It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:29 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hey all;

I am going to be migrating from my EX470 to EX495 in the next few days, and am hoping to get some advice/opinions on the best way to preverve my data. I currently have 17.41TB of storage space, with ~16.5tb being utilized by important data.

I've read through the threads about migration (server recovery) but not certain if that would be the best route for me to go.

I'm NOT concerned about the client backups/images, just my personal data that is saved across all the drives, which consist of (4) internal drives and (7) "external" drives in a TR8U enclosure.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance...

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:55 am 

The one thing you should consider is backing up your files to a location other than your server. Think of like this if you server catches fire then your files would be lost.

I understand your concern about data migration, been there myself.

You could setup the EX495 with one or two storage pool drives.

Then configure your Shared Folder but do not turn on duplication.

Copy the files from a particular folder on the EX470 to the EX495.

Once you confirm the files have been copied properly then turn the duplication off for the folder you just copied. This will free up space in your EX470.

Repeat the process of copying files until you have freed up enough space on your EX470 so that you can remove a storage pool drive from your EX470.

Remove a drive from the storage pool on your EX470 and then install it on your EX495.

This will be a rather long process especially when you remove a drive from your storage pool. During this process your data will still be protected because the data waiting to be copied will still be duplicated on the EX470 and the data you copied on the EX495 will also still exist on the EX470.

When your done copying all your data then you can begin deleting it off your EX470 deleting a Folder at a time until you free up enough space to once again remove another drive.

The drives you will want to remove first would be the ones in your external enclosure since you will want to free that up as soon as possible so that when its empty you can move it to your EX495.

At this point when you remove a drive and add it to your EX495 you would then begin to turn on duplication for the folders that you deleted on your EX470 that now exist on your EX495.

Again this is a very slow process and the duplication on your EX495 will also take some time.

If you take the time to say back up your files to optical media and then move the drives to the EX495 and perform a Server Recovery it will be quicker for you. There is a difference in the way the EX470 and EX495 recover in that you need to directly connect a client to the EX495 using an Ethernet cable. I would take sometime to review what others have written about performing a recovery to migrate their data which is the quickest way to perform a migration.

The method I propose is a very long process but should provide you with comfort knowing your data is safe along the way and does not cost you too much in purchasing new drives to help with the migration. Also if you only purchase 1 drive then its not a waste because you have 1 available drive bay in your external enclosure so it will be put to good use after your migration is complete.

If your budget can afford another external enclosure 4, 5 or 8 bays and also more than 1 drive then it will help speed up the process.

You may want to continue to explore other options so that you can chose the method which your most comfortable with.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:34 am 
Founder
Founder

I wrote up how I manually migrated here: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/01 ... me-server/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:47 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I would just throw in that unless you have a known good 495, then starting it up independent of the 470 might be a really safe way to go, at least till you know the 495 is good.
Backups, I almost lost my data twice, thx to Comp1962 for telling me about the non-pooled drives and backing up my shares.
It does take extra drives $$ to do, but only you can decide how important the data is.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks