Sneak Preview – Lian Li PC-Q25B Mini-ITX Tower Case

by Damian on December 4, 2011 · 10 comments

My Lian Li PC-Q25B Mini-ITX Tower Case just arrived a few days ago. Supporting up to 7 3.5in Hard Drives, this could be the perfect case for a small  DIY Home Server build. I need to decide if I will just recycle some parts from one of my unused PCs or get new parts, but once I get that squared away its build time! Stay tuned…

EDIT – Full review/writeup just posted – http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2012/01/02/review-lian-li-pc-q25b-black-mini-itx-tower-computer-case/

Adam December 4, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Congrats on your purchase. I’ve had a Mini-ITX wish list for a while and was getting set to act on it…and the Hard Drives I’d been looking at went from $79 to $199. Oops. Guess I waited too long. So, I’ll be sticking with my EX470 for yet longer.

For the Lian Li Mini’s, both the Q08 and the Q25 look very attractive.

Can you post pictures from various angles of the LL case next to an HP MSS so I can get a scope of the size difference? That would be very useful.

Thanks and good luck with the build.

Damian December 5, 2011 at 5:20 am

A weird thing happened last night, my 2 yr old went to bed before 6pm and my 4yr stayed with my mom, so I got most of the build done already. Just have to get the PSU squared away and everything connected.

I heat ya on the hard drives. I had been slowly replacing my .5-1.5TB drives in my WHS with 2TB drives when prices were still $60-$70, so I have some extra drives lying around now to use.

I will definitely post a lot of pics with my writeup. I no long own an MSS but I will see if I can find something to use as a good comparison pick to give you an idea.

Cheers

580guy December 5, 2011 at 4:12 pm

No longer own an MSS? Sad….so sad…sigh.

Ahh..for the good ol’ days. EX495 still serving me well. But love that case. Was considering an ITX build too. But first, to put WHS 2011 on the EX495. Waiting for FlexRAID to mature a little first.

Nice build though Damian!!

Comp1962 December 13, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I like the case alot will be very interested to see what you do with it. I like the backplane and am curious if the backplane acts as a Portmultiplier where you only need to run 1 cable to it provided the SATA Port supports portmultipliers or are there individual connections for each backplane slot? Is the finish on the enclosure a finger print magnet?

Damian December 14, 2011 at 7:29 am

I should have a full writeup posted next week. I finished putting together last week and took all my pictures, but haven’t had a chance to load an OS on it yet (it did boot up though phew). Wiring definitely gets tricky due to space constraints

With the backplane you need to run individual connections from each slot.

I did not notice any finger print issues but I will take a closer look at

Comp1962 December 28, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I keep looking at the case and the specs on it indicate there are 2 External 5.25″ Bays and 7 Internal 3/5″ Bays with 5 being Hot Swappable. I can clearly see the 5 Hot Swappable bays and possibly the other 2 3.5″ Bays but can not see the 2 5.25″ Bays. Can you confirm the existance an location of the 2 5.25″ Bays or is that a misprint?

From what I see about this case is that its looks to be an easy case for an Mini ITX Build especially if you install a processor with a rather large cooler. Lately all my builds have been Mini ITX with the only exception being my primary WHS2011 Server I affectionately call Highlander.

Damian December 29, 2011 at 6:40 am

Misprint. There are definitely no external bays.

There are 5 hot swap bays and a tray underneath the hot swap bays where you can mount 3 additional drives (getting 3 would probably be tough because you would need a SATA card assuming no Mini-ITX boards support 8 SATA connections.

Took my final pics last night so hope to have the writeup posted over the next day or two as time permits.

Mark December 16, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Can’t wait for the pictures, looks like a nice size and 7 hard drives, way cool.

Damian December 16, 2011 at 6:36 pm

The build and pics are done. Hope to load WHS 2011 on it this weekend, and should have my writeup done next week.. You can actually fit 8 drives (5 being hot swap)

Damian January 2, 2012 at 5:14 pm