Zappiti Coming To iOS

by Damian on November 30, 2011 · 19 comments

Zappiti, my go to video jukebox for my Dune media players has just announced that the official iOS App should be hitting iTunes in the coming weeks. For those who don’t know, Zappiti is an application that will aggregate your local movie and TV show library, gather all appropriate fanart/metadata, and export a feature rich jukebox for viewing/playback view the Dune HD line of media players. The app is expected to go for EUR 14.99 which some may consider a little to pricey for what you get. However, if it brings seamless integration between iOS, Zappiti, and my Dune players it may be worth the price (as opposed to having to pick up my 2 yr old, take him to the TV screen, and have him point at what he wants to watch!). Of course I also hope that there is an Android app just around the corner. Below are a few screenshots as well as a brief video. For more information on Zappiti make sure you check out my guide on how to set up as well as my review on the Dune Smart D1.

Rob November 30, 2011 at 12:28 pm

15 Euro seems a bit pricey to me. There is an (cheaper) alternative in the form of the mymovies app. I used both versions (for PC) and honestly mymovies is years ahead in functionality and stability. It seems almost unfair to compare the two. Only plus would be that TV series are supported, but mymovies will add this in the future as well. I for one will definately wait untill mymovies first to add TV. If Zappiti gets stable and adds music support and a editable database……maybe.

Damian November 30, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Ironic, I have the exact opposite experience. I find Zappiti to be a lot more stable then My Movies, too many times the Dune Export would get broken with My Movies, etc…. Also, TV Show support is a must so I can’t even consider My Movies for the Dune (TV Shows have been terribly unstable with My Movies on the Dune and the App doesn’t support yet).

I do agree the price may be a bit steep, but it is not necessarily comparing apples to apples with My Movies App. The MM app is cheaper but you may have to pay for additional features with Collection Management that needs to be factored in.

The way I look at it, the more choices we have , the better :)

Rob November 30, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I agree with the fact that TV is a must. So i still use the “old fashioned” remote when using my Dune. Zappiti almost always scraped only part of my library. I always needed to repeat the process several times to get all data. Mymovies has it’s downsides as well (strict rules, timelines eg. TV is being considered, but ETA’s are obscure at mymovies).

But it’s true the more choice the better. Maybe yaDIS or DFI will join in….or who knows what the plans at HDI are for there own jukebox which is announced.

Damian November 30, 2011 at 12:52 pm

It is crazy how so many people can get such different results with these jukeboxes. We have a lot of TV shows archived that the wife and boys use, so having the jukebox interface, thumbnails, descriptions, etc… is a must.

I will probably revisit DFI when Dune HD fixes the whole ISO/Folder playback issue. I also heard there are a couple other interesting jukebox options out there that might piggyback off some of the data we already have (either via Dune HD internal jukebox or 3rd party).

If the Dunes eventually upgrade the Sigma Chip who knows what that will do for the current jukeboxes. I know for the PCH with the A300 and the newer Sigma chip the html jukeboxes used with the 200 and 100 series are no longer supported

GreenEyez December 7, 2011 at 2:22 pm

From my point of view it`s kinda of a rippof.

The XBMC remote app XBMC Constellation costs 99 cents for the iPhone version, 3.99 for the iPad, and also gives cool stuff like gesture based controls instead of the regular d-pad.

The Plex iOS app also costs 3.99 and, besides regular library browsing and control over you Plex client, gives you the ability to stream you content from the Plex Media server onto the iPad/iPhones/Android phone/tablet, with options to choose the disired bitrate and resolution according to your wi-fi connection (ranging from 480p 750kbps to 20Mbps 1080p). And you can stream you content via 3G when you`re on the go, and not on your local Wifi.

Compared to these features, the Zappiti app looks like a big ripoff.

GreenEyez December 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm

*desired, damn typo

Damian December 7, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Pricing is always a hot topic. I can’t quantify how much should be charged, but same as you I look around at the competition. Even if you compare the Zappiti App to My Movies there is a big discrepancy in price (My Movies I think is $6). Really, all that you can hope for is more competition as that will either help drive the prices down or risk alienating potential consumers. If you are a Dune user (for which Zappiti is targeted) obviously the XBMC stuff doesn’t apply.

