HP MediaSmart Server 3.0 Software Update available this week!

by Alex Kuretz on February 22, 2010 · 209 comments

HP has sent along the message that many of you have been anxious to hear for quite some time now: the 3.0 software update for the EX470/EX475/EX485/EX487 servers will be available later this week and will start shipping next week.

I’ve had copies of the upgrade DVD’s for about two weeks now and have performed the Server Recovery process on both an EX475 and EX487, with much better results than I experienced last time. There are two versions of the software, one for the EX470 and EX475, the other for the EX485 and EX487. Both sets include all three disks that you need: Client Software Install CD, PC Restore CD, and the Server Recovery DVD.

I will agree with the guidance by HP that you need to have at least 1GB of RAM (2GB is ideal) in your server to get decent performance so be sure to upgrade that first if you’re planning on installing this update. Also, the update does include a version of the Twonky media streaming software that is newer than the version included with the 3.0 patch 1 software on the EX490 and EX495 servers, and I did not encounter the same crippling CPU load issue as I experienced previously.

I have also made the install guides from HP available for you to download, be sure to read them thoroughly before you upgrade. These guides cover the new features available in the 3.0 software, explain what features you will lose from the 1.3 or 2.5 versions, and of course provide step by step instructions on how to perform the upgrade. The guides are also included on the upgrade disks, but I’m providing these copies with the permission of HP to give you a chance to review them prior to performing the update.

EX470 and EX475 Software Update Guide (right-click and Save-As)
EX485 and EX487 Software Update Guide (right-click and Save-As)

I have seen placeholders for the ordering page on the HP site, we’ll be sure to let you know when the links are live. Watch this site for my upgrade guide coming in the next day or so. In the mean time, you can read the full release from HP below.

HP MediaSmart Server 3.0 Software Update Availability

The 3.0 software update DVD will be available to order beginning later this week, with shipments beginning next week. These optional updates are available to purchase for owners of our EX470/475/485/487 products who want to upgrade their servers to the latest 3.0 software that is shipping on the EX490/495 products.

Please note the previously communicated information related to these updates:

1) The cost of the upgrade DVD has been finalized and will be US$25 or €25.

2) These upgrades will be available as a server recovery solution. HP recommends that you back up all server files prior to installing the upgrade.

3) This upgrade is not recommended for EX470/475 owners who have not already upgraded their Server DRAM to 1GB as certain features will not function.

To order the upgrade DVD, visit www.hp.com and enter your product model number in the “Support and Drivers” section. Then follow the path for your MediaSmart Server model number to order the upgrades.

We thank everyone for their continued support of the MediaSmart Server family of products.

Comp1962 February 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Finally its arrived. If I see made in CHINA on the discs I will know that they were delayed by Chinese New Year Cellibrations. Hell they are still cellibrating over there. Guess I will have to check everyday to see if I can place my order and I look forward to giving my EX470 a new look and feel and it will have a matching Port Multipiler to go with the new 3.0 look.

Mark Percy February 23, 2010 at 12:16 am

I have just ordered the upgrade for 120 danish kroner = 22$ :-)

Brice February 23, 2010 at 1:53 am

I’m getting confused with HP’s support website.

I followed instructions from their announcement and browsed the support website; entered the model number, followed the link to the EX475 server and… got lost.
Where shoud I click to order the 3.0 upgrade?
I’m getting “Error invalid product” and “Follow instructions below to order it by phone”. Confusing…
Where should I click? Please help…

Steffen Schreiber February 23, 2010 at 2:26 am

I just checked the German HP website and the update doesn’t seem to be available yet.

Steffen Schreiber February 23, 2010 at 2:28 am

Sorry, my bad. Just found it. HP charges 14,36 Euro. Not a bad price at all.

Carlos February 23, 2010 at 2:38 am

You can find the upgrade for the 480 and 485 but not for the 470 or for the 475. That is at least what happens to me…

Dave A. February 23, 2010 at 4:05 am

Well it appears that everyone else has access to except the good ole US of A.

Disappointed

You would think that it would be here first. Oh well, just have to wait.

Brice February 23, 2010 at 4:25 am

I found something available for United Kingdom.
Too bad I’m living in Switzerland…

I have relatives in US and Canada, but if nothing’s available for the EX47X series… I agree with Dave, that’s weird.

Wonko February 23, 2010 at 5:02 am

Hallo Steffen

As you wrote you’ve found a German page at HP to order the update. Could you please post that – I cannot catch it… ;-(

Daniel Baird February 23, 2010 at 6:37 am

HP’s website has never been friendly when trying to find drivers easily.
So this doesn’t surpirse me.

However, the fact that the EX47X software isnt available yet is vexxing. For those of you looking for the 48X software, it is available under the WINXP, and VISTA, and VISTA 64 links…

The fact it doesn’t just say “3.0 Software Upgrade” as an independent link under the product makes no sense.

Pasi Marijarvi February 23, 2010 at 6:51 am

For European users, see http://www.best2serve.com, since they sell/provide restore CD’s for HP. I ordered my EX475 3.0 update from them.

Steffen Schreiber February 23, 2010 at 6:58 am

@Wonko: Pasi just provided the link that I ordered the upgrade from as well. From the HP website it is indeed quite tricky to find it.

Wonko February 23, 2010 at 7:41 am

@Steffen: Is it possible to contact you BC? No chance to find it with my number…

Steffen Schreiber February 23, 2010 at 8:01 am

@Wonko: Ok, I will try to remember how I got there (I just tried it directly through the link http://www.best2serve.com/ but you need to enter a product code if you want to order a recovery CD from there).

So there you go:
1.) Go the HP website.
2.) Click on “Support and Drivers”
3.) Select “Download Driver & Firmware”
4.) Enter your product, e.g. “EX475″ in the “for product” field.
5.) Now select “Windows 7 (64 bit)” as an operating system (don’t ask me why, but it worked for me).
6.) This will take to you to a page with a direct link to the best2serve store.

When I just tried this again, it seemed to work for the UK store but not the German store. I have no idea why.

Alex Kuretz February 23, 2010 at 8:13 am

I understand everyone is anxious to get the update, however please understand that HP says the update will be available later this week. This does not mean it is available this moment. Since the placeholders are there, it certainly appears we can expect to see it soon.

No one is forgetting the US. These things have to roll out through heavy corporate infrastructure.

I also do not recommend purchasing anything from 3rd party sites such as the one listed above. If it is not appearing on the HP site, then these 3rd parties likely do not have access to the real software update. If the HP site does indeed redirect to the 3rd party site, then that must be the official way to get it.

Sean July 16, 2011 at 10:12 am

I have a EX470. I just purchased a laptop computer with a 64 bit Windows 7 OS and I need input on software support to link to the media server as there is no downloadable software on the HP site and the installation disc does not work on Windows 7. HP tech support could not provide any information on the same. Do you have any suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Alex Kuretz July 17, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Install from \\servername\software\Home Server Connector Software\ or by connecting to the server in a browser to http://servername:55000.

Ern Smith February 23, 2010 at 8:34 am

Just orderd from best2serve uk
£10 deliverd which is only $15.47

Michael February 23, 2010 at 9:01 am

This DVD is multilingual? I ordered the HP MediaSmart Server EX47x Series 3.0 Software Upgrade
COL32468_589796-ZH1-EMEA

Alex Kuretz February 23, 2010 at 9:21 am

No, I do not believe the disks are multilingual, when I worked on the original MediaSmart Server I had to build OS and Restore images for each language (FR, ES, EN, DE).

Daniel Baird February 23, 2010 at 9:23 am

has anyone gotten the 47X options in the US yet?

Michael February 23, 2010 at 9:30 am

Hello Alex! I bought this version “HP MediaSmart Server EX47x Series 3.0
Software Upgrade
[COL32468_589796-ZH1-EMEA]” on Best2Serve Germany.

I am not sure if it’s the German version. The HP support was not sure.

Wonko February 23, 2010 at 9:36 am

Hello Michael
So – at least my choice is now to wait until you have successfully upgraded with this DVD… ;-)

Amir February 23, 2010 at 10:15 am

I have a MSS ex470 with a dead hdd. I just bought a blank 1tb hdd from newegg. Should I first factory reset v1 on to the machine, or can I do a factory reset of v3 onto the machine when the update is available?

Michael February 23, 2010 at 10:19 am

i think you can make a factory reset from v3.0. You can see the screenshots on we got served.

Alex Kuretz February 23, 2010 at 10:31 am

Or you can see the screenshots in my 3.0 upgrade guide.

Amir, I would wait until you have the 3.0 software and do the Factory Reset on your new drive.

eidos February 23, 2010 at 10:40 am

Alex, As usual you are two steps ahead of everyone else. Thanks for the update. It seems premature to contact HP or try to get the update as in the USA it is not working. I have a question. I still have my original primary drive in use but I have 5 or 6 free 1TB drives. Is it worthwhile to update on a larger drive and retire my 500 GIG? It has never gotten above 4% full for whatever reason and I am running 9.5 TB.

Is it also worthwhile to do this and test the 3.0 on the system and keep the other drives out of the picture to see if I am happy with the changes?

Thanks for your input!

Pål Andreassen February 23, 2010 at 10:54 am

I hope they’ll fix this for Norway as well. If I search for EX475 on hp.no I’ve redirected to the UK site. I can find the 3.0 order link, but shipping country is locked to UK and I cannot change it :(

Alex Kuretz February 23, 2010 at 11:18 am

eidos, I don’t see a good reason to upgrade the system drive unless you are low on storage. It is probably a good deal to first install the 3.0 update on a different drive to test out the features. Make sure you remove all your drives so you don’t lose any data, and label the original system drive so you know to return it to the bottom slot.

Runar February 23, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Alex,

HP in Norway links to http://www.best2serve.com for the update so personally I wouldnt be to scared of byuing from them since it’s the official place HP links to.

Alex Kuretz February 23, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Thanks Runar, I understand that, my concern was around people trying to purchase the update directly from Best2Serve before it is available on the HP site and possibly getting the wrong item. If people can wait long enough to make sure they are correctly directed from the HP site as HP has advised then there should be no issues.

