Zappiti Announces New Media Player

by Damian on November 14, 2012 · 22 comments

Although details are still scarce, Zappiti (the folks behind the Zappiti jukebox for the Dune players) has just announced their own media player, called “zappiti player”.

Modular Entertainment Station Features

● 3D Video Format Support: Decodes wide variety of 3D Video formats, including MVC, SBS,
Top/Bottom and RealD 3D.
● HDD Player: Plays content from any HDD (NAS, USB, SATA)
● Network Player: Connect Zappiti Player to a local network and play content directly from PC or NAS via UPnP SMB, or NFS.
● MKV Player: Playback HD and SD video in MKV containers and other modern video file formats, including top quality HD video with very high bit-rates > 50Mbp/s.
● USB Ports: Conveniently connect HDDs, USB flash drives, USB card readers and other USB storage devices without a USB hub.
● HDD Rack Option with Hot Swap Function: Easily and quickly insert and exchange internal 3.5’’ SATA HDDs for nearly unlimited storage capacity expansion.
● HDMI 1.4: Ensures broad compatibility to the very latest 3D TV’s, displays and projectors.
● Full Range of A/V Connectors: S/PDIF Optical and Coaxial Audio, Analog Stereo Audio, HDMI 1.4, Component Video, S-Video, Composite Video.
● High-Quality Music Playback: Plays very high-quality (up to 192 Khz / 24-bit) music files in various formats (FLAC, Monkey’s Audio APE, WAV/PCM, DTS, etc).
● Playlist Support: Build playlists from folders, use your own play lists with repeat and shuffle functions.
● Video Output Flexibility: Output video in any resolution and format (from SD to 1080p, 24p/PAL/NTSC).
● Video Up-Scaling: High quality up-scaling of DVD and any other SD video content to Full HD (1080p) or other HD resolutions.
● File Browser: Convenient file browser with powerful file management (copy, move, delete, rename, organize, sort).
Extra Functions

● Integrated Zappiti User Interface: Work with media collections using cover art and icon browsing (supports Full HD graphics) for movie and music files.
● Zappiti on Startup: Launch Zappiti automatically by custom setting.
● External NAS Support: Access files on any external storage devices (HDD, optical drive, etc)
attached to the player from the local network (using SMB or FTP).
● Flash Applications: Extend player functionality with FlashLite applications.
● Internet Radio: Playback and record various Internet radio stations.
● IPTV: Playback and record IPTV streams (multicast UDP/RTP) from Internet providers (check availability of multicast UDP/RTP streams with your Internet provider).
● Internet Browsing: View Internet web sites on your TV using the built-in web browser.

Availability: December 2012

This is quite interesting, especially since Zappiti will be integrated into the User Interface. There are no details yet on the price or chip being used, as well as whether Zappiti can be run as a stand alone from the player or if a PC is still required. Hopefully we will see more details released shortly.

EDIT – Jeff just pointed out, on the back it states it is a Dune player

Scott November 14, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I see it’s made by Dune per the rear label. But it also reflects “3D player” which the current player isn’t doing, so it’s something new. Very interesting…

Damian November 14, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Yeah, I updated my post to reflect. I think it is the Dune HD Base 3D that they had announced a while back

Gus November 15, 2012 at 3:25 am

I believer my wife just got photoshop. I’ll start posing the new GUS 6D Media player! You’ll be able to watch 2 3D movies at once lol.

Aaron November 15, 2012 at 10:30 am

Interesting. I may buy just to check out, depending on the price.

3d video November 15, 2012 at 9:18 pm

nice information thanks

Christophe Cherel November 17, 2012 at 2:40 am

Hello,

Thank you for your interest! Our new Zappiti Player is based on Dune HD Base 3D Player but with different firmware. We work in common with Dune HD on the development of this player. The Zappiti player will offer direct Zappiti launch on startup but this feature will be also available for yaDIS, Dune Explorer, MyMovies, DuneX and all Media Center solution compatible with Dune HD Players. Zappiti application will be compatible Movies, TV Shows, and also Music (new feature).

In near future, Zappiti will offer dynamic interface with search engine and dynamic filters.

Zappiti is already now in pre-order on HD LAND web site (sales for Europe).

Christophe.
Zappiti Team.

Brajesh November 27, 2012 at 7:37 am

Sounds promising. When can you expect USA availability? Thanks.

Gus November 17, 2012 at 4:12 am

Wow, now, I am taking this seriously. Thank you for posting and confirming this is a real player. I can’t wait till it gets to the USA.

Quick question, will you guys be offering a direct Zappiti launch with other Dune media players such as the Dune Smart Series?

Aaron November 17, 2012 at 4:50 pm

So will Duneplayer be getting these?

Samurai November 26, 2012 at 8:57 pm

This is very good news. I hope it comes out soon.

Gus November 27, 2012 at 11:00 am

Me too. PCH-A400 did have a good start from what I’ve been reading.

Brajesh November 28, 2012 at 12:41 pm

You mean not a good start right? Been reading about multitude of issues at launch.

Damian November 28, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Lol, yeah, assuming Gus missed that. Supposedly he is having problems sending messages from his phone, or he got sidetracked by the doubly digital tracks he was listening too :p

Gus November 28, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Znjam November 30, 2012 at 4:59 pm

No hd true?Self not via beatstream?

Coop December 1, 2012 at 10:51 am

I wonder if the built in web browser will be useful for Netflix and Hulu

Gus December 1, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Nope.

Jason December 7, 2012 at 7:30 am

Will the Zappiti player allow for full menu support via BD ISO?

It’s my understanding that the Zappiti player will not be sold in the US. Is this correct?

Regarding the A-400; I have heard numerous horror stories coming from customers. I thought the A-300 was buggy that I owned. Looks like PCH rushed that one out the door too quickly.

I’ll be sticking with Dune products. Much more stable.

Cheers,

Damian December 7, 2012 at 7:32 am

No, Full BD menu support is a thing of the past

A-400 is buggy (testing it right now). If you need a 3D player the Mede8er is the only one I recommend

Jason December 7, 2012 at 8:26 am

Thanks again Damian,

I’ve heard great things about the Mede8r but for some reason I thought they were only sold outside of the US. I’ll check them out.

My Dune Smart has been rock solid but with your recommendation, I’ll give Mede8er a go.

Best Regards,
Jason

Damian December 7, 2012 at 8:33 am

You can find my Mede8er review in the review section here.

The Dune Smart has been solid for me as well, the Mede8er is a great alternative is 3D BluRay playback is a requirement

{ 1 trackback }