MediaSmart Server LED Management for Windows Home Server 2011

by Alex Kuretz on June 23, 2011 · 12 comments

A developer named Louis who goes by the forum name “lpn” has notified me that he has a working driver and service for the MediaSmart Server to allow the LEDs to function under Windows Home Server 2011. So far the driver is not packaged as an Add-In, and only supports a limited number of hardware models, but this may interest many of you that have followed our guides on how to upgrade the MediaSmart Server hardware to Windows Home Server 2011.

You can read all about the LED management software, download the latest version, and share your feedback at WeGotServed.com. If you give it a try, be sure to post here or in the forums to let us know how it’s working for you.

ZimTommy June 24, 2011 at 12:13 am

Hmmmmm interesting…… Hope he manages to pull it off nicely…

Techvet June 24, 2011 at 10:35 am

Crazy as it may seem, this is one of those things that is holding me back testing WHS2011 with my spare EX495. That and the loss of DE. But it is looking like both items are nearing the point where I might want to give it a try. I still think it is a shame that HP won’t help us out with some simple code for the LEDs.

JazJon June 27, 2011 at 5:15 am

LED Drive Lights are now active once again on my EX495. (and health light is solid) I’m also enjoying StableBit Drive Pool across 8 drives. (love it)

JazJon June 29, 2011 at 4:06 am

Typo alert, you put Windows Home Server 2001 instead of 2011

Alex Kuretz June 29, 2011 at 8:34 am

Fixed, thanks.

Al West July 7, 2011 at 10:13 am

Works fine on my EX490 :-) Nice one – thanks.

BigDel August 17, 2011 at 8:45 am

Excellent, This worked perfectly on my EX495 after following every detail of the Text file, like installing the driver. I have 2 drives with steady blue lights and one blinking (Not used by Server YET, contains info from WHS V1.

anees February 5, 2012 at 2:50 am

hi,
i have ex495 and i have installed whs2011 org oem version,
can u please tell me how i install display, audio and also no lights to showing hdds.

T.Reis August 17, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Thanks Alex. This just completes the WHS2011 installation on the MSS.

Dan January 11, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I have an HP x310 with WHS 2011. I installed the driver for the lights.
Light number 1 is solid blue. Light # 2 is blinking.
Why does Light 2 blink? Is there a resolution for the blinking light.

Keith February 27, 2012 at 12:26 am

I have an EX495 with 3 drives, 1 x 1TB and 2 x 2TB (mirrored). I also have all aqua lights except for the last-added 2TB drive which is blinking. I had thought this was because it was showing in Disk Management as ‘Resyncing’, but the resync is complete now and it is showing ‘Healthly’ but still blinking…

{ 1 trackback }