Home Server SMART Add-In Beta 2.2.3.8 Released

by Alex Kuretz on March 9, 2012 · 6 comments

Matt Sawyer of Dojo North Software has released an updated beta version of his Home Server SMART Add-In, as well as a standalone Windows application for monitoring hard drive health on non-WHS desktops or servers. This Add-In has been extremely valuable in our Troubleshooting forum to help users discover issues with their hard drives as well as proactive monitoring of possible future issues, and I highly recommend you install it if you aren’t currently running it. Here’s what Matt says about this latest Beta release.

I’ve posted the latest beta of Home Server SMART 2012 and its companion desktop version WindowSMART 2012! Version 2.2.3.8 code-named “Red Jumpsuit Apparatus” is now available!

Full details are available in the wikis of each. WindowSMART 2012 is just like HSS (without the BitLocker functions) and is designed to run on desktops and servers running Windows Vista, 7, Server 2008 and Server 2008 R2, and will monitor the health of your desktops and servers! Unlike HSS, WindowSMART will ultimately be a shareware application but for now there is no fee. Both HSS and WS will run until 4/30/2012, after which they will stop working. This is done to ensure folks update to the latest beta; when HSS goes gold the time restriction will go away. WS will then have a 30-day time limit after which it must be purchased.

Some new features to both include instant notifications via Prowl and Growl, for iOS and Android devices, respectively. You can now also have emails sent to up to 3 email addresses, not just one.

WindowSMART 2012 Wiki / Download: http://wiki.dojonorthsoftware.net/WindowSMART_2012 (32- and 64-bit versions available)
Home Server SMART 2012 Wiki / Download: http://wiki.dojonorthsoftware.net/Home_Server_SMART_2012

Please log bugs at https://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/bugtraq

You can also post in our forums here.

Gardian March 11, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Well, I guess I should file a bug report, I tried the Stand Alone on my MSI VR630 laptop (Vista home basic 32 bit) and it fails to install the C++, I can right-click and run as admin, manually, it installs, but then after I try to install again, it doesn’t see it. Even tried a reboot. Still thinks it need C++.

I’ll wait till a few more try it. I’m sure it will be awesome when it works.
I think I will run win updates and see if I’m missing something.

Matthew Sawyer March 11, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Hi Gardian,

I’ve posted a new beta, v2.2.3.11. Please try that one. I found what appeared to be the offending line of code in the Setup.exe file:

This line:

isVCPlusPlusInstalled = IsComponentInstalled(@”SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\VC\VCRedist\x86″, “Installed”);

Should have been:

isVCPlusPlusInstalled = IsComponentInstalled(@”SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\VC\VCRedist\x86″, “Installed”);

Setup.exe is configured to require administrative perms when run, so you should not have needed to run the VC++ as administrator since it’s invoked from the administrative-permed Setup.exe. Even if Setup didn’t run elevated, the VC++ installer should also request elevation.

I broke email alerts in the 2.2.3.8 build and they’ve been fixed in this build. I’ve also added identification code to correctly identify Intel SSDs that start with attributes 5, 9, 12, 170.

Matt

Matthew Sawyer March 12, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Posted build 2.2.3.12 today. I had some feedback from users with Intel 320 series SSDs and it turns out these SSDs use a different set of attributes than the 520s, as well as other Intel SSDs. The 320 series is a popular one so I wanted to get this build posted.

Plus the 32-bit installer still seemed to be causing grief. I had ready access to a 32-bit installation of Windows Server 2003 and tried it out there. It worked fine, after tweaking to allow installation on 2003/XP.

So while it was not originally my intent, I will support XP and Server 2003 with WindowSMART 2012 going forward.

Matthew Sawyer March 12, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Please be sure to visit Dojo North Software on Facebook too! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dojo-North-Software/161048247247136

Gardian March 12, 2012 at 7:33 pm

That much better, thank you, Vista 32 bit install bug gone.
Wow, Like the looks, when it’s done and your charging, I’m in.

I will give my win7 pro 64 bit a try, it dual boots, one drive is a normal drive and the other is a OCZ vertex 3. If you don’t hear back, all went well.
Thx again, awesome! All PC’s should have this.

Comp1962 May 21, 2012 at 2:14 am

Just installed the WindowsSmart 2012 and purchased a License. Always liked HomeServerSmart as its a must have for WHS.