It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:36 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

If you are wanting to sleep/wake your server and have an external that needs to be powered down at the same time. Here ya go:
I wanted to bring these two subjects together as I just figured out how to do both and wanted to document it just in case it might help someone down the road.

First: [SmartPower] Wake and sleep for free. Thanks again to James Chiffey the author.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13235
Sleeping and Waking your server, weather it be a mediasmart or any other PC. I have written about this here. I also use it on my headless Ripper Win7 box.

Second: [Mini Power Minder] $30 +/-
http://www.amazon.com/Hobbes-Innovation-PG-2001LF-Power-Minder/dp/B003V11QRQ
I found myself in need of a way to power down my EX-503 External Enclosure (attached usb3) at the same time.
I confirmed that this will work with the media smart servers (it uses a usb cable to sense power) as all the usb ports go dead when the mediasmart server sleeps.

On my DIY motherboard I found that all the usb ports are still live when the server sleeps (yah, it is a feature to charge stuff, but messed me up on this) which caused it to not work, but I built a Molex 5v to usb backplate to switch the usb switch. Problem solved...

That's it, Free sleep/wake and a cool little switch to power down the external if it doesn't do it itself.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!