Michael February 23, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Alex, we have been waiting long enough …

Alex Kuretz February 23, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Then you aren’t reading the release announcement which clearly says “later this week”. Go right ahead, if you want to take the chance of getting 1.3 recovery disks it’s not my problem, you don’t have to take my advice. :)

John February 23, 2010 at 6:20 pm

When I go to the HP site and get to the EX485 area and select my Win 7 as my OS, there are no updates listed. However, if I select Vista or XP, the 3.0 update is listed.

Is there something I need to be concerned about as a Win 7 user?

Tom W February 23, 2010 at 6:40 pm

@John, I just checked the same page and clicked Vista.
I got to the CD-ROM order page but when I clicked the “HP MediaSmart Server EX48x Series 3.0 Software Upgrade” item I got a “invalid product” error, saying to try again or place a phone order.

Drew February 23, 2010 at 9:26 pm

I have been thinking about getting an lx195 for $$ reasons, but I mostly run a Mac, is there any chance the software is going to be upgraded for the LX195?

Brice February 24, 2010 at 1:10 am

Quoting M. Kuretz, I guess i will wait until “Later this week”.
This is fair enough, I think I can wait until information spread between HP backoffice teams and therefore their websites.

Probably HP have other priorities than spreading this upgrade worldwide and provide full support for downloading it; I can understand and accept that.
However, I will keep on having a closer look to the US, Canadian, French and Swiss websites every day.
I’ll keep you posted.

Alex Kuretz February 24, 2010 at 1:15 am

@John – No, the Upgrade disks will be listed for the MediaSmart Server product, they may be listed under various operating systems but as long as you order the 3.0 upgrade kit for your model of server then you should be fine.

@Drew – HP has said they will NOT make this update available for the LX195, sorry.

Ern Smith February 24, 2010 at 7:57 am

Hi

I used the link directly from HP uk site and the order states

HP MediaSmart Server EX47x Series 3.0 Software Upgrade
[COL32468_589796-ZH1-EMEA]
Not yet shipped. 1 £ 10,00

It all looks like the correct upgrade
So I will not be a happy if they sent me a 1.3 version !

ern

hellerbrewing February 24, 2010 at 9:13 am

Alex,

How does the CPU in the EX470/475 handle the update? Is there an decrease in overall performance of the server?

Steve

YukonGuy February 24, 2010 at 9:41 am

I am looking forward to being able to upgrade my EX475 like everyone that has posted comments here.

Based on the comments posted here and the frustration and confusion that has been caused maybe it would have been better to post this information next week.

Kel

Alex Kuretz February 24, 2010 at 10:01 am

@hellerbrewing – I’ve got some subjective performance discussion in my 3.0 update guide, check that and post there or in the forums if you have further specific questions.

KwadGuy February 24, 2010 at 10:26 am

Does anyone know if these discs are one machine key licensed, or can I order one set of discs to upgrade several EX470 boxes?

Can anyone comment on whether the EX485 upgrade (have one of those, too) is worth the trouble?

Alex Kuretz February 24, 2010 at 10:41 am

@KwadGuy – For the license issue, see my reply to “tlwizard” in the forums. I discuss the considerations for whether or not you’d want to upgrade in my 3.0 update guide.

Comp1962 February 24, 2010 at 11:10 am

Since this announcement I have been on HP’s Website every chance I get looking for the ability to order the upgrade for my EX470. Today it appeared but not under the Server 2003 Software Selection but in the areas for the WINDOWS XP, VISTA, etc area but its right now just a listing that really does not work. Do not know why they put it there unless its for some sort of testing but its very close and its just the middle of the week so hopefully they will add it in soon and I can place the order for the upgrade. No real rush on my part because I am currently migrating my data over to a new server so the upgrade will be sitting here for a while before I can install it anyway.

Daniel Baird February 24, 2010 at 1:29 pm

well, for us 470/5 users, the software update is listed available for order. nowm if only the links worked…

\getting closer

Daniel Baird February 24, 2010 at 2:21 pm

ordered my 47x software. 27.95 plus 1.75 for shipping.

Man, I am a geek… I am excited about dropping 30 bucks on software.

Tom W February 24, 2010 at 2:26 pm

It’s looking like the 47x product link is working but not the 48x

Sean February 24, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Seems like the upgrade is online. I just placed my order for the ex470. The price was a little higher than posted… I think they said $27.95 for the software plus an extra couple of bucks for shipping (US Mail). Total for me was $30.40. Estimated delivery was listed as 3/5/10.

Comp1962 February 24, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I just ordered the upgrade for the EX470 but what I do not understand is why you have to select it from another OS listing like VIST or XP why not from the Server2003 listing.

Anyway it says I should have my 3.0 by March 5th so lets see.

eidos February 24, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I agree that it is confusing to order by an operating system that is not the one used on the server. I assume that you can use the disks to install from any Windows 7, Vista or XP computer since I use all three operating systems in my home. I even have 32 Bit and 64Bit systems.

Evgeniy February 25, 2010 at 3:41 am

Hi! I live in Russia, help as I can get update 3.0 for Mediasmart server ex470?

Alex Kuretz February 25, 2010 at 7:55 am

HP never released this product in Russia, so unfortunately you’d have to find a source to purchase it from in another country.

