New Dune Media Players On The Way

by Damian on August 24, 2012 · 9 comments

Over on AVSForum a user posted the following note he had received:

mailing from HDI:

Dune HD invites you to visit our stand at IFA 2012,
taking place on the 31 August – 5 September 2012
at Messe Berlin, Germany.

Following successful launches of new media players and hybrid set-top boxes at ANGA Cable in Cologne, Dune HD will be showcasing an extensive range of new products with even more features in ever-smaller form-factors:

TV-103D: compact and elegant media player with IPTV/VOD support and 3D capability
TV-403D: hybrid media player with IPTV/VOD support, twin-tuners (DVB), hard drive bay and 3D capability
Max 3D: media player with Blu-ray 3D support as well as full IPTV/VoD functionality
Dune HD Connect: world’s smallest Full HD media player in the format of HDMI dongle with built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and Z-Wave option.

With rich feature sets including 3D video support and OpenGL hardware acceleration, Dune HD players offer the richest user experience for today’s exacting consumer of quality content.

The Dune HD product demonstrations will be on Stand No 137, hall 3.2.
For more information or to book a demo in person, please contact us. We look forward to seeing you there.

www.dune-hd.com

I know for a lot of current Dune owners there have been lingering questions about what direction Dune HD was going in and when we might see a new media player. Hopefully this is a good indication that new players are on the way, and at least one of them appears to support Blu-ray 3D (Max 3D). It is interesting to see that the Dune HD Pro is nowhere in the announcement (possible vaporware?). Hopefully we will get more information on the players in the next week or so, and I will definitely post anything I find out.

For anyone interested, here are my current Dune media player reviews:

Dune BD Prime 3.0

Dune Smart D1

Dune TV301

Damian S August 24, 2012 at 7:04 am

I love my Dune D1 but I hate 3D so this isn’t of much interest to me. Any news on the rumoured xbmc capabilities on the Dune?

Thanks,
Damian

Damian August 24, 2012 at 11:07 am

Hopefully the OpenGL support will assist with getting XBMC integrated. No idea though the likelihood of that happening or who would be responsible for (i.e. Dune HD or the XBMC developers)

robnix August 25, 2012 at 12:25 am

Interesting. If the Dune Max 3D is priced right it could be the device that finally replaces my Bluray player and media player of the week. ;-)

Graham Myers August 26, 2012 at 11:07 am

The chat I had with Dune after this email was sent out to the resellers indicated that the Max 3D was using the Sigma 8672 chipset. The HD Pro is entirely dependent on Sigma releasing the 8910. If it ever gets released I’m sure the HD Pro will soon follow. It was only a brief chat so we didnt discuss further details. The units will be up and running in Germany not just dummy models.

TechAnimal September 4, 2012 at 7:53 am

IFA ends tomorrow. Any more news on the new dune units (especially the Dune Max 3D)?

Damian September 4, 2012 at 7:55 am

There have been a few reports (and Dune HD just finally posted an official announcement on their site). However, some specs are still unclear (especially for the Max 3D such as processor, how they can advertise Blu-ray support, etc…), so I won’t post anything until I can get some more concrete info. Here is the Dune news:

Graham Myers September 6, 2012 at 3:51 am

Only the Base 3d was really announced at IFA along with 3d updates of the TV models (see my blog – http://myhtpcuk.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/ifa-day-2-dune-hd-3d-models/). Whilst a Max 3D was on show (but not in demo mode), all the specs are under wraps and is likely to be not available until very late in the year, early next.

Samuel October 3, 2012 at 10:25 am

Hi all,

Thanks for your info. Please advise if anyone know the official date of the new HD Max 3D (w/ 8910 chipset) as I totally give up on the 1186 (newly bought 1 week) due to the picture quality is not comparable to the Dune H1 with 8642 (2 yrs old)

Look forward for comment and info from guru.

Thansk.

Damian October 12, 2012 at 4:31 am

It is not looking like we will see any new Dune players in the US this year :(