I actually use Remote Potato for streaming to my Android/iOS (similar to Plex)

Derrick December 13, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I am having a hard time understanding why you would want to do that on your ipad. I have an ipad and a couple of Dunes but enjoy watching Zappiti on the big screen rather than the ipad. And watching I mean the actual functions of going though the movies on Zappiti, selecting it, then starting to play it.

I would use the remote feature but would prefer to pick and choose the movies on the tvs.

Maybe I am missing something?

I would have to say I rarely have problems with Zappiti either Damian. I wonder if its more related to other users setups rather than Zappiti itself.

I love Zappiti. I would easily pay the same price the app is priced at…but would not pay that price for the app.

Damian December 13, 2011 at 4:52 pm

For me the reason would be my kids. We use Zappiti a lot for my 2 boys (age 4 and 2). It would be a lot easier for us just to hand them the iPad w/ Zappiti and let them choose what they want to watch (with my 2 yr old I have to pick him up and take him to the tv so he can point at what he wants to see). They are pros with the iPad already!!!

Otherwise I have no desire to use a big tablet in place of my harmony remote which fits in one hand and doesn’t require me to look down at it to use.

As far as Zappiti functionality I hear ya. Honestly it works great for me. There are of course a few nagging issues but really not major. I am sure it has to do with a combination of user setup and expectations. The Dune is not an HTPC and so in the same token I don’t expect Zappiti to perform with the same amount of flexibility that comes with HTPC software.

Cheers
Damian

Derrick December 13, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Ahh they kids! Always forget about them…probably because I don’t have any yet. But yeah that make a lot more sense!

Kenny December 30, 2011 at 6:38 am

Hello Damian,

Does Zappiti works with Mede8er, and Mediagate HD800 players?
How is it compare to YamJ?
Thanks!

Damian December 30, 2011 at 6:41 am

Hi Kenny,

No, it is currently specific to the Dune players. The concept itself is very similar to YAMJ. YAMJ has a lot more flexibility/customization. However, Zappiti you actually see on your PC exactly what the jukebox will look like on your Dune

Kenny December 30, 2011 at 8:36 am

Damian,

Thank you very much for your promp reply.

It’s sad that I can’t use Zappiti since I had 2 Mede8ers, a Mediagate; but 1 Dune only :-(
Do you know any other apps can works for both Dune and Mede8er?

Regards,
Kenny

Damian December 30, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Unfortunately know as the Mede8er only supports YAMJ. I have asked around about getting YAMJ support for the Dune but that didn’t get anywhere. YAMJ on the Mede8er works ok, even though it is sort of a watered down YAMJ (for me the biggest missing piece is no proper TV Show support)

Kenny December 31, 2011 at 8:42 am

Good morning Damian,

It’s looks like I have no choice, but stuck with My Movies for now. Thank you very much for everything. Wish you and your family a happy new year.

Best regards,
Kenny

Damian December 31, 2011 at 9:56 am

Kenny,

For My Movies try deleting your entire jukebox and re exporting. Hopefully that should resolve your missing covers.

Happy and Healthy New Years to you and your family as well :)

Cheers
Damian

Jeroen de G January 5, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I’ve bought the app and I don’t have any regrets. It works like a charm with my HD Smart D1.
The only features that would make this app even better was if that the Remote Controls can be access directly instead of by starting a movie and
if it would be possible to hide certain Remote Control buttons. (I don’t want my 3-yr old touching the aspect ratio/setup buttons.) About the price: It’s not cheap in comparison to other apps but with the ease of use I think it’s 14,99 well spent

Damian January 11, 2012 at 7:21 am

I would be more then willing to purchase the Zappiti App. However, first the developers need to fix bugs introduced with the latest beta Zappiti that keeps me from using the latest version (which is needed to use the App)

Jason March 19, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I’m currently using the Z-iPad app but my iPad is connected to my Mac and Zappiti is running my my Windows 7 machine.

What seems a bit awkward to me is updating my iPad with the Z data. I have to connect my iPad and drag the new Z for iPad over to my iTunes to sync it up.

What am I doing wrong and is there an easier method to updating Zappiti for iPad than having to tether it?

Thanks,