Chris February 25, 2010 at 7:00 am

I have a ex470 and the link you provided got me to the “hp mediasmart server ex48x series 3.0 software upgrade.” which I ordered. After doing so, I realized the disk was for ex48x. Will this work for the 470 also. I couldn’t find another version on HP’s website. (I also couldn’t find how to get to the disk I ordered via HP’s website without your link) Thanks for any insite.

Alex Kuretz February 25, 2010 at 7:50 am

Sorry to hear that you ordered the wrong product. I would imagine that HP has contact info listed on your emailed receipt that should let you get in touch with them to attempt to correct the issue.

Ron February 25, 2010 at 11:38 am

Wow, I just checked the HP website and for me to get the upgrade for my EX470, it’s going to cost almost $65 Cdn. The only option for shipping is Fedex Priority. The price is not broken down so I have to assume shipping is $30 to $40. Friggin ridicules.

YukonGuy February 25, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Ron: I paid $59.62 CAD in total here in the Yukon. It’s interesting that HP did not offer me a ground shipping option. Air only! Shipping by air is expensive but, here in the Yukon a lot of stuff is expensive because that’s the way it is. I decided to go for it.

Kel

Jeff Barnett February 25, 2010 at 2:55 pm

In reading through the upgrade documents, I am worried that the upgrade will wipe out all my settings on my HP EX470
I am running PHP and HMailserver
Will have to to set these applications up again when I do the upgrade

Alex Kuretz February 25, 2010 at 2:59 pm

@Jeff Barnett – Yes, the whole OS is deleted and replaced, you will need to reinstall and configure those applications.

Scott February 25, 2010 at 3:39 pm

finally was able to order it today. ~$30 shipped and taxed in the US. Should be here next week.

Mark Grunenwald February 25, 2010 at 5:26 pm

So the link for the 48x version is up but not the 47x??
What gives.

Mark Grunenwald February 25, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Sorry, never mind. I found it. Can’t wait to try it out!!!

Stan Groves February 25, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Thanks for all your guidance. My copy is on order (EX485)

I have seen no comment yet regarding what happens to the backups of the computers on my network. The folders I have already backed-up onto an external HDD, but the backups were not available.

Do you have any data here?

Trevor February 25, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Yeah Canadian customers are getting hosed by HP. I also just had to pay $59.62 shipped to Edmonton. I guess they dont like having Canadian customers. :(
Things like this come in handy when im looking at buying new computers and printers.

Peter February 26, 2010 at 3:07 pm

HP MSS Team failed, once again with this update, exactly in distribution and fair pricing, definitely here in Canada (I am also from Edmonton). What I want is 25$US download .iso from HP, not a 70$US DVD shipped from US to Canada ! Common, its just software update and we are in 2010. Not 60′ies buying stuff from Sears catalog. Nobody ships DVD anymore !

It is inexcusable sloppiness and disregard from HP Team to offer only DVD. To not only charge outrageous $59.62CAD (~54$US) for the update but also force to be shipped with only 1 choice -Fedex Air. Not only the most expensive carrier, but only currier that often charges on delivery (suprice, suprice) additional 10-15$ for their “border agents” – which $60CAD DVD + $15Fedex extra = 77$CAD ($68US) ! Quite expensive proposition suddenly for $25US DVD ! (for information USPS Priority Int’l mail would be $11.45, total $36.45US (25DVD+11.45Shipping) if you didn’t know)

HP should make acquiring this update brain-simple and fair-priced. And do it so quickly. If HP keeps unreasonable pricing in other countries like in Canada, or even more, fails to offer simple update for users in any country, anywhere in the world NOW – then the path of least resistance and fastest for many is to look elsewhere – typically the bittorent area. Sorry to say the obvious.

Alex Kuretz February 26, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Things don’t get much simpler than ordering DVD media. HP isn’t allowed to provide ISO files due to Microsoft licensing restrictions on the Server Recovery disk, which you’ll be violating if you pursue the “bittorent area”.

Trevor February 26, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Well 1st things 1st, after paying through the nose for shipping, they still havent even shipped the disks yet. For the price I am paying for shipping they better be sending me tracking info within in an hour of them opening this AM and thanking me profusly for letting them rip me off for the shipping charges. Now the earliest I will see them will be next weekend if I am lucky.

Alex if it wasnt for your GREAT site, my HP Server would have been tossed in the garbage within a month of me owning it as it plain out sucks the way HP ships them. But as for the Microsoft comments about not downloading software, I download ISO’s from Microsoft on a weekly basis without issue. Most every other software maker offers ISO’s for download. In fact I cant even remember the last time I purchased any software online that had to be shipped.

I built my own Windows Home Server with ISO’s that I legally downloaded from Microsoft and it is 1000% better than the HPServer will ever be. I do not condone or recommend pirating software, but HP is not doing themselves any favours with the way they have handled this entire update process.

After all the hassle I have gone through with recovering the HP Server 2 times in the last few months, I will not be buying or recommending HP Servers (products) to anyone.

I have been buying nothing but HP computer products for the past 10 or so years, averaging a new laptop/computer every year and new printer every other year. Not anymore, and I have a few customers that I am setting up with home servers and they definately will not be the HP ones now.

Great job by HP alienating good customers, keep up the good work!

Peter February 26, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Alex, no one is happy with bit-torrent solution, especially for household server. Thanks for pointing out Microsoft’s restriction for HP to not distribute ISO but only DVD – the fact, I may not be aware of. Nevertheless, if we are talking DVD, this kind of selling and shipping this $25 DVD update to Canadians for $70 is amateurish, ridiculous, offending and seems more like some gorilla action by small papa-mama-shop in US Midwest, guys who didn’t do their homework and were fully satisfied with TV commercials that Fedex ships outside of US. And they don’t care much more. I can excuse such small shop, I can not excuse large shop as HP with their resources for not knowing how to do business in Canada. There is a HP Canada in Toronto and much smaller Apple Canada 30minutes away. I am Windows guy, but what a difference Apple and others are doing business here.

To illustrate and compare how purely executed is distribution of this HP update, let look at the other guy -Apple. They had their 10.6 -Snow Leopard 29$US (35$CAD) upgrade recently that I ordered (I have mixed household running Windows PCs, HP MSS Server, Mac). Shipping cost 13$CAD; total cost of upgrade 35+13=48CAD (~43$US). For curiosity, shipping slip showed travel Cupertino,US->Toronto,Canada->Edmonton,Canada for 13$CAD (~11.70$US).

Compare that to this 14% cheaper “25$US” HP update (from Texas ?): 59.62$CAD (~54$US) + hidden fee10-15$CAD to Fedex extra “border fee” on delivery =74.62$CAD (~68$US) if shipped from US. For the same price what HP ships with Fedex (46.62CAD), with Apple and others you can buy 18 most expensive beer cans in Canada (in Alberta) still have enough money for shipping DVD from Cupertino, California for 13$CAD and no extras and hidden fees. Cheese, 18 beers !

After initial failure to provide 3.0 update also to EX470 customers, then long 9 months of waiting for this update, now this -botched and carelessly expensive delivery of this update … do not feel much like a joyful HP customer and there are none of 18 beers celebrate with the 3.0 update.. What a difference 18 beers most expensive Canadian beers make in customer satisfaction !

Alex Kuretz February 27, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Peter, I understand your frustration but there’s nothing I can do about it, you’re best off taking it up with HP support.

John February 27, 2010 at 3:06 am

Hello Guys,

I live in Holland and both a EX 485 8 months ago in the USA, now i want to upgrade to 3.0 because i.m a mac user HP don’t ship to the Netherlands.

What to do now, provide it on the Piratebay, thats not what we want right…..

BR John

KwadGuy February 27, 2010 at 7:45 am

Just ordered the EX47x upgrade disc for the USA. Delivery time is estimated as 3/23/10. Boy, more than three weeks to get a DVD to me…Not digging that…

Rick February 27, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I tried to order the 3.0 upgrade software and encountered the typical bull**** for which HP is becoming famous. The HP webpage http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=3855978&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us
which provides access to the 3.0 software upgrade order page for the EX480 series, requires that you select �Which operating system is used with your product?� and lists eight operating systems from which you must select one. Now the six client PCs that connect to my WHS use five different operating systems, so is HP suggesting that I need to purchase a set of upgrade discs for each client OS or is this just HP finding another way to annoy me so that I would sell my WHS on ebay and buy some other company�s product?
To clarify the issue I took 20 minutes of my valuable time to call HP customer support where I learned that notwithstanding what the offending webpage implies, one set of upgrade discs will work for all my clients. Apparently, HP is aware of the confusion caused by the offending webpage but will not change the webpage because that will incur some additional costs. What a �smart� company !!!

Rick February 27, 2010 at 4:39 pm

which provides access to the 3.0 software upgrade order page for the EX480 series, requires that you select “Which operating system is used with your product?” and lists eight operating systems from which you must select one. Now the six client PCs that connect to my WHS use five different operating systems, so is HP suggesting that I need to purchase a set of upgrade discs for each client OS or is this just HP finding another way to annoy me so that I would sell my WHS on ebay and buy some other company’s product?

To clarify the issue I took 20 minutes of my valuable time to call HP customer support where I learned that notwithstanding what the offending webpage implies, one set of upgrade discs will work for all my clients. Apparently, HP is aware of the confusion caused by the offending webpage but will not change the webpage because that will incur some additional costs. What a “smart” company !!!

Rick February 27, 2010 at 5:00 pm

***CORRECTINS: WHS changed to MSS***

which provides access to the 3.0 software upgrade order page for the EX480 series, requires that you select “Which operating system is used with your product?” and lists eight operating systems from which you must select one. Now the six client PCs that connect to my MSS use five different operating systems, so is HP suggesting that I need to purchase a set of upgrade discs for each client OS or is this just HP finding another way to annoy me so that I would sell my MSS on ebay and buy some other company’s product?

Albert C February 27, 2010 at 6:45 pm

I live in Canada

I am looking to order the 3.0 upgrade but got pissed off at the 100% premium fro being a Canuck!

Has anyone found a cheaper way to get this product north of the border?

Comp1962 February 27, 2010 at 7:20 pm

@ Albert it might be cheaper if you know someone in the US who you can have purchase the discs and just mail them through the postal service. Your friend who have to check the postal rates from their location to yours then you can determine if its better for you but I think it will be cheaper that way if you know someone here in the USA

Benoit Miller February 28, 2010 at 9:54 am

The most annoying thing is, if you select US when ordering you can see HP can ship via USPS, and the update is $30 instead of $70. It seems they do not know that USPS can reach Canada just fine… What a rip-off!

Any US-based volunteers willing to ship the update to Canada? :)

Joe March 1, 2010 at 4:42 am

Did anyone receive their update disks yet? Is there a part number for them?

Rob March 1, 2010 at 9:40 am

There are a few guys in my position (e.g. in Europe / Outside UK/US but with UK / US versions and unable to buy Eng lang version of upgrade). What I did, was go to http://www.best2serve.com/?show_flow=SWCD&land=GB&lang=en&sapos_keyword=589796-ZH1-EMEA&product_id=70463&category_id=285723

Using a UK proxy to avoid being auto-kicked to Spanish site (where the software is unsurprisingly “not available”). Then continue purchase – 10 uk pounds inc shipping to UK. I had mine sent to a relative for shipping on to me. Alternatively use a service which will do this for you.

Hope this is of use to others who are trying to avoid the “torrent route” which HP are unknowingly encouraging. :)

Kendal March 1, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Had a promise date to get my disk today.. as you can guess I didn’t get them. I kinda wasn’t suprised by it, called HP and all I got was” I’m not sure why you didn’t get them, call back tomorrow.” all I got was a trouble ticket and told to wait for the disk. Has anyone got their disk yet. I ordered mine on 2-24 shipping to Dallas Texas

Comp1962 March 1, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Ordered my 3.0 on Feb 24th and my delivery date is Mar 5th. Guess we shall see but for me everthing in the past I have ordered from HP has always arrived on time.

YukonGuy March 1, 2010 at 10:44 pm

My disc order is supposed to be here in the Yukon tomorrow but, the discs haven’t left HP yet. I called HP after tracking my order to find out that HP has run out of discs! Wonderful! I told the support specialist I was talking to that in today’s world they should put a notification up stating that HP is taking orders and will ship orders when discs are available.

Truly amazing!

Kel

Comp1962 March 1, 2010 at 11:51 pm

@ YukonGuy ~ Running out of discs is not good but I am not surprised that HP might of underestimated the demand for this upgrade as I have seen some people mention they will not be getting their discs until the end of the month. I ordered mine on the 24th the first day they showed up for the EX47x and I am not scheduled to get mine unil the 5th. I am in no real rush to get mine because I just got done moving all my stuff over to the new server and I am not really using my EX470′s for anything other then backuping up my clients.

Just because your discs have not left HP yet does not mean they have not reserved a set for you. They could be on the loading dock waiting to be picked up but they should of been able to provide you with a FEDex tracking number. If you have a FEDex tracking number then you do have an existing set of discs if not then I do not know what to say.

moffy March 2, 2010 at 2:18 am

Ordered my 3.0 on 23rd Feb UK and still nothing. wen i track my 3.00 Upgrade it tells me (Not yet shipped) whats going ….HP…..

Comp1962 March 2, 2010 at 6:23 am

I just received an email from HP Apologising for a delay in shipping of my order for the 3.0. Guess they must really be out of discs. But atleast they sent out a notification.

Daniel Baird March 2, 2010 at 6:42 am

Well, this should add soem fuel to the fire…
As received this AM around 06:40 CST

“At HP our products are designed, manufactured and serviced, to meet our high standards.

We apologize for the possible delay in delivery of your service; however, we are diligently working on expediting your order.”

I think HP underestimated the desire for this upgrade. Or they expected all the first gen MSS boxes to be dead by now. You would think they would have been like… “Let’s see, we sold 400,000 devices, let’s make 400,000 DVD sets to cover our bases.” I guess the corporate world still needs an infusion of some common sense here and there.

Hopefully they just get their heads out of their a**es and make it available for download. I can only imagine 98% of the MSS users have a nice fat pipe to the house nowadays.

Daniel Baird March 2, 2010 at 7:43 am

I guess i should have read everything else prior to posting. That is unfortunate about the ISO issue.

eidos March 2, 2010 at 9:43 am

I also just received an appology e-mail from HP for not delivering my disks when they are not due till Friday. I ordered almost immediately when the news came out so I can hardly believe that they were sold out. I wonder if they were really ready. As a big HP fan I hate to think the “Toyota factor” is kicking in here.

When I use my credit card, items usually ship in one day. They should realize that all early technology adoptors are also type “A” ahol-s and would be impatient to get their new toys. I appreciate that they are retrofitting and this attitude helps keep me loyal to HP but let’s get the act together.

Rick March 2, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Good I saw this web site, I was almost ready to buy a HP EX485 or EX 49x until saw this HP upgrade fact. At the price it is ($699 Canadian), you expect FFFRRREEEE update software and most of it by internet not mail (2010???).

I’ll give a try with opensource software like Amahi, I least the update is free and by internet.

Thanks for letting me save $$$$ and frustraction.

Benoit Miller March 2, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Just put in my order through a US-based friend to avoid the HP Canadian Rip-Off Tax. ETA is 03/23, that’s quite a long delay, ugh… Not counting the extra delays for the double shipping :(

Kendal March 3, 2010 at 6:46 am

I’m kind of doubting these disk are real on something other than a order form.. No disk sightings from anyone yet? Mine was supposed to arrive 3/1 and hp really has no clue! This amazes me how a company this size could fall so short on what seemed to be an easy task of estimating disk needed.

