Home Server SMART 2012 Public Beta released

by ZimTommy on January 25, 2012 · 6 comments

For anyone who likes to keep a very close eye on their hard drives you may be interested in the new public beta of Home Server SMART 2012 that Matt has just put out. It adds a bunch more great features to the initial version for WHS v1 he put out almost exactly two years ago.

Features New to HSS 2012

• Works with disk pooling software Drive Bender and StableBit DrivePool.
  • Default setting not only ignores virtual disks, but hides them from the UI (since they have no SMART data anyway).
  • BitLocker Drive Encryption integration – encrypt, decrypt and manage all of your volumes, whether or not those volumes have a drive letter – you can even enable the BitLocker server role from within the add-in!
  • Allows you to encrypt drives that participate in drive pools.
  • Allows you to hide disks that cannot be encrypted, decluttering the UI.
  • Allows you to make use of an HSS helper service to unlock BitLocker-encrypted USB volumes at boot time when those disks participate in disk pools. This can help ensure the disks are ready for use when the pool is started.
  • You could ignore individual problems on disks in HSS for WHS v1, but now you can un-ignore (resume) them, either on an individual basis or for all problems on all disks.
  • You can now ignore entire disks (and resume them as well) – useful for hiding flash drives and media card readers, as well as disks that you know are showing incorrect information (rare, but it’s been reported).
  • Improved the ability to stop, start and restart the HSS service.
  • Shut down or reboot your server from within the add-in.
  • Send alerts via email.
  • Bug Report Helper – runs a small self-test to detect installation problems and provide details to help in troubleshooting.
  • Don’t use, and don’t plan to use BitLocker? You can hide the BitLocker tab completely.

Be sure to head on over to the website to see all the details and grab the download. You can post here in the forums if you have any questions or feedback for Matt.

Hi there, I'm Tommy and I've been messing around with PCs and electronics since before I can remember. I had been running my own WHS "frankenserver" for a good few years before I picked up an ex490 on super special after HP has discontinued them and that's, in turn, how I found this little community of fellow enthusiasts.

Tim January 26, 2012 at 10:16 am

Thanks for the write up. I saw the add in yesterday and already have it running on three WHS 2011 servers. I installed it on one and ran it through some checks and was quite pleased. It seems to do what it says it does. So far, the only limitation that I am seeing is that it doesn’t display the SMART data on my Sans Digital eSata external drives.

Comp1962 January 27, 2012 at 12:44 am

I have it running on 2 WHS2011 servers. So far it looks great and does what its suppose to do. Picked up a an issue with 2 drives in my Highlander Server that I will need to address soon.

Matts done a find job with his Home Server Smart software. I have always recommended it and will continue to do so. No home server should run without this valuable tool.

Matthew Sawyer January 28, 2012 at 3:14 pm

@Tim please let me know what model of Sans Digital you’ve got, and what is the model of controller (and driver) to which it is attached. I have a Rosewill RSV hooked to my EX490 which interestingly did NOT report any SMART data under WHS v1, but under WHS 2011 with the latest SiI driver I get a full suite of data. So Silicon Image implemented some code in the newer, 64-bit that responds to the standard IOCTL commands, or with WMI. (I’m not going to complain.)

@Comp1962 Thanks for your feedback and recommendations.

Just an item of note too — you will get some incorrect results from SSD drives. This is because they don’t use the same attributes that HDDs use; some line up, like attribute 5 being bad sectors on HDDs or retired blocks on SSDs. But others are way different, and a good example is that on SandForce controllers (OCZ, Kingston and Patriot SSDs), they report 0/0/0 for threshold/value/worst, which Home Server SMART interprets as “exceeds specifications” (reported as Geriatric in the UI).

One individual very generously purchased me a 60 GB OCZ Agility3 SSD and so I’ve been working on coding correct behavior for SandForce based SSDs. Others should be fairly similar to implement. The same individual also offered to loan me his Intel SSD for similar testing.

Comp1962 January 28, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Thanks for the info Matt, I have not yet jumped on the SSD Band Wagon I am going to wait for the technology to mature more.

Tim January 28, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Hi Matthew,

I have the following:

SansDigital TowerRaid TR8M+B
with RR622 Dual-Port eSATA 6Gb/s PCIe 2.0 x1 RAID Controller
RocketRAID 622 SATA Controller driver version 1.1.9.1221
driver files: rr62x.sys
HighPoint RCM Device driver version 1.1.9.1221
driver files: no files listed

Please let me know if that helps.

thanks,
tim

Matthew Sawyer January 28, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the info. Bad news. Home Server SMART doesn’t support RAID controllers, unfortunately, at least not in a RAID configuration, mainly because this would require me to have access to the proprietary APIs from the vendors–something they charge a premium price for.

But the bad news may get even worse…I had another user contact me about their Rocket RAID and not even HD Sentinel could read the data. I personally think HD Sentinel is the best SMART program out there for any version of Windows. Give HD Sentinel a try and see if you an get data.

Matt