XBMC Now Available For AppleTV 2, iPhone, and iPad

by Damian on January 21, 2011 · 13 comments

Could we soon be approaching a time where XBMC is on every device known to man??? It sure seems that way. Following up on the recent announcement that Sigma was porting XBMC over to its SoC, the folks at XBMC have just announced that XBMC is now available for install on the AppleTV 2, iPhone, and iPad. Now before you get too excited keep in mind that to do this you are required to have a jailbroken Apple device. If you happen to have such a device, well then what are you waiting for??? I am still waiting for the untethered jailbreak to be released for iOS 4.2, and then hopefully I will have a few Apple devices to try this out on as well! If you do get XBMC installed on one of your Apple devices please comment back here on your experience. Happy hacking everyone.

goondog January 21, 2011 at 12:00 pm

hi Damian.
wow feels like just the other day i was looking for the “one”
this may push me over the edge to get a new atv2.
being able to do all the apply/netflix/pics things and then flip over to xbmc would be sweet!!
i tried it last night on my iphone4 (4.1) and it worked!!
im amazed that all that could be in the palm of your hand.
typing your shares in is a PIA but i was able to stream a 24gbMKV rip of my avatarBD disk with just a little jitter. not sure i want to look and use the app on the small iphone screen for long so that might be more of a novelty than a real application.
may need to go ahead and get a refurb ipad1 now and mate it to the new atv2.
very cool news and pretty amazing that things move so fast!!

Damian January 21, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Yeah, as I mentioned, XBMC for everyone! I think for an ATV I would be more interested if/when the next ATV comes out and supports 1080p output as well as HD Audio.

As far as the iPad/iPhone, I am anxiously awaiting the untethered jailbreak for 4.2.1 so I can test out!!!

Rhinoevans January 21, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Does it do MKV?

Damian January 21, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I believe that is part of the point of the jailbreak, to open up the Apple devices to other formats (including mkv). I can’t remember for sure when I jailbroke my old ATV if mkv worked, but I want to say the answer is yes.

Anthony Toste January 22, 2011 at 9:29 am

The things is XBMC is nothing more fancy front-end, It lack any real DVR/PVR functionality so there is useless.

Damian January 22, 2011 at 9:46 am

Agreed, If DVR/PVR functionality is something you are looking for I would definitely recommend a SageTV HD300:

Anthony Toste January 22, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I know that Damian this is SHSPVR

Rhinoevans January 22, 2011 at 11:36 am

I guess you could say that XBMC is a terrible gaming machine too!!! XBMC is a fancy front end, and a VERY GOOD one at that. I spent a lot of cash building an HTPC, and now for $99 you can have the same thing!! Useless, I dont think so.

DVR…..TIVO baby.

Damian January 22, 2011 at 11:57 am

Well, I look at the PVR/DVR function this way. XBMC was never meant to be a PVR/DVR front end (they are looking at possibly adding the functionality due to user request). Also, ATV or many of the other media players are not meant to be DVR/PVRs, so even if XBMC did support the player itself may not allow for.

Also, keep in mind, there are still limitations to what ATV2 + XBMC can do. It cannot output 1080p, only 720p. It also cannot bitstream HD Audio. These are two big items for me when it comes to a media player and this setup fails in both cases

J0539h January 23, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I’m a Windows user, so I used Sn0wbreeze to jailbreak my Apple TV2 IOS 4.1
After a few months, nothing exciting showed up, so upgraded to IOS 4.2.1
now XBMC comes out and I can downgrade to 4.0 and jailbreak it again, BUT SSH does NOT work, I’m screwed, waiting for the 4.3 jailbreak to come out, unless someone here knows how to fix this. All the tutorials are for Pwnagetool on MAC, which I don’t need.

Damian January 23, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I am waiting for the untethered jailbreak for 4.2.1 (I am a windows user as well). Hopefully it will be arriving soon (I will be happy sticking with 4.2.1 and not updating to 4.3 anytime soon)

J0539h January 24, 2011 at 11:27 am

Found a .ipsw custom firmware of IOS4.1 for the ATV2 online.
As of 1-23-2010 at 10:08pm, I am a proud owner of XMBC on ATV2.
Cigars for everyone.

DN January 24, 2011 at 2:03 pm

what tutorial and software package did you use to do the jailbreak?