diehard March 5, 2010 at 8:12 am

Thanks for the detailed review. My question is in preparation to TV Series. With the current version, if I choose to use the uTorrent addin for WHS to download current TV series RSS feeds and put the completed files in a folder d:\folders\uTorrent Downloads and I also have the current HP updates on my MediaSmart server. If I have Video Conversion monitoring my “Shares\Videos\TV Series” folder, when a uTorrent download completes, I have metabrowser monitor d:\folders\uTorrent\Downloads folder to grab the file and rename and deposit the file into the “Shares\Videos\TV Series” folder that HP’s Video Conversion is monitoring so that it can create a itouch version.

Problem is, it looks like metabrowser is transfering the file to the “Shares\Videos\TV Series” folder first, then renames it. However, Video Conversion grabs the file for processing before the renaming is done, therefore blocking the file from being renamed. Now I end up with a copy of the converted file then I have to run the scan again in MetaBrowser to nename it later. Then the conversion automatically restarts because Video Conversion has detected a new file name.

Therfore I end up having 2 conversions with different names and have to run metabrowser again and delete the previous file, it becomes time consuming because Video Conversion is spending time converting a file I will later delete and even though metabrowser is running it’s monitoring and so is Video Conversion.

Can there be a fix for this in the 2.0 build that allows the file to be renamed before it is put into the HP monitored folder ?

Might there be a WHSmetabrowser addin ?

Alex Kuretz March 5, 2010 at 8:36 am

Thanks for sharing the news on this Damian. It’s obviously hard to tell without a hands-on, but I’m struggling to figure out how this makes my experience easier, simpler, or better as a fairly hands-off user. Yes, there are a ton of new knobs to tweak and advanced features, plus more flexibility to work with different Media Center applications or plugins that should appeal to power users or reviewers such as yourself. It’s obvious the developer has put a ton of work into MetaBrowser and I really like the beta version I’m currently using.

Can you identify a few of the new features that would be most compelling to upgrade for an existing user of Metabrowser who has a simple setup with just MediaBrowser in WMC?

I do appreciate that the license allows you to install on two computers, that’s nice for installing on Windows Home Server as well as my PC for remotely looking at the content on my Home Server.

Comp1962 March 5, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Great review Damian! Just when you get me to use the previous version a new version pops up more impressive then the previous. Its all good for sure and its fun again to watch movies.

Jason March 7, 2010 at 10:40 pm

bummed about the pay model … I’m not a fan of continual annual payments. Rather pay a fee upfront, then they could pay for upgrades or something. Not really sure how annual charges are justified. We’ll have to see I guess. :(

Damian March 8, 2010 at 5:17 am

@ diehard,

Spoke with “<>< " regarding your issue: The reason meta doesn’t rename the file before moving it is b/c the metadata is not fetched till AFTER it is moved to the correct season folder, it’s just the way metabrowser is setup to work. The autofetching is setup to look for new items and moving the episode from the dropbox to the correct season folder constitutes a new media item….the autofetcher is also setup to look for existing series metadata before performing a metadata lookup/renaming, the dropbox function is not aware that once the file is moved that it is going to have it’s metadata fetched and be renamed.

He is looking into a workaround for issues such as you have, but doesn’t know yet if it will be feasible.

Also, there are no plans for a WHS Addin.

Damian March 8, 2010 at 6:21 am

@ Alex,

I added a “So Should You Upgrade?” blurb to the end of the writeup.

Alex Kuretz March 8, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Thanks Damian, that is helpful. Those features sound nice but at this point probably aren’t compelling enough for me to need to upgrade. With that said there is the point of contributing to a project that I find to be valuable, so I will re-evaluate things when it releases.

Toure March 9, 2010 at 7:31 am

Morning Damian,

Thanks for a well written and very in depth review of the new Metabrowser. Although there are plenty of new features to fall in love with. Unfortunately I haven’t mastered the previous version. Once I feel that I have gotten the most out of the previous version I will eventually move onto the next one. I still need to start and finish your codec guide for windows 7 etc.

Thanks again for your time and patience.

Touré

Damian March 9, 2010 at 3:42 pm

@ Toure,

Glad you enjoyed the writeup. Feel free to ask any questions related to Metabrowser or any other topic. I think regarding codecs my stance is to just use MPC with W7MC, so no codec messing around is required. However, it alsp depends on what file types you have that determine what is the best way. Glad to help where possible.

Cheers
Damian

Comp1962 March 9, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Damian,

No plans for a WHS ADD-IN? Thats the only place I would prefer to run this software

diehard March 9, 2010 at 4:59 pm

For now I add metabrowser to the list of programs in WHS Program Launcher addin. http://www.whsplus.com/2009/04/07/program-launcher/ or I RDC.