It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:55 am 

Any suggestions as to where to start would be very appreciated.

I am an original owner of two HP MediaSmart Servers - HP EX490 and HP EX475. I purchased both of these when they were 1st introduced while I was working at HP. I am a big fan of these little servers. I have had them both running since then, non-stop continuously. I have upgrade the processors and ram on both (can't remember to what) but they have been serving my household since 2008. The EX490 as main server and the EX470 as a backup.

I recently updated to a NAS and can now safely work on upgrading these again. The EX470 is running Windows Server 2003 (for over 10 yrs now) and the EX490 has been running WHS 2011 but is limping along with a corrupted OS issue. Both only have 2GB sticks. I replace the power supplies on both recently also.

Anyway, what is the best direction for me to update these for a recent OS with minimal effort to get them up and running again. I have only the original CDs.... If anyone can point me to a good tutorial I can start researching my next steps. In the mean time I will continue to review the site. (I was a former member, lost my account info and had to sign in again).

I have read some posts on here and see a lot of valuable effort has been done by many.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Al

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:14 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Welcome (back). I guess it all depends what you want to do with your MSS boxes now you have a shiny new NAS.

If you're looking to try a more modern windows server OS you should check out this thread.

A lot of people repurpose their MSS with XPEnology, which lets you run Synology DSM software.
https://xpenology.com/forum/

A simple solution would be to install something like Ubuntu Server, if you partner it with Greyhole you also get drive extender like functionality, a good blog post about that can be found here.

There are plenty of other Linux/FreeBSD based server OS's, TrueNAS Core (FreeNAS) and Unraid being two of the most popular, although the limitations of the MSS hardware (max 4 core CPU and max 4GB Ram) would mean popular features like running multiple VM's, Containers and ZFS storage pools would not be a realistic option.

Hope that helps, let us know what you decide.

Stock Ram
HGST 1 x 2TB, 3 x 8TB

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:47 am 

Thank you very much for your response, Banquo73. It exactly what I needed to get started.

I was able to fix my "WHS 2011 corrupted OS issue" by doing a restore of System state from a while back. Forgot I had that regular backup going.
I cannot get the EX490 to into sleep mode. I have the EX475 able to wake-on-lan, but not the EX490 w/WHS. My requirement is I want a stable machine to do quarterly or bi-annual backup of the NAS. I was doing that with the EX475 for theEX490. Left EX490 running and I would wake-on-lan the EX470 and do ROBOCOPY. I figured I do the same thing using ROBOCOPY or rsync.. Anyway. I will look at the threads you mentioned.

Thanks again
Al

Thanks