MSS Fan Control Add-In Updated, Now Supports HP 3.0 Software

by Alex Kuretz on March 22, 2010 · 11 comments

in Add-Ins

MSS Fan Control is a Windows Home Server Add-In that allows you to change the behaviors of the exhaust fans in the HP MediaSmart Server EX470 and EX475. In the new 3.0 Software Upgrade for the HP MediaSmart Server EX470 and EX475, HP made a few changes that caused the Add-in to no longer work. Fortunately the fix was fairly simple and I’m happy to announce the availability of version 1.0.0.9 that supports EX47x servers running either HP 1.3 or 3.0 software. Note that this Add-In only works with the EX47x servers, as HP moved the fan controls into the BIOS in the EX48x and EX49x series servers.

While making the changes necessary to support 3.0, I took the opportunity to fix another minor bug with the way settings were initially loaded, plus added a new “Please Wait” dialog to inform the user that Fan Control is busy changing the server configuration.

MSS Fan Control Add-In for Windows Home Server

You can download the updated Add-In here, and let me know how it works for you. I’d also like to thank the Private Beta testers who help make sure my Add-Ins are working well before I unleash them on the general public. In particular the following testers that helped with this Add-In: Cougar, Comp1962, cavediver, erail, JohnBick, and Diehard.

Nigel Wilks March 22, 2010 at 11:09 am

Works great Alex, nice touch on the “Please Wait” dialog box. Great job!

Joe March 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Thank you very much. This is excellent!

Comp1962 March 23, 2010 at 12:38 am

Alex its working perfectly in both EX470′s, one running 1.3 the other 3.0 which I just installed and gave it a push to tax the BE2300 Processor. I do see a few processes running that are spiking the individual cores in the BE2300 but they are momentary spikes. The CPU temp did hit 49c so I adjusted the Fan Speed Control a little and the CPU temp with all that activity is now floating around 42c. Although I do not use nor require it I did turn on Twonky and its behaving itself. The other media functions are not yet turned on because I want the system to settle in for a few days.

MiquelB March 23, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Thanks Alex,

The Fan Ctrl seems to be running on my EX475 HP 3.0 (Spanish) but an error msg pops after install : “Error in write operation, see the internal exception ……”

Can I you send a PrintScreen from the msg?

Alex Kuretz March 23, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Those are bugs in the HP 3.0 software, from what I understand. You can post the error message in the forums in the Fan Control topic (preferable) or email it to me yakuza AT mediasmartserver DOT net.

David January 28, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Anyway to adjust the fan controls via bios for ex490? PSU fan very annoying! Thanks

Alex Kuretz January 28, 2012 at 1:38 pm

PSU fan speed isn’t controllable for any model. The case fan speeds are controlled in the BIOS for the EX48x and EX49x so you need the debug board to access those controls. The EX49x models have the newer power supply that is significantly quieter than previous models, if yours is noisy I would suspect it has an issue and may be on the way out.

{ 4 trackbacks }