Benoit Miller March 3, 2010 at 5:05 pm

@Kendal, what I find amazing is that in 2010, a company wants to ship a DVD via FedEx Air instead of putting up the .iso online. Yes, I know this is a Microsoft licensing issue, but it’s still retarded! :)

Pasi Marijarvi March 5, 2010 at 2:36 am

Today my Best2Serve order is in shipped status. I ordered it 23th Feb.

TheBeagle March 5, 2010 at 2:50 am

On February 25th, 2010 I ordered the HP 3.0 software upgrade for my ex485 WHS. I received an email acknowledging the purchase, and I checked with my credit card issuer and likewise saw that HP had already been paid for that purchase. The new 3.0 software was to be DELIVERED by March 5th, 2010, which is TODAY.

However, a check on the order number, which was supplied by HP in their acknowledgment email, indicates that my order for the 3.0 software has NOT EVEN BEEN SHIPPED! This is OUTRAGEOUS.

This type of conduct by HP is nothing short of FRAUDULENT. HP now has my money, has not even shipped the product, and there is no clue as to when I might ever receive my purchase. Shame on you HP!

I would like the MediaSmart Server web site to begin demanding some answers from HP for this kind of dishonest business practice!

Richard Walsh March 5, 2010 at 8:20 am

I am frustrated as well. BUT, I would not call it fraudulent. That is a real stretch. They obviously did not plan very well, that is for sure. Is it bad service, absolutely it is.

On the other hand, they are supporting a product that is years old – 470 in my case – allowing me to give it a new lease of life, thus ensuring they sell less of their newer products. To be honest, if not for this CD release, I would have bought the newest one. It is saving me a load of money.

Plus they are emailing and calling personal customers to apologize and update and new shipping date. So yes they have not planned well, but all in all, I think they are really taking care of their original customers and I certainly appreciate that. I am trying to be patient and will be very frustrated if I have not received my order by the end of March, but in the end will very happy when it does arrive.

Brovig March 5, 2010 at 11:48 am

Still no sign of a USPS or UPS shipping option for Canadians, leaving us with $65 FedEx as our only option. Any of you Americans willing to help? Or any Torrent solutions out there?

Kfurter March 5, 2010 at 11:58 am

Just ordered the DVD in Germany: 14 Euros and free shippping :-)

TheBeagle March 5, 2010 at 12:08 pm

The FRAUDULENT part of this whole mess is that HP has already charged my credit card and is making money on that deposit to their bank account. Meanwhile, I have no product, and the time limit for me to pay the credit card company shrinks every day. Eventually, the product is not received during the credit card grace period (less at least 5 days for mailing in the monthly payment), I will be forced to pay the credit card company for a product I haven’t received. That sinks.

This is a classic example of what is wrong in this nation (USA), and elsewhere as well – namely, a person’s or company’s word means nothing any more. If HP was truly a reputable corporation, they would NOT fully charge a customer’s credit card UNTIL the product actually shipped. That would be equitable, and most importantly, the HONORABLE thing to do.

While I respect the contrary view post above, I still find HP’s conduct in this matter to be reprehensible, and at least dishonest and self-serving!

Comp1962 March 5, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Well I ordered mine on 2/24 and it was due to arrive today 3/5. As expected it did not arrive. I checked HP’s site and it has not even shipped yet. I did receive an email from HP apologizing for the delay a few days ago. Guess I will have to wait it out like everyone else. This is the first time HP as ever missed a delivery date for me. My guess is they out sourced the disc production and their vender is late. But I am not going to complain about it because I know the discs will arrive in due time but I am anxious to get my hands on them thats for sure but right now its not the end of the world. My servers are running and continue to serve me well.

David March 6, 2010 at 10:33 am

I too had a delivery date of March 4th. However, I had a phone call from HP saying there were delays and I should receive it about the 18th.

The MediaSmart is a pretty small niche market place. I would have expected HP to have better estimated the production and delivery of the disks much more accurately. Either that, or they encountered a last minute bug that they wanted to fix prior to mass distribution.
Not well communicated by HP.

Rick March 6, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I have been buying HPs products (printers, computers and accessories) since 1991 and after getting tired of the diminishing quality of their products and services over the recent years I made a decision late last year to consider other manufacturers products. The EX485 was my last HP purchase and late last year I purchased a Dell workstation and a Toshiba notebook. This 3.0 upgrade fiasco in the preverbal “final nail in the coffin” for my relationship with HP. I do agree with the previous comments which suggest that it is fraudulent to disguise a pre-order as an order and for HP to collect consumers’ money for a product that HP should know would not be available for shipment for several weeks.

I sympathize with the consumers who paid for next day delivery, thinking that they would get the CD set the day after paying for the order only to learn later that delivery will be weeks into the future.

