It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: SMTP relay on WHS?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:03 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I'm at a loss. Since switching from cable to Fios I've lost the ability to send mail (pdfs or scanned documents) from my HP LaserJet all-in-one via unathenticated smtp. Sadly, the all-in-one does not have the capability to send via authenticated smtp...there's just no options in the settings to add the username and password.

Would like to set something up on my WHS to accept these scan emails and forward them via Verizon's smtp (requires authorization) to my Verizon email box. From what I've googled so far, I think I need a SMTP relay?

Does anyone have a better grasp on what I need to do and kind enough to hold my hand in setting it up? I've never set up a mail server before and am soaking up as much as I can via google but damn does it seem complicated. Is this something the SMTP server fucntion of IIS 6 can do easily? I've installed the IIS 6 SMTP component via add/remove programs and played around with its settings a bit but I'm still at a loss.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to give me a nudge in the right direction. I really miss the abilty to print out a document, sign my name to it, scan it back in and have it immediately sent to my inbox as a .PDF I can then forward to concerned third parties.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: SMTP relay on WHS?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:52 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Search for stunnel on google, its designed for just this purpose.

install on WHS server, and setup.

it can take an incoming connection on port 25, and it will redirect it to your ISP's SMTP server on whatever port you need to connect as.

You'll need to read the instructions carefully, but it should do it. I use it here to route to my ISP, it does take a while to get it to work properly but it can do it.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank mannyo for this post
yakuza
 Post subject: Re: SMTP relay on WHS?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:10 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thank you for the tip, mannyo! I'm out poking around the stunnel documentation right now. I haven't gotten far yet but it looks like each client runs a process/daemon to listen for connections to send to a remote server. If I am reading that right, that's a non-starter as my printer can't run anything natively. Will continue to research. Thanks again!

Thanks