It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:25 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have an ex490 on which I've installed OS8.1 (standard version) along with Teamviewer so I can remote in. Teamviewer is set up properly to allow me to log in, etc. however, when I try to log in from another computer, the computer shows up as offline. It's not offline though and I can access the files on it from my network. I just can't remote in. I also have Plex server on the drive and that's also showing up as offline.

If I take the drive out of the 490 and drop it into my desktop computer, all works fine. That is, I can remote in using Teamviewer and my Plex server shows up fine on network. Then when I drop it back into the 490, I can't remote in and Plex is offline.

I've tried setting it up so no password is needed (boots straight to desktop) and have also set the power settings so that it doesn't sleep. Still no luck.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I essentially set this up so that I can run Plex from it and keep all my media on there but now wondering if that's not going to work.

Thanks.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:08 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Two things come to mind,
Firewall
User account
But since it works in another pc I would lean to nic drivers, but you say you can access file/folders so the nic has to be working.
Very strange, it sounds like it should work, question, why Teamviewer, why not remote desktop in?
Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:27 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks for reply. From what I understand, Teamviewer is not affected by firewalls. I'll look further into user accounts but as mentioned, I tried setting the drive to auto log in to desktop.
As for remote desktop, I unfortunately didn't know before installing that 8.1 Pro version is needed on the computer that you want to remotely log into.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:52 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Yes, I take it for granted, as most of my win7 clients are pro.
The only way to know for sure would be to buy one of the VGA cables so you can see what is happening.
Good Luck.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:07 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks. I'm pulling my hair out a bit here. Have turned off the firewall completely on the drive so that's not the problem. Server still shows up in network and I can access the files from the drop down but if I double click on server icon it says it says my computer name is denying access.

Two things to ask if you don't mind. The third blue light on far right of server is continually blinking. Should it be doing that and if not, what does it mean? Also, is it possible this could be a jumper issue because the issue is clearly with the MediaServer. The drive works fine in my desktop.

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:13 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

The lights will only work correctly with WHS V! so The blinking would be normal I would say.
Jumpers, I don't think there are any other the accessing the bios, they send a jumper when you buy the VGA cable.
Ya, I think you don't have much choice except the video so you can see what is happening.
I bought two of the vga cables as I knew I would be using different os'es down the road.
Good Luck...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:36 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks. Although I love the server, Plex no longer supports WHS1 and I really don't want to put more money into it to buy a cable or purchase another version of WHS. Will probably just put it up for sale.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:03 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I think I might have figured this out. From what I'm reading on web, when you set up Teamviewer on a computer, it generates a user ID from the hardware mac address. So if I set the drive up on one computer and then move it to another, the mac address will be wrong. Other than buying the debug cable, don't see any way to do the initial install of Teamviewer on the drive when it's in the server. Otherwise, I could just update to 8.1 Pro which includes remote desktop.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:53 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Sounds like that could be it.
The hardware is hard to beat, Plex I know nothing about, I use serviio to stream to my 55 Samsung Plasma.
The 8 pro might be a cheap option.
Good luck on which ever way you go, let us know, it could come in handy for others....

Thanks