More on the MediaSmart Server Power Supply

by Alex Kuretz on May 29, 2010 · 19 comments

in Guides

One of the very first things we noticed about the EX490, EX495, and Data Vault X510 was how quiet they are, in large part thanks to the new power supply in these newer models. I determined the manufacturer and model number of the new power supply in my in-depth hardware guide for the new servers, and a quickly asked question was whether the new power supply was compatible with the EX470 and EX485 series servers. We had previously published a guide on how to replace the power supply in your EX470 or EX485 MediaSmart Server, but a directly swappable part would be much more useful since the current replacement process requires the rewiring of the power connector.

I recently had one of each server apart and decided to take a look to see how compatible the new power supplies are. I’m happy to report that the Delta GPS-200AB power supply that comes with the EX49x and Data Vaults is a perfect fit with the EX48x and EX47x series of MediaSmart Servers, and requires only 3 screws to remove the power supply from the motherboard mounting cage. The fit is not as exactingly tight like it is in the EX495, but the difference is minute and once screwed into place the slight gap is irrelevant.

Interestingly, the power supply is the same as in the Acer easyStore H340 Home Server, though the wiring harness is not the same and so is likely not a suitable replacement part for the HP servers.

I did some brief investigation and did not find an easy source for these power supplies, so I wanted to open it up to the resourceful community and see if anyone else is able to find these, as I know that they might be a popular upgrade for users who are either unhappy with the sound level of their existing older server or in need of a replacement. Post in the comments if you find a good source!

Ryan May 29, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Awesome. I was going to move to the 495 just to have a quieter box, I end up putting my EX485 to sleep 90% of the time now and have to manually send it a WOL packet to bring it up when I want to access something on it.

I scoured eBay, Google, etc and could not find a way to source these.

Comp1962 May 29, 2010 at 6:11 pm

It would be interesting to find a supplier but better if HP would just make replacement power supply units available for purchase. Now Delta power supplies may be somewhat easier to find but the particular unit maybe proprietary to HP resulting in you having to custom wire the unit should you be able to find a similar unit.

Qbjack May 30, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Does somebody have the partnumber for that EX49x PSU? Would be much easier to search…

Eidos May 31, 2010 at 7:43 am

I have said if many times, HP needs to sell spare parts for these servers. The investment I have in two with all the drives and time is crazy. The lack of spare parts is a poor decision on their behalf and I feel they do not want to support this product. I own 8 HP computers and can rebuild them in my sleep. Why not a server.

My DIY server runs cooler and faster than the HPs and unfortunately I would have to seriously wonder if I would ever buy a third server from HP without proper spare parts support.

I have three servers now and my experience is at a level that I can say that HP should step up and support the thousands of users who have invested in this technology.

welchwerks May 31, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Product ID: PSPSU150AC150 150 watt i will go this route when my second power supply goes out

Dave Heckendorf June 3, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Does HP provide parts for the StorageWorks X310/X510 Data Vaults? Since Alex has noted the X510 is basically a re-naming of the EX495 and that the X310 uses the same power supply as the EX49x models, might this be way to get replacement/upgrade power supplies for the EX47x/EX48x?

Just a thought.

Comp1962 June 3, 2010 at 6:46 pm

@ Dave Heckendorf ~ The problem is that HP has not made any of their MSS or Data Vault Power Supplies available for purchase. Now if that has changed I would very much appreciate it if some one would post a link so I could purchase one.

Until that day happens we have to purchase know working replacements and rewire them as per the instructions in the WIKI.

Dave Heckendorf June 4, 2010 at 10:49 am

I get that for the MSS models HP views them as a whole device and thus does not provide spare parts; but, for the Data Vault versions, do they really expect that the businesses they are targeting with these are going to want to wait for a complete system replacement?

HP provides a 3 year warranty on the Data Vaults and still doesn’t want to provide spare parts for the major components? Also, I’m more than a little surprised that they aren’t offering 5/8 or 24/7 and NBD or 4hr CarePaq options on the Data Vaults like they do on their Proliant servers (which I would honestly recommend businesses consider along with an OEM license of WHS to put on it instead at that rate)…

SirNoBull June 23, 2010 at 10:11 pm

How about this one: http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/270-watt-power-supply-FSP270-60LE.php.

The following url posts both PSU’s as a direct replacement for ex470 and ex475.

Hope this helps. If somebody gets it I would appreciate any comment on noise levels.

Alex Kuretz June 24, 2010 at 8:56 am

The pinout is non-standard on the MediaSmart Server power supply connector, and this company has been discussed in the forums for misleading advertising on Ebay and their site.

Comp1962 June 24, 2010 at 3:46 pm

A while back I sent an email to ATXPowerSuppiles on eBay and never received a replay regarding the pinout configuration of their so called direct replacement PSU’s.

SirNoBull June 24, 2010 at 9:01 pm

My bad Alex. It seems that they are not the only ones doing this. Found yet another one claiming the same. I have not seen the WIKI documentation before, so again… I was wrong, I apologize.

Having said that. I am REALLY getting sick and tired of HP and alike. They It seems that the only way they are trying to grow is to screw their own customers – very dangerous and shortsighted business model.

Tuoppi74 November 9, 2011 at 7:25 am

Guess what… I lost my PSU in my MSS EXT475 last week. Contacted the HP support nad basically went though all the ‘same song and dance’ that probably most of you have. The fact that HP offers no spare parts is bad. The fact that you can basically find a suitable PSU for 50$ and not have it work with your MSS is mind boggling. If the only thing that sets these units apart is the pinout configuration of the 20 pin motherboard connector I would imagine that a 5$ adapter would suffice! But sadly no-one seemingly has thought of this! All you’d need is a male and female connectors for the 20pin and crosscheck most of the wires and place to plug the 12v lines. I’m really considering going DIY route for my next box: standard parts all the way…

Alex Kuretz November 9, 2011 at 9:18 am

We’ve got a thorough guide on replacing the power supply if you need it. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/Replacing_the_Power_Supply

Demouser November 20, 2012 at 8:28 am

I opened up the power supply for my EX485 and noticed most of the filter caps on the output side of the supply were swollen. This indicates that the caps are bad or are going bad. I’m going to attempt to replace all the capacitors, there are about 12, five of which are “pregnant”. Wish me luck, there is hardly any room to work and it looks like it might be easy to mess up the circuit board because of the way it is designed. This is not for the feint of heart.

EX485 kept rebooting. Internet search of this symptom pointed to a bad power supply. Voltage levels are OK, but the bad caps supposedly introduce too much ripple in the output and cause repeated rebooting.

rixx April 5, 2013 at 6:34 am

Demouser,

what you describe is exactly what i’m having. even when I pull all the drives, my MSS 480 just runs for 10 seconds, then powers off, then powers itself back on for 10 seconds, then off, etc. Same when it has a full bay of drives. I’m guessing it is PSU or mobo. I have 3 kids under the age of 2 and just don’t have time to work on it. It has been down since July ’12! Now i’m putting a couple hours a week at it and repl PSU’s online are out of stock. Such a frustrating mess.

Demouser April 5, 2013 at 7:49 am

I know what it’s like to have 3 kids. I don’t miss changing diapers.
See http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12818 for the cure. The power supply is an easy fix. If there is enough interest in doing this, I have a co-worker who fixes electronics. I could pass work onto him. What would people pay to have their power supply repaired? Half the price of a new one?

rix April 5, 2013 at 8:47 am

i’d probably be interested in that. I have my 485 completely apart but i’m not sure what i’m looking for in the psu. are these “swollen”? http://db.tt/bqqBlb02

Demouser April 5, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Hard to tell, but a couple of them look like they might be. The tops of the caps should be perfectly flat. Any bulge is a bad cap. Apparently there were runs of bad Chinese caps about the time the HP servers were built.