MKV Mania: Clown_BD + MKVMerge

by Damian on March 31, 2010 · 124 comments

in Guides

A few days ago I posted about an excellent tool called Another EAC3To GUI that can be used to create an mkv from either a Blu Ray or HD DVD disc. Today I will look at a slightly less direct method that is actually the method I use currently using two of my favorite tools, Clown_BD and MKVMerge. Just like AEAC this method is used for Blu Ray or HD DVD discs, and not DVDs. Clown_BD only works with unencrypted discs, so you are required to have software such as AnyDVD HD or DVDFab Passkey running in the background. There are two main reasons why I use this method over AEAC or MakeMKV, 1) Multiple Audio Track support (I like to include a secondary AC3 track because not all the players in my house such as the SageTV HD200 support HD Audio or downmixing to stereo) and 2) there is a bug with the PCH C-200/A-200 where hi resolution subtitles are not supported. Once you get the hang of it it is actually not that difficult, so let’s take a look at this method.

Files To Download:

Clown_BD – I would recommend you download the “Clown_BD, eac3to, tsMuxer Package” (second download link) as it has all the additional apps that you need.
MKVToolnix
Java – needs to be installed  for BDSup2Sub to work
BDSup2Sub – Only needed if you do not download the Clown_BD package
eac3to – Only needed if you do not download the Clown_BD package
tsMuxer – Only needed if you do not download the Clown_BD package
MediaInfo (Optional)

Installation:

Really not much to do here. Extract Clown_BD to a location of your choice, install MKVToolnix, install Java if needed, install MediaInfo if needed, and if you are not using the Clown_BD package extract BDSup2Sub/eac3to/tsMuxeR to a location of your choice.

Using Clown_BD:

The purpose of using Clown_BD is really to utilize eac3to to demux the audio/video/subtitles through the Clown_BD UI. I won’t go into too much detail about how to use Clown_BD since I wrote a wiki about, but instead will just look at a few screens.

- In Step 1 I keep “Force Subtitles” and “Network Media Tank Audio Options” checked. Force Subtitles just means that Clown_BD will automatically select all subtitles of your designated language for processing. The reason why I want to choose all subtitles (English in my case) is because I am using Clown_BD to search for forced subtitles. There may be multiple English subtitle tracks but not all of them (or any for that matter) will include forced subtitles. Network Media Tank Audio Options allows me to create a secondary AC3 audio track. I have the “Use tsMuxeR” option checked so I can test out the outputted video before going to MKVMerge, but this is not necessary if you prefer to skip this step.

- After choosing the playlist, in Step 3 I choose Chapters,  the 1080p Video, and the HD Audio track. Since “Force Subtitles” was selected in Step 1 all English Subtitles should already be selected. For “Output Audio Format” I choose “Unconverted” (this will give me the original HD audio track) and “AC3″ (this will create a secondary AC3 track). In many discs you will already see an AC3 track included as an option in the Audio section. However, there is a chance that this track is not for the main movie but instead for extras such as directors commentary. Ticking “AC3″ ensures that I get a correct AC3 track from the main HD Audio. I keep “Movie Output Format” at “TS”, although for the purpose of this guide it is irrelevant.

- Once Clown_BD has finished running, you should be left with all the demuxed files. If there are forced subtitles you will be able to see this as the subtitle (sup) file will have the word “FORCED” in the filename. If you have no need for subtitles (forced or otherwise) you can just skip to the MKVMerge section. Otherwise, head to the BDSup2Sub section.

Using BDSup2Sub:

If you want to keep subtitles in mkvs unfortunately there is an extra step that needs to be done. There are several reasons for having to do this. First, Blu Ray subtitles are in SUP/PGS format. Currently this format is not supported by MKVMerge (to date the only program I have seen that supports adding SUP/PGS subtitles to mkvs is MakeMKV). Secondly, there is very limited support amongst playback devices for mkvs containing SUP/PGS subtitles (XBMC being one of the only ones I have come across). By using BDSup2Sub you can convert these SUP/PGS subtitles to IDX/Sub, which is the subtitle format used in DVDs and generally more supported. If need be you can also adjust the position of where the subtitles appear.

When you first run BDSup2Sub you will see a very simple UI.

To add the subtitles you want to convert simply click n’ drag the subtitle file from Windows Explorer over the BDSup2Sub UI. A Conversions Options box will appear. Ideally there should be no need to adjust any of the settings. HOWEVER, it turns out that if you are using a Popcorn Hour media player there is currently a bug where hi resolution (i.e. 1080p) SUB/IDX subtitles cannot be displayed inside an mkv. To get around this you need to convert the resolution of the subtitles to 480p (NTSC).

Once done with the Conversion Options you will now see the actual subtitles appear. The top screen shows the subtitles as is and the bottom screen shows the subtitles reflecting any changes made in the Conversion Options. One challenge you may encounter is how to figure out which subtitle file you want in the case where there are multiple subtitles. There is a thread over on AVSForum that lists out the correct track to use for forced subtitles. Otherwise, it is just trial and error. For one movie, 2 forced subtitle tracks appeared (see below two screenshots). You can see by the second screenshot that the subtitle appears to be some sort of director’s commentary, so I went with the first subtitle track.

Second screenshot, appears to be director’s commentary

There are several other settings that you can adjust. One setting in particular that some people may find useful is the “Move all captions” option as shown below. With this you can adjust where the subtitles will appear on the screen.

Once done making any changes, go to File -> Save/Export and click Save.

You should now see an idx subtitle which can be used with MKVMerge.

It may look like a lot but it is actually very easy to do and takes under a minute. Also, keep in mind that if you are only looking to grab the forced subtitles this process only needs to be done if forced subtitles are present. About 95% or more of the movies I own do not contain forced subtitles.

Using MKVMerge:

So now that we have the main video, main audio, secondary AC3 audio, and forced subtitles (if applicable), it is time to bring it all together with MKVMerge. First you just need to click n’ drag  the audio/video/subtitle files into the “Input tab”

For whatever reason, if the video file is AVC/h.264 MKVMerge cannot determine the proper frames per second, and a message box will appear.

To assign the correct frames per second (which is 23.976 for Blu Ray), make sure the video track is highlighted, go to the “Format specific options” tab, and manually type in 23.976 for the FPS field. Another option mentioned by robp is to just select “24000/1001″ (24000/1001=23.976) from the pull down menu.

Click n’ drag the rest of the files. Although not necessary I like to edit some of the details of each track. For example, by highlighting the DTS audio track and going to the “General track options” tab I can label the track, assign what language it is, and even set it as the default track. If for whatever reason you decide you don’t want a track included you can simply uncheck the box next to the track.

The last step is to go to the “Global” tab. Under “File/segment title” you can enter in the title of the movie. Under the “Chapters” section you can import the Chapters.txt file created by Clown_BD and assign a language. Once done just assign the Output filename and click the “Start muxing” button.

When MKVMerge starts the muxing process a Status box will appear showing the progress of the mux.

When all is said and done you should be left with a single MKV file, which you can then use MediaInfo to confirm the details.

Final Thoughts:

I realize that after reading this it may seem like a rather intensive process, but honestly after running through a few times it is very easy to get through and only requires a few clicks. This process works the best for me because it allows me to get multiple audio tracks, adjust the resolution on any forced subtitles (for the PCH), and yet maintain the original Video/Audio. The great thing is that many of the tools highlighted here can be used in different ways. For instance, lets say you have an mkv that you want split up into smaller file sizes. All you have to do is simply click n’ drag the mkv onto MKVMerge, go to the “Global” tab, and set up the “Enable Splitting” option. This comes in handy when I am trying to make small clips for testing purposes. Another example would be if you had an mkv that had tracks you wanted to remove. Once again, simply click n’ drag the mkv onto MKVMerge, uncheck the tracks you don’t want (such as extra subtitles), and click “Start muxing” to create a new mkv without the unwanted tracks. Even if you don’t follow the exact process I just outlined, hopefully this will start to give you some ideas of what each software/utility is capable of and how you can use in many different ways.

Brajesh April 2, 2010 at 11:05 am

Damian, this a great, thanks much. The forced subs write-up is especially useful to me. Much appreciated!

Damian April 2, 2010 at 11:50 am

Brajesh,

Hope it helps. As I mentioned it is not as difficult or involved as it looks. Definitely leave a comment if you have luck or run into any issues.

Brajesh April 2, 2010 at 3:22 pm

If I wanted to shrink the resulting MKV with RipBot264, do you know if the forced subs would be retained? If not, I guess I could browse and point to Clown’s demuxed folder where the IDX file is. Thanks.

Damian April 2, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I know with RipBot you can actually burn the subs in if you want, or keep them separate and mux back into the resulting mkv created by Ripbot. I am not sure if Ripbot can actually grab the subs on its own (I want to say it cant)

Gator April 2, 2010 at 10:11 pm

This is a great tutorial for someone like me who is new at this. I’ve followed it closely…downloaded all the software. However, I’m unable to get to Step 2. It appears to hang when it goes to eac3to. Any suggestions?

Damian April 3, 2010 at 9:23 am

So you downloaded the full Clown_ND package (which included eac3TO), but it hangs when trying to get to the playlist (Step 2)? Is it with all movies/ I assume you have AnyDVD running in the background?

Gator April 4, 2010 at 7:47 am

I finally got it going. I had to run eac3to as administrator. For some reason I’m having all kinds of trouble with administrative privileges on my Win 7 machine these days. I do have another question though…when I created an MKV using this method from a Blue Ray with VC-1 video and try to play it with WMP (w/Haali)….the movie doesn’t play. I know the movie is there because I can manually move the seek bar through the whole movie….it just doesn’t play on its own.

Damian April 4, 2010 at 12:58 pm

@ Gator,

That is strange with the administrative privileges, do you have UAC shut off?

Also, is your W7 machine x32 or x64. Can you play it fine with MPC?

Keith April 10, 2010 at 5:42 am

I’ve tried both the 2nd part and 3rd part tutorials and cannot get the subtitles to show up in District 9. Both ways, I get “Subtitle format not supported.” I did down-convert to 480, as per the instructions.

DamianP April 10, 2010 at 6:04 am

Keith,

You get “Subtitle format not supported” when you try and drag the subtitles into MKVMerge?

Keith April 10, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I think I’ve tried it both ways, by adding and drag-and-drop into MKVMerge.

DamianP April 10, 2010 at 1:42 pm

@ Keith,

It sounds like you are grabbing the incorrect subs. So to confirm, you use Clown_BD to create the PGS subs. You then drag the PGS subs into BDSup2Sub and export the idx/sub subs, correct? When you do this two subs are created, one that ends in .sub and one that ends in .idx. The .idx subs are the ones you drag into MKVMerge. If you look at my screenshot you can see this sub in the Windows Explorer. Let me know if this works

Keith April 11, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Watching it build the mkv, it does look like it’s grabbing both of the files.

What PCH did you test this with? I am using the A-110 and I think that’s where the problem is. I have even tried do the separate idx/subs with a TS file, and while it looks like it is trying to put of the titles at the right points, all they are is a small set of dots.

Damian April 12, 2010 at 5:37 am

@ Keith,

I tested on the C-200 and A-200, I did not test on my A-110 but I would assume that idx subs should work. So if you play an mkv with idx subs on the A-110 it will not show?

Keith April 12, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Gives me a “Subtitle Format not supported” message.

Damian April 14, 2010 at 11:23 am

@ Keith,

Have you tried playing the mkv on your pc first (using a player like MPC) to verify the subs show correctly?

JoeB April 15, 2010 at 7:29 am

I followed your guide and created an mkv from VC-1 BD iso. The subtitles shows up just fine, both in MediaBrowser (Shark007 codecs) and MPC-HC but the the file is unwatchable. The audio stutters and the video is moving in slow motion.

After Clown_BD ran, I ended up with 2 video files (video_2.vc1 and a .ts files). They both are around 28 GBs. When running MergMKV, I used the .vc1 file, the dts audio and the converted .idx subtitles. Everything ran fine accept for the result was so bad that it is unwatchable. Tried the process twice with same bad result.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

DamianP April 15, 2010 at 7:56 am

@ JoeB,

So it stutters when you play in MPC HC as a standalone? I actually think it may be some settings from Shark007 that is conflicting. I assume you are using Haali as part of the Shark007 codecs?

JoeB April 15, 2010 at 8:01 am

Yes it stutters badly when playing in MPC-HC as a standalone. The video is in slow motion like. More like stop and go.

What if I just have the idx file inside the same folder as the mkv file or m2ts, would MediaBrowser or MPC able to read the idx file for subtitle? For most of my bd rips, I have the m2ts file and play it with MPC-HC via MediaBrowser.

DamianP April 15, 2010 at 8:09 am

My guess is Haali is messing up playback. Can you go into MPC, go to View -> Options. Under Internal Filters can you check off “Matroska”. Then go into External Filters -> Add FIlters. If you see Haali there select it, set it to Block, and hit OK. See if the file plays fine now

Brajesh April 15, 2010 at 9:42 am

Thanks again for this guide Damian. I used it on the U.S. BD of ‘Black Book’, which has English subs half in the picture, half in the bottom black bar. I was able to end up with an MKV with the subs fully in the picture area for my 2.37:1 CIH setup.

Question on the German BD of ‘Dances with Wolves’, which has the same issue as above. However, I’d like to end up with a BD ISO by keeping the DTS-HD MA 7.1 track. Do you know of any tool to mux the video, hd audio & corrected subs (from BDSup2Sub) into a BD ISO instead of an MKV. I’d do MKV except the Popcorn devices (including the upcoming PopBox) don’t support hd audio inside MKV yet. Thanks.

DamianP April 15, 2010 at 9:50 am

@ Brajesh,

You can try Clown_BD as it does accept mkv as an input

JoeB April 16, 2010 at 7:00 am

I tried going into MPC Options. Under Internal Filters can you check off “Matroska”. Then go into External Filters -> Add Filters. If you see Haali there select it, set it to Block, and hit OK. There were several Haali filters to choose from and I did each one with same bad result.

I am about to give up :)

DamianP April 16, 2010 at 9:23 am

Hmmm…not sure. My guess it relates to settings with Shark. One potential issue that I can think of is that VC-1 in WMC does not support DXVA, which may be the cause of your stuttering. In the Shark Config tru using MPC Video Dec (see some of the settings I had used when testing Shark here – http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/02/24/guide-setting-up-bitstreaming-with-your-windows-7-htpc-part-ii/)

Brajesh April 16, 2010 at 11:04 am

Well, Clown_BD didn’t like the subs in the MKV container, so I ended up using multiAVCHD (http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/download/) to get a BD structure, which I then used ImgBurn to get an ISO from :).

JoeB April 18, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I just figured out the easiest way to do subtitles with BD rips. All I had to do was to press the “S” key on the keyboard remote and subtitles started to work in MPC-HC. Apparently, MPC-HC can display BD sup and doesn’t need wup to idx conversion outlined in this tutorial.

Again, I ripped my BDs into m2ts, using tsMuxR and preserving the English subtitles. Then in MPC-HC, right click on the movie and select “Subtitles” and choose “Enable” only do this once. Then press “S” key on your keyboard remote to toggle subtitles.

Thank you DamianP for the time he took to create this tutorial and also his time to help others but this tutorial doesn’t work for me. The “S” Key works and who would have thought it could be this easy. Gotta love MPC-HC.

DamianP April 18, 2010 at 3:10 pm

@ JoeB,

Great to hear you got it figured out. MPC HC doesn’t support BD Sup if they are in an mkv which is what this guide was for, if they are in an m2ts they will show fine. Do you get chapter support with your m2ts in MPC HC? For whatever reason, when I created m2ts using Clown_BD I always lost chapter support.

DesL April 24, 2010 at 5:00 am

Thanks for this writeup! Although I haven’t had the chance to actually run through this and try it, some initial questions popped up.

I’ve used Clown_BD before to rip my Blu’s into ISO images (since that’s the only way I found that could have standard subtitles included). However, they become burned in and there’s no option to turn them on or off.

I prefer to use the MKV format, but can’t figure out for the life of me how to get subtitles included, not just forced subs. I would love to have the option of turning subtitles on or off on the fly depending on who I’m watching the movie with. Currently, is there any way to do something like this?

Damian April 24, 2010 at 5:10 am

@ DesL,

Clown_BD does not burn in subtitles. It all depends on what software or player you are using for playback how subtitles are displayed. What software or player are you using to watch your movies?

DesL April 25, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Usually I use TMT3 to watch my movies, but I’d ultimately like to have everything organized in MediaPortal (so whatever player MP uses).

Jeff April 27, 2010 at 12:15 am

Thanks Damian,
I have been searching for months on how to do exactly this. It seems like there is nothing better out there yet. I hope ANYDVD will someday include an option of ripping main movie into MKV with 1) unconverted audio + secondary AC3 audio, 2) include forced subtitle.

One problem with this multiple step method is it takes too long – about 3 hours vs 40 minutes for something like MakeMKV. Does it take this long for you too?

Damian April 27, 2010 at 5:18 am

@ Jeff,

WOW, 3 hours. It takes me less then an hour to do. Something definitely doesn’t seem right, what are the specs of the PC you are using? Try using Another EAC3To GUI as well to see how long it takes (http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/04/13/mkv-mania-adding-a-secondary-audio-track-with-another-eac3to-gui/)

Jeff April 29, 2010 at 2:37 am

It’s a 2 year-old Lenovo T61 laptop. I know it’s not a fast PC but MakeMKV takes only 40 minutes, same BD, same laptop.

Approximately how long does EAC3To take and how long does the MKVmerge part take?

Damian April 29, 2010 at 5:14 am

@ Jeff,

EAC3To takes about 35-40 minutes, MKVMerge about 10 minutes for me.

Mohit April 29, 2010 at 8:55 am

Hi Damian, I have the same issue as Keith re: the PCH A-110. I’ve converted the subtitles to 480p but still get “Subtitle Format not supported” when playing on the A-100 (this is with the latest firmware that was released last month).

Such a hassle, this is the only thing holding me back right now – forced subs! I prefer to use Clown_BD to rip to M2TS, only because of the DTS-MA/TrueHD support by the A-110 in that container, so I think my only option may be to use a separate SRT file (which works). Problem is that there is no way I know to automatically create a good SRT file from the BD SUP file (the OCR in Suprip is terrible) so one has to manually type in most characters which is really a pain.

Anyone got a solution? Much appreciated!!

Damian April 29, 2010 at 11:36 am

@ Mohit,

If I get a chance when I get home tonight I will test out one of my mkvs w/ forced subs on my A110. My testing has been done on my C200/A200, so it is possible that the A110 does not support internal subtitles in an mkv? I know the A110 chokes on higher bitrate mkvs that the C200/A200 play without issue.

Mohit April 29, 2010 at 11:42 am

Damian, the A110 does support internal subtitles in MKV, but I’ve only found it to play UTF-8 text ones so far in my testing. The Vobsub/DVD format ones give the “Unsupported Subtitle format”.

In any case, if HD lossless audio is required, A110 owners cannot use MKV anyway – we need M2TS files, and those require external SRT subs AFAIK. So far, in the few forced captions cases I’ve come across, I’ve either manually OCR’d them in Suprip when there’s only a handful (like Angels & Demons) or downloaded the appropriate SRT (for Avatar, Iron Man, etc.)

I do recall an older firmware working with these Vobsub subtitles but can’t be sure. If I get a chance sometime, I may flash back to the firmware pre-July last year and see if that helps.

Jeff May 1, 2010 at 7:56 pm

After using this method a couple of times, I am 100% convinced that this is the best way available right now. Exactly what I needed!

Damian, what is the .wav file produced by EAC3To? It’s about 4 GB. I don’t use it for anything but it’s always there.

Damian May 2, 2010 at 5:08 am

@ Jeff,

Are you creating a secondary AC3 file? I think EAC3To converts the HD Audio to wav, and then uses the wav file to convert to AC3. Of course if it is a PCM track you will see WAV as well.

Jeff May 9, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Yes, Damian. Just like you, I want to be able to watch movies on TV without turning on the stero system sometimes. So I also choose the secondary AC3 option.

On a side note, Norton Anti-virus deletes the latest version of Clown_bd so I am using the previous version which seems to work just fine.

Damian May 12, 2010 at 7:03 pm

@ Jeff,

So yes then, if you are creating a secondary AC3 track then EAC3To converts the HD Audio track to wav and then from wav to AC3.

Funny, another person I talk to had the same issue with Norton. He ended up calling Norton and they did something on his PC to stop Norton from doing this.

Jeff May 24, 2010 at 12:02 am

Hi Damian,
I have been using this process for weeks but I just noticed the following messages in the eac3to log file.

[a03] The ArcSoft and Sonic decoders don’t seem to work, will use libav instead.
[a03] The libav DTS decoder doesn’t decode the full DTS-HD information.

I always choose “Unconverted” and “AC3″ audio and thought that I was getting DTS-MA or Dolby-HD audio. I think the HD audio file generated by eac3to is typically about 4 GB. I play the mkv files using WD TV Live which does not support DTS-MA so I have never seen the DTS-MA light up on my receiver but I wanted to save files with HD audio for future use.

With the warning message I am getting, am I even saving DTS-MA audio or is it just DTS 5.1? Do I need some other software component to work with DTS-MA?

Thanks,

Damian May 24, 2010 at 5:54 am

Hi Jeff,

You can ignore those messages, I believe that is just if you were trying to convert the DTS-MA to FLAC which you would then need either the Arcsoft or Sonic decoders. As long as you have confirmed with Media Info that the DTS(MA) track is there you are fine (I have used this method on almost all my movies and always get confirmation via my AVR that I have the DTS-MA track)

Jeff May 25, 2010 at 2:59 am

That’s a relief!
Thanks Damian.

Sebastian May 26, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Hi Damian,
I made a copy of a BluRay with a DTS-MA audio-track. However PowerDVD10 or WMC with FFDShow only play the core DTS track.
Any idea how to get bitstreaming to work with a mkv.-file? It works for me with PowerDVD and my original BluRay but not with mkv.
Thanks Sebastian

Damian May 26, 2010 at 3:18 pm

@ Sebastian,

See my writeups here:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Sebastian May 27, 2010 at 7:18 am

@ Damian

Thanks for the tip. Got it working with the Shark Codec Pack.
Only some older mkv’s now show huge artefacts. I have to find out, what that’s about but for a start I have HD Audio working now :).
I know I had this issue before, then I tried the CoreAVC Codec and it was working, but I don’t wanna mess around too much so I wanna stick with Shark for now.

Damian May 27, 2010 at 7:24 am

@ Sebastian

Great to hear you got it working. For the mkvs with artifacts see if you can find a common theme (i.e using Media Info see what video codecs are being used)

Sebastian May 27, 2010 at 8:26 am

Just had a look at some Mediainfo of working and not working mkv’s.
I really can’t tell any difference between the working and non-working files.
I could post some MediaInfo text files but it wouldn’t look good in the comment section ;). Can I send you a mail with the txt files and you could have a look? Thx for your help already!

Rhinoevans May 30, 2010 at 2:43 pm

keep getting thie error

eac3to v3.18
command line: “C:\Users\Rhino\Downloads\clown\eac3to\eac3to.exe” “G:” 1) -progressnumbers -LOG=”C:\Users\Rhino\Downloads\New folder\LOGS\eac3to_PASS2_LOG.LOG”
——————————————————————————
The format of the source file could not be detected.

Robo June 1, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Dude.. Great writeup.. Been messing with Forced Subs FOREVER.. never getting it to work just right. Followed your guide using Avatar and now have a perfect mkv, with chapters(been using .ts files), and only Forced subs.

AWESOME!!

Now I’ve got to start on my other titles where I need Forced subs only (Davinci Code, District9, etc)

Damian June 1, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Great to hear, I was originally using .ts files as well but now mkv just works the best (especially with chapter support).

Damian Perez June 2, 2010 at 1:02 pm

@ Rhinoevans,

Still having the error with EAC3To?

Rhinoevans June 2, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Yes, even tried HB and get the same error. Starts to analyzt the movie, I think in part II, and gives the error.

Damian June 5, 2010 at 4:49 am

Maybe try updating to the latest EAC3To which was just released this week:

Damian June 5, 2010 at 4:53 am

@ Sebastian,

Sorry for the delay in writing back, I am trying to get caught up with all the comments. Are you still having problems?

stelvio June 14, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Damian,

I’ve been using your method above with great success.
I recently came across a BD (U2:360 @ the Rose Bowl) that I can’t get the audio to sync correctly with the video.
The audio is 8-10 seconds behind the video.
I do assign the correct frames per second (which is 23.976 for Blu Ray).
Any explanation why this could be?

The .ts that is created is perfect, but the .mkv is out of sync.

Thanks

Damian June 15, 2010 at 6:08 am

@ stelvio,

OK, I think I found the problem. That BD is 1080i, not 1080p. For whatever reason, 1080i causes a lot of problems with mkvs. I would say either keep it as a .ts or try messing around with the audio delay settings in MKVMerge to get the audio back in sync.

Bobo July 11, 2010 at 4:41 am

Nice guide, but it’s happening things so one step less to do now.

From mkvmerge 4.1.0 release notes:

mkvmerge: new feature: Added support for reading PGS subtitles from PGS/SUP files.

Damian July 11, 2010 at 4:46 am

@ Bobo,

Correct, mkvmerge now supports PGS subtitles. The only thing to be careful about with the new mkvmerge is there appears to be some sort of compression feature that is added and is enabled by default that a lot of players don’t play well with. I think it compresses some sort of header but it is causing a ton of issues from reading around.

Bobo July 11, 2010 at 7:14 am

@ Damian,

Yes, I’ve read about those problems, but since I’m only used MPC-HC (and plain MPC before that), ffdshow, Haali for many years now, I don’t have any problems with that. =)

Converted a couple of DVD’s and BluRay’s with DTS to MKV’s yesterday and they all play fine on my HTPC and receiver.

Oh, and it should be from version 4.0.0 release notes in my last post.

Mikey July 12, 2010 at 12:23 am

Nice writeup but what if I don’t need an AC3 stream as my WDTV Live can downmix DTS?

I have a huge ISO ripped straight from BD. So I use MakeMKV to get all streams into an MKV, then use MKVmerge to drop the SUP/PGS streams and add idx/sub instead. But what tool would I use to extract only the SUP/PGS first so I can convert them to idx/sub with BDSup2Sub? Thx.

Damian July 12, 2010 at 2:54 am

@ Mikey,

Don’t select AC3 in Clown_BD and you will only get the DTS track.

As far as extracting from mkvs you can try using MKVExtract (http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVExtractGUI-2) although I have never used.

Mikey July 13, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Problem is, despite a successful mount in Daemon Tools Pro I can’t access the mounted image so I can’t user Clown BD. I managed to make an MKV with MakeMKV and extracted sub and DTS streams and chapter file with MKVExtract. So how do I convert DTS to AC3? And why are there two tabs (global/chapter/chapter file and chapter editor) to add chapters in mkvmerge GUI? Where can I read more about it? Thanks.

Damian July 14, 2010 at 3:12 am

@ Mikey,

If you have the original mkv with the DTS audio track you can use a program called Popcorn MKV AudioConverter to convert the DTS track to AC3 (http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PopCorn_MKV_AudioConverter)

As far as mkvmerge, I have only ever used the Global tab. All I do from there is simply browse and add the Chapters.txt file.

Mikey July 15, 2010 at 12:43 am

AudioConverter works though I wish it would allow to select which DTS tracks to convert instead of all. BTW, I managed to access my ISO after installing Toshiba drivers for UDF 2.5 (XP SP3 sucks!). But thanks for your time helping me to establish a workflow.

robp July 19, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Thanks for all the great guides Damian. After stubbornly sticking with tsmuxer and .ts files, I’m officially on the mkv bandwagon now.

One small tip for H.264 streams with mkvmerge: Instead of typing “23.976″ in the fps field, you can just select “24000/1001″ (24000/1001=23.976) from the pull down menu. Less typing and less chance of making a mistake.

Damian July 19, 2010 at 3:19 pm

@ robp,

Glad to see you are on the mkv bandwagon, I definitely prefer over .ts files. Thanks for the tip, I have updated the guide to reflect :-)

robp July 19, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Glad to help (even if only a small tip).

Lance August 11, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Thanks for a well-written writeup. I was looking for a way to create MKV’s with forced subtitles for my WDTV (which doesn’t like PGS).

I created both mkv and m2ts rips of Avatar using MakeMKV and DVDfab. Clown_BD and BDSUP2SUB kept giving a Java-related error using the mkv (tried various versions of JRE) so I demuxed the m2ts instead. The resulting IDX/VOBSUB was then successfully muxed with the mkv using MKVMerge (after disabling header compression per this timely post):

A check of the new mkv with Mediainfo looked good.

Strangely, when the newly merged mkv is played on my WDTV Live+, audio/video sync is eventually lost when later portions of the movie are played via fast-forward or chapter-advance. But this doesn’t happen with the original mkv or ms2ts. Must be a problem either with the extracted subs or the merge. Any thoughts on what went wrong?

Lance August 11, 2010 at 8:03 pm

BTW, I did save my MKVMerge settings and confirmed I did specify 240001/1001 fps for the video track in the Format specific options tab.

Also, going through the logs, I didn’t see any error messages. But I did spot in an eac3to log line that says:

DTS, English, 5.1 channel. 24-bits, 1509 Kbps, 48 khz, -9ms

I don’t know what the -9ms refers to, but I didn’t see it used in any of the command lines. If its something like a fixed delay/offset, it doesn’t seem relevant since the beginning of the movie has audio in sync.

Not sure if this is the right place to discuss this, if there’s a more appropriate forum, I’d appreciate a pointer. Thanks.

Damian August 15, 2010 at 6:35 am

Sorry for the delayed response, somehow your comments got lost in my email.

Question – does the delay always happen at the same spot? Also, if you play the mkv on your PC do you get this a/v sync issue as well? Just trying to confirm if it is an eac3to issue or a WDTV Live issue

Lance September 4, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Sorry for the long delay. Had to rebuild my PC and upgrade to Windows 7.

The delay doesn’t seem to occur at any one particular spot in the timeline (at least I haven’t found one). Sync gets lost after a combination of FF and Chapter skips and the delay seems to vary depending on how much FF and skipping has been done.

Interestingly, using the old “stable” MPC Home Cinema 1.3.1249.0 on my PC, the problem does not exist. So your hunch may be right, this implies the problem is a WDTV-related issue (I have the new Plus version that has not had a firmware update yet).

Someone suggested I try running my mkv through mkclean or mkWDclean:

But that just made my mkv unplayable! This multimedia stuff is such an enigma.

Finally, I still don’t know why I got those Java errors while running the original process flow with Clown_BD (the reason I extracted the subs from my m2ts rip instead of the mkv rip). I’ll give it a try on one of my other PC’s.

In case anyone else is having problems with this, I’ve summarized what I did below.

**********************

0. Tools were dloaded from the official sites and latest versions were used.

1. Extracted PGS subs from mkv produced by makemkv using Clown_BD. Java error encountered but output was produced anyways. Different versions of Java runtime (JRE) did not help.

2. Attempted to translate subs to IDX/VOBSUBS format using BDSUP2SUB. Same Java error encountered.

3. Followed suggestion to try “mkvextract” instead of Clown_BD. But running BDSUP2SUB on its output gave me the identical Java error from steps 1 and 2.

4. Gave up on using mkv from makemkv as a source for stripping out the forced subs.

5. Repeated steps 1+2 on m2ts produced by DVDfab. This ran with no errors. The result is an IDX file with I believe a supporting file that may be the VOBSUBS data.

5. Now that I have extracted subs that WDTV can use, the task is to mux them with audio & video tracks. Since they already contain those tracks, I assumed I could use either the mkv created by makmkv or the m2ts created by DVDfab. I selected the former because I like the chapter support for mkv.

6. The mux of makemkv’s mkv plus the VOBSUBs translated by BDSUP2SUB was done per the instructions using mkvmerge (I had to disable the default header compression for some tracks per recent posts).

7. The resulting mkv was played on my WDTV Live+ and forced subs do show up! But there are some playback problems.

*** Here are the playback problem symptoms ***

a. Normal playback on the new mkv works fine, both with subs on/off.

b. But when a combination of FF + 10-min skip is used on the new mkv, video and audio eventually lose sync (the audio lags the video). Sometimes this can happen early in the movie timeline, sometimes later. This is with subtitles OFF.

c. The original mkv (from makemkv) has no problems with maintaining sync after FF + 10-min skip. I’ve tried many times to break the sync.

d. Normal playback of the m2ts from DVDfab is fine. BUT, I noticed when FF + 10-min skip is used, there are problems. Sync is maintained, but video artifacts that look like horizontal banding/lines appear in the video when normal play is resumed. I had not tried this before so never noticed it. I don’t know if the problem lies with the m2ts, WDTV, or both. But this may suggest that the m2ts may not be a good source to extact the subs from. This means I need to work around the Java error encountered when stripping subs out from the mkv rip.

Mark September 18, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Hi. I’m a noob to this.

I’ve followed the guide as far as I can but everytime eac3to does the second pass of the source files it doesn’t make a complete log file (i.e. no video/audio data) whereas pass 1 has all the data.

I’m running Vista 64 bit.

Cheers for any help.

Damian September 19, 2010 at 5:40 am

Hi Mark,

What type of movie are you trying to use eac3to on? Is this happening for all of them or just this one?

Mark September 19, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Hi Damian

We have just purchased a HDTV and I have entered the world of Blu-ray.

I have been ripping DVDs no problem but the Blu-ray stuff is new to me.

To answer your question the movie was a Blu-ray (Gladiator) and when eac3to did the first pass (Log 1 pass) of the disk it logged all the disk data but when it did pass 2 it didn’t log any data. When Step 3 was displayed in Clown_BD there was no disk data to select- all entry labels (chapter, video, audio, subtitles) were empty.

I’m running Vista 64bit using a Samsung SH-B123 with the lastest firmware.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Mark September 19, 2010 at 2:49 pm

To help here is a copy of both log files

Log 1

eac3to v3.24
command line: “C:\Temp 7\EACtoZip\eac3to.exe” “D:” -progressnumbers -LOG=”C:\Temp 7\Clown_BD\LOGS\eac3to_PASS1_LOG.LOG”
——————————————————————————
1) 00000.mpls, 2:50:57
[135+9+137+123+138+127+140+128+139+122+145+124+132+126+141+130+136+133+142+134+143+125+144+129+147+131].m2ts
– Chapters, 28 chapters
– h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
– DTS Master Audio, English, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, French, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, Italian, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, German, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, Spanish, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, Portuguese, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, Spanish, multi-channel, 48kHz

2) 00002.mpls, 2:34:59
[135+146+137+149+138+151+140+150+139+154+145+155+132+148+141+157+136+156+142+158+143+159+144+152+147+153].m2ts
– Chapters, 28 chapters
– h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
– DTS Master Audio, English, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, French, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, Italian, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, German, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, Spanish, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, Portuguese, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, Spanish, multi-channel, 48kHz

3) 01069.mpls, 00138.m2ts, 0:20:28
– h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
– DTS Master Audio, English, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, French, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, Italian, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, German, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, Spanish, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, Portuguese, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, Spanish, multi-channel, 48kHz

4) 01066.mpls, 00135.m2ts, 0:17:14
– h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
– DTS Master Audio, English, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, French, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, Italian, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, German, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, Spanish, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, Portuguese, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, Spanish, multi-channel, 48kHz

5) 01063.mpls, 00132.m2ts, 0:15:51
– h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
– DTS Master Audio, English, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, French, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, Italian, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, German, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, Spanish, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, Portuguese, multi-channel, 48kHz
– DTS, Spanish, multi-channel, 48kHz

Log 2

eac3to v3.24
command line: “C:\Temp 7\EACtoZip\eac3to.exe” “D:” 1) -progressnumbers -LOG=”C:\Temp 7\Clown_BD\LOGS\eac3to_PASS2_LOG.LOG”

Mark September 19, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Hi Damian

I think I have found the problem.

My Blu-ray drive has only just been released and I think it’s doing something to block copying direct from the drive. I have AnyDVDHD running in the background but this still doesn’t seem to make any difference.

However when I use AnyDVDHD to make a 1:1 copy to my HDD then use that copy to make an mkv. it works!

Not sure why but it’s a work around for now.

Cheers

Mark

Damian September 20, 2010 at 4:38 am

Hi Mark,

That is very odd. AnyDVD should be working in the background so you should have no issues (with AnyDVD running the disc should just look like an unencrypted disc to your BR drive). Very odd, but glad you came up with a solution.

Phil November 24, 2010 at 2:45 am

Hi,

I am running the latest version of clown_bd (v0.79) and MKV merge (4.4.0), however after the clown step I go to add the file h264 video etc etc and the options within MKV merge for general track options, Format specific options and Extra Options are all greyed out.

Any ideas please?

Damian November 24, 2010 at 6:26 am

Phil,

No clue to be honest. I just updated to clown_bd (v0.79) and MKV merge (4.4.0). When I drag the audio and video files over to mkvmerge all options work as expected, nothing is greyed out. Maybe try rebooting your PC and see if you get the same issue. Otherwise I would post the question to the developer (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1459680#post1459680)

robp November 24, 2010 at 6:59 am

@Phil,

Are you highlighting the video track in the box labeled: Tracks, chapters, and tags? If you don’t highlight the track, the values will be grayed out (since they are track specific).

BTW: You should make sure you have the version of mkvtoolnix posted here > http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1459680#post1459680

A workaround has been added which makes DTS-HD files compatible with Haali. If you ever use Haali, many BluRay rips will not work if they were made with other versions of mkvtoolnix.

Damian November 24, 2010 at 7:04 am

robp,

Thanks for posting that header fix for current mkvs (setting Audio track > Default duration and enter 10666666). I just created a new mkv using the latest mkvmerge, and then I am going to edit the header of an older mkv with the setting you described. Hopefully both DTS(MA) mkvs should work flawless with Haali.

robp November 24, 2010 at 7:16 am

No problem.

According to Mosu, that value may not always be correct, but remuxing will always give the correct value.

If I were giving someone else recommendations, I’d probably say remux. But for me, personally, I try using the header editor first and then remux if necessary (although I used the header editor on all my old files and it worked every time).

