It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:00 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hey everybody, well after having my server disconnected from the internet for about a year if not longer, I just got it back up today :-)!

I am working on getting it back upto speed, doing updates and all and I noticed when I try to do the HP MediaSmart server updates, it says it cannot connect to the server at this time

Is this due to HP stopping their MediaSmart server lines and not offering anymore updates?

I did have the server hooked up to my parents a while back to do server updates(windows and HP) and I believe they completed fine but now when I try to do the HP nothing comes through.

The Windows updates, well it is still sitting here 'calculating' or locked up haha, so we will see if there are any other Windows updates that have been released since the last internet connection it had.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:26 pm 
Founder
Founder

HP updates are available to my knowledge, if you aren't getting Windows Updates either then there may be a configuration or network issue.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:36 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

This raises a valid question...if I find myself doing a rebuild years down the road, will there come a point when HP will just pull the plug on hosting these updates? Is there a way to get a HP Update installer package downloaded/built/hosted somewhere in the event HP fully embraces their mistake to drop MSS support and turns the switch off someday?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:41 am 

usually, at about 5 years, most drop support for their hardware - - so I worry as well...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:22 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

This might result in moving over to the WHS 11 software.

Honestly, with HP's reputation in the server/networking market, if I would have known that they were going to drop their home server line as they did, I wouldn't have purchased the MSS. My next runner up would have been the qnap storage units.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:38 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Monguire wrote:
This raises a valid question...if I find myself doing a rebuild years down the road, will there come a point when HP will just pull the plug on hosting these updates? Is there a way to get a HP Update installer package downloaded/built/hosted somewhere in the event HP fully embraces their mistake to drop MSS support and turns the switch off someday?

Once you have the updates installed, a copy of the files are in the C:\program Files\Hewlitt-Packard\HP MediaSmart Server\data\.updates\applied folder. So copy those files to a CD. Then if you ever have to do a reinstall, get them from the CD.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Diehard for this post
Monguire, msawyer91
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:35 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Diehard wrote:
Once you have the updates installed, a copy of the files are in the C:\program Files\Hewlitt-Packard\HP MediaSmart Server\data\.updates\applied folder. So copy those files to a CD. Then if you ever have to do a reinstall, get them from the CD.

Ooooh...awesome find, Diehard! Thank you so much for sharing. Copied these out to my NAS just in case!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:22 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

mr.rhtuner wrote:
My next runner up would have been the qnap storage units.

I still think WHS has value over Qnap, FreeNAS and others with the client backup software for windows computers. It really is an amazing bit of tech - bare metal restore with dedupe! I have deployed many Windows Home Servers at small businesses simply for the client backup functionality alone. Second, the fact that it's a full blown Windows Server has additional value. I have my home automation software, KMTTG for download from my Tivo's and an iTunes instance running. It consumes (even with the extra hard drives) less power than any other computer I own, so it's a great long term value proposition.

The good news is WHS 2011 runs just fine on an unmodified 490, and adding a cheap stick of RAM will really boost it (it boosts WHS v1 too). Also, it's pretty easy to upgrade a 490 to WHS 2011 - just use another PC to install WHS 2011 on the system hard drive of your choice, pull your existing system drive, plug in the WHS 2011 system drive and after it spends a little extra time loading drivers on first boot, you will be able to connect to it via RDP just fine. No custom cable required. While they are handy to have for other hacking around, they aren't needed to just get a new OS on (thankfully!).

Even though HP ceased production and development, my existing 490 is still a great, compact and very functional home server. As long as it keeps running, I will use it. And when it eventually dies (nothing lasts forever!) I'll replace it with something else. None of that is affected by HP's exit. What is disappointing is that I won't have the option for an equally well made yet economical server. I really like HP's form factor the best of all the pre-made WHS appliances that were and are on the market. I'll probably just build something myself next time - primarily to get the case that can hold the most hard drives that I can find :) And I'll also probably downgrade to an Atom motherboard - I never did do transcoding on my WHS like I anticipated, and even if I do and an Atom is slower - so what? It's going to be happening in the background continually so being able to transcode in realtime or even near realtime really isn't an issue - and the power savings will be more important to me.

Anyway, you have a great box and it will remain to be so - no matter HP's stance on it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:27 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Diehard wrote:

These are just the HP updates, right? I only have 3 files in this folder. I think the topic was about the MS updates becoming not available also.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:15 am 
Founder
Founder

I would expect the Microsoft updates to be available longer than the HP updates.

Thanks