won't be buying 2016.
If all else failed I would buy a few Externals like the mediasonic 4 bay or 8 bay and use them on my main pc and do file shares.

Hope this helps, many are looking, some upgrade, some build their own, some go NAS, some go full cloud.
It's what works for you that is right.

You can tell bu my signature I am all in on the hardware for now. And with two copies of 2011 I might make it a little more down the road, but at some point I will have to fire up my 2012E box

Good Luck and Let us know which way you went and why....

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks