Microsoft Releases Update Rollup 2 (UR2) for Windows Home Server

by Alex Kuretz on January 26, 2011 · 23 comments

Microsoft still can’t tell you how Windows Home Server Vail will protect your data after the removal of Drive Extender (and are apparently looking for a new home for the Home Server Team), yet yesterday they released Update Rollup 2 for Windows Home Server v1.

Note that you will need to have Power Pack 3 and hotfix 979453 (aka Update Rollup 1 or UR1) installed before you can install UR2.

The update contains the following fixes:

Issue 1
Assume that you use Windows Internet Explorer 9 to access the computer page of the Windows Home Server Remote Access website. In this situation, your connection fails if your Windows Home Server Remote Access website is not added to the trusted sites zone.

Issue 2
The TV archive add-in in Media Center fails on the TV archive page after you change the calendar to the Japanese format.

Issue 3
The uninstallation process fails on your first attempt to uninstall Windows Home Server Power Pack 3 Client Connector from a home computer.

Issue 4
When you shut down a home computer, Windows Home Server may report that antivirus software is not installed or is out of date. This occurs even though the antivirus software is installed and up-to-date.

Issue 5
A home computer that is joined to one of the following servers is not blocked when the computer tries to join Windows Home Server:

* The next version of Windows Home Server
* Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials
* Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials

This causes software compatibility issues.

Issue 6
The current version of Identity Client Run Time Library that is included in Windows Home Server contains a potential privacy issue.

Issue 7
A function call may fail if you use the Windows Home Server software development kit (SDK) to retrieve user information on a German or French version of Windows Home Server.

Issue 8
The Remote Access website may be vulnerable to cross-site request forgery attacks.

If you have Automatic Updates enabled you may already have this update installed on your Home Server. My client PCs also all automatically updated the client software with this new update. However you should be aware that some users are encountering issues with the update (thanks forum member mitch672 for bringing this to our attention).

Let us know in the comments or forums how UR2 is working out for you.

Sebastian January 27, 2011 at 12:40 am

I installed the update manually via web browser. My Acer H340 did well, rebooted once and was back online. However, the two HP X312 I manage (at my parents and at a small company) rebooted once, then asked to be rebooted again, and hung up completely… Had to get someone to power the boxes off and on again. Came alive afterwards…

Mike S January 27, 2011 at 3:38 am

The client update only seems to be a problem for 32bit PCs. I had to manually uninstall/re-install on those. None of my 64bit PCs had any problems and did not appear to require a client software update

Eidos January 27, 2011 at 7:55 am

I had the same issue, my 32 bit computer did not install and asked to be updated and rebooted. My six 64 bit machines updated automatically.

Matt S. January 27, 2011 at 8:32 am

It would’ve been really nice if they included a storage subsystem driver update to properly allow Advanced Format disks!

JJU January 27, 2011 at 9:14 am

I am having issues with upgrading the connector software on 3 different machines. #1 is my desktop running Wondows 7 Pro 64 bit. #2 is my lap top running Windows 7 Home 64 bit and #3 is my old stand by XP 32 bit machine. The connector software will not update on any of the machines. I decided to sacrifice the lap top as a ginny pig and unistalled the connector software and tried installing it again via http://servername:55000 and now I get a HTTP Error 401.3 and can go nowhere from there. I do not want to try this from the desktop as I am at least use the connector to get into the server that way.

I have been looking at every WHS forum that I know of for help and nothing is working ao I have no idea as to what to fo next.

BTW the server is an HP EX-470 with the correct versions of upgrades and from the looks of things the upgrade push to the server did work but not the connector. All three computers were off when the patch was sent from Microsoft. Also the server and computers have been rebooted a number of times in this process.

Jon January 27, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I am experiencing the same exact problem as JJU. Everything has gone to h3ll and back since it updated yesterday.

Cubanblood January 27, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I have not checked if my server installed the update automatically but it rebooted the other day while i was watching a movie on my HTPC so will assume it did. I have not experience any of the reported problems. I dont know if the console was either but it working fine on all the computers. I will check as soon as my server finishes removing a failed drive.

Techvet January 27, 2011 at 7:19 pm

So far so good with my X510. Server updated yesterday morning. I got home tonight and the first client updated automatically. 4 more to go.

Decairn January 28, 2011 at 7:55 pm

JJU this worked for me.

From the MS forums.

Manually uninstall the Connector software (via control panel, add/remove programs) then install the new Connector software found in your “Software” shared folder. That would be \\YourServernameHere\Software\Home Server Connector Software\setup.exe. Perform the uninstall and then run the Setup.exe on each client machine to restore a properly working WHS Connector. This process will install the latest Connector software and all should work as it did before.

Comp1962 January 29, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I ran into connector issues where I was unable to connect to my server console. On the Win 7 Client I just used Discovery.exe to correct the issue but this did not work on and XP Client. I found this post in the forums which correct the issue for me on the XP Client. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10074

Its like a leaky hose in your car. You fix it and a leak appears elsewhere.

Jon January 29, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Thanks for everyone’s help with the Console problem. Now that I have that working again on the Win XP machines, I can not get the “port forwarding” to work with the new update. Nothing has changed with the router since this update, but everytime I go to settings within the Console and turn off/on the Remote Access, I get the typical “Port forwarding on your router may not be working properly. Your Web site may not be available on the Internet” warning. Has anyone else had this problem? As I said before, it was all working before the MS Update!!

Thanks!

Comp1962 January 29, 2011 at 5:57 pm

@ Jon ~ I would for the moment ignore the message and try to confirm if there is a connectivity issue or not. In the past WHS has flagged that same message yet there was no issue with connectivity. I know its annoying but please confirm if you have a connectivty issue or not.

Wakkas January 30, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I second that Decairn comment above, i did not uninstall or reboot anything and just went to home server’s SOFTWARE share -> Home Server Connector Software -> ran setup.exe and it uninstalled the old version and installed the latest version without any issue and i am back up

thanks guys

Cubanblood February 1, 2011 at 7:14 am

I dont know if this is going to help everyone of you having issues but i too had this issue and after 3 days and breaking my head it got fixed by accident. I had to reboot the switch where the server and the desktop is connected to because of an update and after that everything worked again. I think what fixed it was rebooting the switch. After that rebooted the router where the other server is plug in and that one too started working. I did not boot the servers, just the switches. Hope this helps.

Jon February 2, 2011 at 5:43 pm

@ Comp1962, Thanks for the information. Yes, I have tested things out and I do have connectivity and all the ports are being forwarded. And, I am ignoring the message at this point. I am just REALLY annoyed that things WERE working and now they are not. But I guess that is the nature of building and working with computers. One day they work and another day they don’t.

diehard February 21, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Has anybody tried reinstalling the v1 connector when testing WHS2011 ? I have a few folks telling me that once they install the WHS2011 connector for a test server, they can not reinstall the v1 connector which according to issue 5, should work. It was posible before the update.

Alex Kuretz February 21, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Diehard, I read item 5 as they fixed the issue where previously you could join to both servers and now you no longer can.

diehard February 22, 2011 at 5:56 am

ok thanks. I misunderstood what it does. I’ll have to uninstall this update so I can run both connectors as I did in the past while I continue to test WHS2011.

Gary Kryshka March 8, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I am having an issue with my Win 7 (X64) and installing the WHS connector. I have ran from my server and from my PC and both do not install. The last error message in OEM log is
Info 1923.Service MediaCollectorService (MediaCollectorService) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.
Action ended 14:55:11: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
Then it rolls back the install and popup message to try again. At this point I have not received the logon screen so I suspect I do not have proper authority. How do I get around this.

Alex Kuretz March 8, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Hi Gary, I don’t recall seeing that issue. You’ll likely get more response by posting in the forums, where we can more easily ask questions, share screenshots, etc.

Gary Kryshka March 8, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I will repost in the forum. Thanks.

Schrammbo February 15, 2012 at 9:29 am

After applying the update i still receive error under Issue 1, gets to the ‘verifying’ stage of setting up Remote Web Access and then the Dashboard.exe process fails. I have not been able to setup remote web access for about 5 months now. And nothing has changed.

Schrammbo February 15, 2012 at 10:31 am

Well i corrected the issue, I deleted the manual port forward settings in my router, restarted the Windows Domain Name registration service and reran the Remote Web Access wizard, it’s all working now.