Remote Potato v1.0 Now Launched – Major Update

by Damian on May 20, 2011 · 15 comments

I am always on the lookout for great Apps to enhance the digital home and media streaming. A few months ago I came across an App called Remote Potato which interacted with Windows Media Center to allow the user to remotely control your Windows Media Center Recordings, stream archived content remote, as well as many other features. Well, today the developers of Remote Potato has just released v1.0 with some major updates.See below for more information, and as always stayed tuned for my writeup which I hope to have posted in the next week or two :-)

Updates:

I’m thrilled to announce the release of Remote Potato v1.0 – with several major new features:
  • Fully seekable video streaming in new, ultra-high quality H264.
  • Stream your pictures / videos / music –  all major formats supported.
  • Remote Control, Slideshow, Music, Series Record Options – and more.
  • Server now runs on Windows XP / Vista / 7 : stream your stuff from any PC!*
  • Mobile Apps available for iPhone / Android / Windows Phone 7
  • Still completely free

About Remote Potato:

RemotePotato brings your media to you, wherever you are. Videos, recorded TV, music, pictures, it’s all instantly accessible over the Internet, streamed live from your home.

Wherever you are in the world, all you need is a normal web browser to access your media. (watch demo) Videos are streamed in stunning quality – AVI, MP4 files, Quicktime – most major formats are supported.  If you have an iPhone or mobile device, we have an app to make things even neater. Never sync your mobile again!

Windows 7 Media Center owners benefit from full integration with their home PVR – schedule recordings, browse the EPG, stream recorded TV shows and more

It’s easy – and free! Download the server app to get started, or watch Remote Potato in action.

Alex Kuretz May 20, 2011 at 10:40 am

Sounds very interesting, I look forward to a more detailed writeup!

Damian May 20, 2011 at 10:51 am

I actually had all my screenshots done and was ready to post, but the build I was using was an older version. Since I knew the newer version was coming out soon and had a lot of updates decided to hold off. There was a lot of promise, need to look closer to see if streaming performance has been improved

Jim Metcalf May 20, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Damian,

Do you know the bandwidth requirements?

Does it transcode everything on the fly to h264 and stream it over http?

If it can stream 1080p over the net, it could be a real game changer because you should be able to easily stream it over a wireless home network.

Damian May 20, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Jim,

When I tested the earlier version of Couch Potato it allowed you to actually adjust the quality requirement to meet your bandwidth needs. It does transcode on the fly (I didn’t check if this was for every format), I did this by simply forwarding the port that it was installed on my WHS.

I did struggle with the PQ when I was testing the streaming (almost like it was having deinterlacing issues), but this was for the earlier version. I need to test with the new version to see if there have been improvement. Keep in mind that it is more the ability to stream high bitrate content that is important (I can easily have a 1080p video that has a drastically lower bitrate then a full 1080p BluRay rip, and thus the streaming requirements would be different). Also, I would assume that the ability to transode properly will also hinge on having a CPU that handle this intensive process.

Gardian May 28, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Looks like this has some promise, if it had DLNA it could just about replace Twonky. Well, a rock could just about replace twonky, this would be way better then a rock, :-) Go for it Potato! Blow Twonky out of the way!

Comp1962 May 28, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I could not intstall this on my ProLiant because the software does not work with AMD Opteron Processors so I installed it on my WHS2011 test server and then accesses the media stored on my WHS v1 server. What I can say at this point is it works, appears to work well with MKV files which is the only thing I had an interest to test it with. I will be spending time testing it to see how much I can actually push it to see how it performs with multiple connections both local and remote. The WHS2100 test server only has 4GB RAM and has an AMD BE2300 Duel Core CPU so its not the most powerful unit out there but its good enough to do some testing with. I do not use WMC all that much but my real interest is in the remote streaming capabilities. So far I like what I see but will know more by this time next week as I slowely allow others to test it out to give me their opinion and compare it the other ways I can currently stream remote.

Comp1962 June 3, 2011 at 8:47 am

As I indicated earlier I am running this on a WHS2011 server with an AMD Duel Core BE2300 and those who have tested it out for me this week like it very much. They like it better then ORB and SubSonic for online video streaming of DVD’s ripped in MKV format. I have requested they test the Blu-Ray rips which are also in MKV Format which have been difficult to stream online so I will let those interested in knowing how they work out.

So far it looks like I may have a solution other than the private links I generally create within ORB to share my media which is too time consuming and at times problematic when saving the newly added files to the links.

Damian June 3, 2011 at 8:50 am

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I am working on getting a few hardware reviews done in the next week and then I want to re-tackle Remote Potato. The earlier version I had tested choked on the high bitrate stuff, so it will be interesting to see what improvements if any have been made

Comp1962 June 3, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Oh yea there was one quirk about it that I did not have any luck with and that is the option for slower performing PC’s so I advised those testing it out for me to avoid it for the time being. I will ask them to try that part out to see what results if any appear. What I have been told so far is the settings as they are when you select a movie were the best left at the standard settings. When you increase the bit rate it stops and starts.

The one issue for me in testing is anything I test here always works great. Testing outside the home by others provides me with better information.

Comp1962 June 19, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Damian have you had time to play with Remote Potato to see how it handles your high bitrate stuff and if so how did it work out?

Damian June 20, 2011 at 11:42 am

I ended up having to do a clean reinstall of W7 on my PC last weekend, so I haven’t had a chance to reinstall Remote Potato. Hopefully in the next few days

Comp1962 June 20, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Before you install it you may want to download the newer version just recently released I have not noticed any difference with the new version but just wanted to make you aware a new version was released.

On another note this weekend I resumed testing it and there was a lag when the folders loaded up. I do not believe this to be from the software itself but possibly from installing either or both PD12 and Stablebit Drive Pooling software. One person testing things out for me indicated the stream started with a slight lag then took off without further issue. Again this may be caused by PD12 or Stablebit and not Remote Potato.

Comp1962 July 10, 2011 at 1:52 am

Today I installed Remote Potato v1.3.3 on my new WHS2011 Server I named Highlander. This version corrected the alphabetical order issue the previous version had. What I am most happy about is today I had my gf test a stream of a Blu-Ray movie and it played well only stopping once in the middle but this is a big hurdle for me as my other servers were not able to stream Blu-Rays longer than like 1 min before stopping. Some of this is of course the hardware running the software but its all good.

Casey Parman August 1, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I recently started using this. I found a lot of my music wouldn’t play it would buffer for a sec then just move on to the next one. In my experience the HP Media Streamer still works better for me.

I also installed the auto codecs.

{ 1 trackback }