Damian November 24, 2010 at 7:18 am

Once I have a chance to test I will do a quick writeup pointing back to your findings as well as the latest mkvmerge fixing issues with Haali and DTS(MA)

robp November 24, 2010 at 7:27 am

BTW Damian:

Have you ever heard of xin1generator? It’s a neat little program that can be used on seamless branching Blurays to create ordered chapters. In a nutshell, you can create one file, containing multiple versions of one movie (ie, theatrical/uncensored/director’s cut), and the resulting file is just a little larger than the longer version of the movie. You can pick which version you want to watch, and Haali will seek around to build a virtual timeline that plays seamlessly as though it were one continuous stream.

Anyway, I’ve written a rough draft guide for using xin1generator if you’re interested in posting it.

Damian November 24, 2010 at 10:48 am

Interesting, I will take a look at.

Carlos Viana December 3, 2010 at 7:59 am

@robp

Please, can you send me a copy of your guide. I would appreciate it. Thank you

robp December 3, 2010 at 8:43 pm

“@robp

Please, can you send me a copy of your guide. I would appreciate it. Thank you”

No problem. Just one question: Where do I send it? lol

RefCache December 28, 2010 at 1:13 am

@RobP

I would interested in this guide you’ve written as well. I’ve searched to make certain it wasn’t posted elsewhere on MediaSmartServer.

If you can’t post it here directly, perhaps you could upload it to a text/file sharing site? Pastebay.com, Paste2.org, Megaupload, etc.

Many thanks.

robp December 28, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Right now, the guide is set up to be posted on a forum, so the easiest way would be for me to send it in a PM – I’d like some feedback before I post it, so I certainly don’t mind sending it to anyone.

If you are on doom9, send me a message and I’ll send the guide to you. I could send it on the MediaSmartServer forums, but I have a problem with my registration, which may take some time to get straightened out.

Carlos Viana January 12, 2011 at 3:27 am

I’m sorry. I thought the email was available. Anyway, I managed to use xin1. It’s very easy.
But I’m having audio problems. In seamless branching blurays (multiple versions of the same movie), the audio from the first version is fine, but there are hicups or high pitched noises on some chapter changes.
It’s probably a issue with eac3to and the way it fixes overlapped audio or the detection of the exact position of chapters by xin1.
This happened with Avatar. I didn’t try with any other. Even the scene release from CtrlHD in x264 has this problem.

robp January 12, 2011 at 9:05 am

I’ve never had any of the problems you described (but I also haven’t tried it on Avatar yet, either). So far, only Terminator 2 has given me any trouble, and it was just one scene change in the extended/director’s cut where you could see a scene from the theatrical version for maybe 1/10 second, and later in the movie, the audio got out of sync. Other than that, every other movie seemed flawless – though I must say I’ve only done 4-5 movies so far, since my collection of multiple edition discs is rather small.

Phil November 24, 2010 at 10:42 am

@Damian, thank you, as you will see below it was another cause of desk/chair interface corruption….

@Rob

Oh deary deary me….

Highlighting it worked, thanks very much indeed.

I will never forget that ever again!!!!

Much appreciated

robp November 24, 2010 at 4:37 pm

“Will doing this only work with Haali, have you tested how the file plays if using a different splitter or possibly a non PC player?”

As of now, only Haali will allow switching between different versions. To answer how it will play with other splitters, or on a hardware player, it’s easier to just explain a bit how the file is created:

One version of the movie (which version depends on how you set it up) will be one continuous stream. The parts that make up the other versions are appended on to the end of the first version. So, when you play it on a player that does not support multiple editions, it will simply play the first version completely, followed by the scenes that make up the other versions.

robp January 11, 2011 at 4:02 pm

FYI: A GUI for xin1generator was released a couple of weeks ago:

Very simple to use now. The only thing I do manually is tell eac3to which tracks to demux, while xin1generator gives you a command for demuxing all tracks.

jonlar April 12, 2011 at 10:05 am

Hi here. Very usefull tutorial. Thanks for this. I am very new to convert Blurays to mkvs using mkvmerge. I have some forced subs and would like to know if i have to set any special flag in mkvmerge or can I leave the default settings?

Damian April 12, 2011 at 10:12 am

Hi,

Make sure for the forced sub track you set “Forced Track Flag” to Yes in mkvmerge

jonlar April 12, 2011 at 10:19 am

Great. Thanks

jonlar April 12, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I just got an error. Works all well till the point tsmuxer starts working. at roundabout 47.3% it stops all and doesnt work anymore.

jonlar April 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I have remuxed Pirates of the Caribbean-1, but after the fade in where the ship comes out of the fog, the picture stops but the sound goes on. I have a Popcorn Hour c200 and no clue why :/

Damian April 13, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Sounds like you possibly have a bad rip? Are you streaming to your C200 or playing from an attached/internal hard drive?

jonlar April 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Was a bad rip. Streaming over Lancable and NFS Server from hanewin. Works perfectly

Damian April 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Great to hear :-)

KevinTroy August 2, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Hi Damian, what would be the best/easiest way to shrink a BR (movie only) with lossy hd audio along with the forced subs and optional subs in tact (the wife gotta have subs!)? I don’t care if the output is MKV or Bluray folder. I’ve seen the threads below but not sure which would be best since i’ve got like 50+ BR discs and just want to use 1 method for all. Only if HD space isn’t an issue this would be a lot easier. So far, i have anydvdhd, hanbrake and makemkv installed on a win7 quad-core box. I also got a new pch a-210.. Found your threads on avsforum as well so i value your input and your help will be much appreciated.. tnx!

Damian August 2, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Hi Kevin,

MakeMKV does not encode, so that is not an option for you. Handbrake does encode but it can be flaky with subtitles.

I would look at something like BDRebuilder which will allow you to shrink a Blu-ray but keep everything in tact. I plan on doing a writeup on using but got a little delayed due to some hardware issues (hardware issues as in PC issues, not my “hardware” lol) – http://www.videohelp.com/tools/BD_Rebuilder

An alternative is DVDFab. However, I mention BDRebuilder because you already have AnyDVD, so BDRebuilder is free to use. I think there is a free (lite) version of DVDFab you could try, and it also comes with a trial.

For mkvs BluRip is a great option (you should be able to find my guide around here). I have had some issues of late though with it doing encodes and haven’t had a chance to investigate further.

Hope that gives you some ideas

Cheers
Damian

KevinTroy August 2, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Thanks for the input.. I only had makemkv to try a 1:1 mkv copy of just the movie itself plus the audio and subs. Then i tried to encode it with Handbrake but realized that handbrake doesn’t do PGS subs. I tried it anyway, no subs but video/mkv output was pretty good. Took 1hr/40 mins with 1 pass, 720p, DTS passthru and CF 19 setting. All in all, video and audio wise, i was satisfied. Now, if only i can find a way to separate the subs from the first makemkv file and combine it with the handbrake mkv output via mkvmerge or something..

