Free time has been very sparse of late to get any writing done, but thought I would throw up a quick post in case anyone else runs in to a similar issue. Earlier this year I migrated over from WHSv1 to Windows Server 2012 Essentials. For the most part it has been a smooth transition although there have definitely been some bumps in the road. It seems like when things finally start working without issue something always comes up! Yesterday I go to log into my Windows 7 PC and get a message about my password expiring. I am guessing that since my PC is connected to the Windows Server 2012E domain this is something being passed down from the server (although I have never been prompted to change my PC password so it still seemed odd). I went ahead and changed my password, and when I did I got this error message when I tried to log in:
No matter what I tried I could not log in to my PC via the domain. I switched from the domain to my local PC to log in and it worked, but now I was not only not connected to the domain but anything I had added to my PC since I joined the domain was missing. I dug around the internet only to find that this is somewhat of a common problem where somehow the password on the client PC gets out of sync with the password stored on the domain (in this case my server). I came across this article which detailed a fix where you remove the workstation from the domain and re add. I went through the steps, finally went back to my PC to log in to the domain and now I got another error:
At this point I was ready to take a bat to my server and PC lol. Since free time is a commodity I just don’t have the patience I use to with technology, but I took a deep breathe, did a search for the error message and found several posts / solutions. Most of the solutions though were similar to the solution from the first error, so they weren’t much help. I found this article though which detailed how to confirm your workstation details on the domain to make sure the appropriate information was there. I switched over to my server and went in to Administrative Tools -> Active Directory Users and Computers, and under the Computers icon I could see my computer and my wife’s. The first thing that stuck out was that under the description mine was blank but my wife’s was populated.
The article mentioned for the issue PC to check the attributes “dNSHostName” and “servicePrincipalName” which you can do my right clicking on the PC, selecting “Properties” and going to the “Attribe Editor” tab (note, make sure you have advanced features checked under View in the toolbar or you will not see this). Sure enough these two attributes were blank. Under dNSHostName I added the following (Assume that Damian-PC is the workstation and MooseKnuckles is the server domain):
Next, under servicePrincipalName I added the following:
Sure enough that did the trick and I was able to finally rejoin the domain on my Windows 7 PC. I am still scratching my head as to why this issue even came up, and why I had to change the password on my PC, but for now everything is working so I will settle with that. Now I just wait for the next issue