It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:16 am 

Hello,

I have an old EX490 which I would like to start using again to backup my main desktop PC. I have quite alot of data and currently backing up to external drives which is a long procedure and I know that I'm wasting drive space as there are duplicate files and folders across my drives.

The question is:

1. Is the EX490 still up to the job?
2. As the unit is no longer supported by MS, what OS / version should I look to install on the unit or will it auto update to the last when I fire it up?
3. What is the maximum drive size I can install in each bay
4. Any links to a guide that will help further?

Thanks alot guys!!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:50 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Drive size for each bay (without a hack) is 2tb per drive.
The ex-490 came stock with WHS v1 which is built on server 2003 which is coming up on EOL I think next year.
I have (4) x-510 and use two of them, same hardware as yours. I plan on using them for as long as I can.
That being said, all the PC's in the house are win7 and 1 vista which I will most likely upgrade to win7 at some point. I know people are using the version 1 servers with win 8 and win8.1 but I don't plan on upgrading to win 8/8.1 I will wait for win 10 and hope that I can still use the server.

The backup part is what I worry about, the server can always just set there and act as a file server and even stream, but, will the connector and backup work for win 10 will be the big question. My guess is microsoft will try to force whs v1 out at win 10.

Some have got the video adaptor and installed WHS 2011 which is built on server 2008 and that my have some extra life left in it, same question, will it be able to backup a win 10 pc, we will see.

I have built a DIY win2012E system (it's in the DIY section) for down the road, but I hope I don't have to use it.

Lastly, if you decide to keep all your files and backups on the ex-490, remember you should really have at least a second copy outside of the box.
Cloud
External drive/s
I use a internal non-pooled drive to backup my shares. It shows up on the backups page of the connector to backup the server shares manually. I have (2) 2tb drive that do this and I rotate them out and keep 1 offsite in case of fire or whatever. I also sync the share to a second server weekly so I really have 4 copies of my data. This is extreme, but if my server dies I can quickly switch to my second server, I have 2 extra servers setting in boxes for spare parts.

Hope this helps. Shout out if you have any other questions, this is an awesome place to find help for these servers and the GUIDES are very helpful as well.
Good luck

If you decide to use it, I would think of buying a second for spare parts and then a must have addin is the SMART program that will keep an eye on your drives, having a sata to usb dock or cables to work with drives outside of the server comes in handy as well and as I said above, if you decide to install anything else on it the video adaptor is well worth the money, I bought 2.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:44 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

well you never did say what your desktop OS is.
For a X64 PC it can backup the pc but there will be issues if you want to restore the whole drive using the pc restore disc.
But it will let you view the files in the backup and restore what you want.

Also if you have 3 bays free You might just want two drives for the pool for duplication.
And install the 4th bay as a backup drive.
It is a manual process but it will backup what you have in the pool drives less the pc backups.
For the manual goto:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prod ... itle_r0001

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:13 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Speaking of 64 bit restores, I had never had a successful restore (I had only tried twice and got bluescreens, even with the updated restore cd) but a few weeks ago my main desktop Win7pro 64 bit on a ssd died, drive just disappeared.
I thought, oh boy, I just lost that setup.
Got a new ssd out and went out to the motherboard website, got the 32 bit drivers and put them on a thumb drive and had a successful recovery!!! My first ever and man was I happy. That box has outlook on it with over 6000 emails.
But I fear the day when the connector won't work anymore (win 10) maybe. Not that I care to much about the backups, but that one saved me for sure.

Good luck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:25 pm 

The one thing about the BSOD on any PC being recovered is that its important to make sure your using the latest Client Recovery Software. I have successfully recovered both 32 and 64 bit clients many times without issue. I do know some had issues with certain partitions like recovery partitions but that's nothing I have encountered.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:55 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Mine turned out to be a gigabyte motherboard, when I upgraded to Asus Sabertooth with a 4.2 FX AMD it will recovery just fine.
Ya just never know, that's whay I live for my backups. :-)
Goodluck

Thanks