And yeah i have seen DVDFab but i’d opt for the free version if i can (for 60bucks that’s a load of baby diapers for me..lol). Also, i kinda looked at BDRebuilder but it looks like its pretty sensitive on what plugin versions you install with it to work.. its still in beta so i guess that’s why. IF only Slysoft can come out with CloneBD already then that would have been perfect. I have their CloneDVD2 and ripped hundreds of dvds..

Btw, any advantages of mkv vs bluray folder structure when playing it on a pch a-210? or maybe disadvantages?

Damian August 3, 2011 at 12:39 pm

If you want you can extract the subtitles from your MakeMKV mkv with a tool such as MKVExtract (http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVExtractGUI-2), run the mkv through Handbrake to encode, and then remux the encoded mkv + subtitles together using MKVMerge. Yeah, Slysoft has been rumored to be working on CloneBD for a while. I don’t know if free programs such as Clown_BD or BDRebuilder have delayed them looking at closer?

For the most part mkv and Blu-ray structure should play equally well on the A-210. The PCH does support forced subtitles in mkvs so that is good. I think there are still some lingering issues with displaying PGS subtitles in mkvs on the A210 (such as lingering around). I haven’t looked at in a while so cannot confirm

Cheers
Damian

KevinTroy August 3, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Thanks will give it a shot. Now i’m just doing the AnydvdHD –> Ripbot264 route with only selectable subtitles and see what i get overall. I will worry about the forced subs later once i’ve settled with a permanent solution. I know ripbot does force subs too but i’ve read too that it has some issues with the likes of avatar, district 9 etc..

Yeah i guess im ok with mkv for now and its getting more common for bluray backups anyway..

steelman1991 September 20, 2011 at 2:22 am

Hi Damian

Great tut as usual. Was habing problems with forced subs on the Star Wars titles – both anothereac3to and MakeMKV produced wrong sub sets – included commentary heading tracks, so decided to try your method – worked a treat.

The only thinkg I would change would be the screenshot which shows the ‘Use tsMuxeR’ checkbox as ticked. If the purpose is purely to demux and remux with MKV Merge, then this step is superfluous – adding extra time to the process that isn’t needed. Obviously with this box checked tsMuxeR will remux to a ts format (or whatever is chosen by the user).

Just an observation.

Damian October 3, 2011 at 3:05 pm

You are correct. I used to keep tsMuxeR checked because I would test out the output file quickly in MPC HC to make sure everything ripped correctly before I started the mkv process (just a quick check). It is definitely be no means necessary and does add some time to the process (usually once I ran Clown_BD I walked away from my PC for a while so not as big a deal). Thanks for pointing out.

Jason January 12, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Damian,

Regarding subtitles when using Clown_BD. If a movie, say Avatar, that has regular dialog subtitle and forced subtitle, after Cloud_BD is done, do I end up with 2 separate .sub files, one for regular and one for just the forced subtitle? or are they combined into just 1 subtitle file to be converted to idx.

If so, I then drag those two .idx files into MKVMerge along with video and audio to create an MKV?

Damian January 12, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Jason,

Look at the BDSup2Sub section of my guide which explains how to handle subs (and how forced subtitles such as the ones in Avatar would appear). Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason January 19, 2012 at 11:50 am

Damian,

Tried several concert BDs with “Clown_BD” (mounted the ISO with Virtual Clone drive) and I am getting lots of audio out sync on almost all of AVC video format in BDs with HD audio tracks. The *.TS file that it created plays perfectly fine. The MKV that MKVMerge creates is the problem.

Example BDs are Michael Buble Caught in the Act, David Foster Hitman and a few others. I put in 23.976 like the guide says but not sure what is going on here. I thought Clown_BD was supposed to NOT have the audio out of sync problem that MakeMKV sometimes responsible for.

Also tried BluRip and could not go far as Blurip took about 20 mins (normally takes 2 hours with Clown_BD) for doing work on it and then reported that it was done and I can’t find any files in the output folder accept 3 files (log files and a chapter txt file). And yes I made sure to give it the correct output folder to work with (double check it).

Damian January 19, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Jason,

Many of the concert BDs are 1080i (so they are not 23.976 but usually I think 29.97). That will probably cause your issue if you are forcing 29.97 to be 23.976. To confirm run MediaInfo on your TS file and it should tell you what the fps is

robp January 19, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Also, if the video is not h.264 (many concerts are 1080i VC-1), you don’t need to specify any framerate in mkvMerge – it will detect it automatically.

Jason January 19, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Thanks Damian and Robp. I changed to 29.97 and works great now. Didn’t know about VC1 not needing fps.

Anyone know where I can get the fps for all BDs?

robp January 19, 2012 at 9:02 pm

You can always open the disc with eac3to – it will tell you the framerate.

You can pretty much assume that any interlaced Bluray is 29.970, and any progressive disc is 23.976 – I’ve never seen any exception to the rule.

Darksoul January 19, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Not all BDs are 24/1001. I experienced at least one or two where the framerate was 24 FPS.

Damian January 20, 2012 at 6:22 am

A good 95%+ of all Blu rays are 23.976. The only ones I have come across that are 1080i (which are VC1 29.97) are music concerts or documentaries. As robp mentioned you can use eac3to or what I do is just navigate to the m2ts file and use media info.

ray April 27, 2012 at 5:38 am

Thanks for the article.

A question. Do I have to convert the subtitle_English_exp.idx again into subtitle_English_exp_exp.idx? That’s my experience today. The former .idx file wasn’t recognised by mkvmerge, maybe something to do with the size.

Thanks.

Damian April 27, 2012 at 5:41 am

If you are using Clown_BD first via EAC3To it should create two sets up subtitles. I forget which one is the good one but it should have done everything without you needing to convert separately.

RefCache December 28, 2010 at 11:22 pm

@robp

Thank you very kindly for the response! I think I had a Doom9 account before, but none of the standard user names I usually use seemed to work, so I had to create one today.

Unfortunately new Doom9 accounts are unable to post/reply for the first five days, including PM’s. I don’t know if that also precludes receiving PM’s as well or not.

So you can either send me a PM over at Doom9 (same user name as shown here) or you can wait five days until I can send you a PM first! : )

Either way I very much appreciate you taking the time to respond and your willingness to share you guide!!

As it stands now I am reading through the mod16.org “101 things you never knew you could do with Matroska” for some background on file/segment linking, ordered chapters, editions, and the like.

{ 1 trackback }