Unlike the contrary post of March 5, 2010 at 8:20 am, I am totally dissatisfied with HP over this issue.

christophe March 7, 2010 at 6:40 am

hello,
I bought in Canada a HP MediaSmart Server ex485. I want to make the update version 3. the problem: living in France I can not order the cd (which is only available for U.S. or Canada).
could you tell me how?
thanks,

TheBeagle March 7, 2010 at 8:06 am

Hello Christophe,

Sounds like you need a friend who lives in the States or Canada. They could order the 3.0 update for you and then when it arrives, they can resend it on to you in France. Other than that, I don’t know a way to do it.

In any event, Ihope you get your upgrade before Christmas of this year – since those of us who ordered it here in the USA have been stuck waiting to see if the upgrade or the Easter Bunny will arrive first! Best regards. TheBeagle

Patoune March 7, 2010 at 10:01 am

Same problem, I bought in Canada a HP MediaSmart Server ex485 but the problem: i living in Switzerland… I can not order the cd (which is only available for U.S. or Canada).
could you tell me how?

thanks,

Drew Pearson March 7, 2010 at 7:24 pm

I’m betting on the Easter Bunny!

Patoune March 8, 2010 at 12:13 pm

hello,
I have the same problem living in Switzerland to get the update as I bought the server HP MediaSmart 485 in Canada (the 485 never ditrib in Switzerland)

Do you know if the update for the 485 are in French?

TheBeagle March 8, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Good Evening Everyone,

Well, it’s March 8th, 2010, and the HP 3.0 software upgrade, which was supposed to be delivered by March 5th, has not arrived. A check with the HP Customer Order Web Site reveals that my order has not even been shipped yet.

Some of the posters have indicated that they received a telephone call from an HP representative trying to explain the inordinate delay in shipping this software upgrade. However, I, for one, have not had that courtesy extended to me on account of my delayed order shipment.

If HP had any sort of corporate conscious (I know, that’s an oxymoron), it would publicly acknowledge that they had totally dropped the ball on this software upgrade, and that they engaged, via outsourcing, some village idiots to accomplish this task. However, the corporate world being was it disgracefully happens to be, it is more likely to snow in Florida on the 4th of July than see HP own up to its mistake. We are all stuck – and they unfortunately have us by the short hairs!

Steffen Schreiber March 9, 2010 at 1:40 am

My upgrade discs arrived in the mail today. I ordered them on February 23rd from Germany. They were shipped Friday last week from the Netherlands.

Adam March 9, 2010 at 4:41 am

I’ve got mine today also for the ex470. Paid 139SEK about €13. Much cheaper than i expected. So now the big job begins with moving everything from the server not to loose any data. pjuuh.

Alex Kuretz March 9, 2010 at 8:25 am

It’s good to hear that the discs are beginning to arrive!

Kendal March 10, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Anyone in the US start getting their disk yet?

TheBeagle March 10, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Good Evening Everyone,

It’s now the evening of March 10th 2010 and my HP 3.0 software has still not arrived, even though it was “alleged” by HP that it was to be DELIVERED on March 5th. And, once again, a check with the HP Customer Service Order Status web site shows that the software has not been shipped.

This is further proof of the deplorable and disreputable actions of HP. The folks at HP really ought to be ashamed of themselves for this fiasco!

Mark March 10, 2010 at 8:00 pm

In the US, ordered mine on Feb. 25, was suppose to be delivered on March 5. I did receive e-mail from HP on March 3, notifying me of a delay, but no new shipment date. My order status has not been updated, it still says order to be shipped on March 5, but obviously that date has passed.

Comp1962 March 10, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I am still waiting for my discs to arrive. Going home and checking the mail is like the best part of my day until I find my discs have not arrived. I know they will arrive and my need for them is not as great as many of you so maybe thats why I am also abit more patient. Of course I have other things due to arrive starting tomorrow like new RAM and Processors for my new server but I am really interested in seeing what the 3.0 is about and what if any improvement it might provide for my EX470′s.

Unlike most I am not upset with HP they have always served me well in the past and for some I can understand their being upset but I know the discs will arrive and hopefully it will be before the weekend. Some have Miller Time on the weekends I just have Server Time and it comes without hang overs too.

Gary March 11, 2010 at 9:02 am

I am glad that HP is providing the 3.0 upgrade for the EX470 boxes but there is no excuse for the delay in shipping. HP should not have taken orders until they were ready the ship the discs. It would also be the right thing for HP to do to explain what is causing the delay to everyone waiting for their discs and to provide an updated delivery date.

Brice March 11, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Same story as Patoune,

I purchased my 470 in US 2 years ago. The OS is therefore in english; but I ordered the french upgrade discs.
By the way I received them yesterday without any notifications, but at least I received them.

The plan is not to upgrade (as I guess it will detect my OS is in english and fail) but try using the Recovery discs to reinstall it in french.
Email me, then I will let you know if successful.

Wish me luck!

TheBeagle March 13, 2010 at 12:10 am

Once again, another two days have passed by and still no HP 3.0 software upgrade has arrived, despite the promise from HP that it would be delivered on March 5th. The HP Customer Order Status web site likewise indicates that the software has not even been shipped.

Meanwhile, HP has my money, and I’m approaching the time limit whereby I must forward payment to the credit card company for this item, which product I have never received. The Good Book says: “Thou Shalt Not Steal” This leads me to an inescapable conclusion: HP is a THIEF!

Comp1962 March 13, 2010 at 7:15 am

@ TheBeagle ~ Actually HP probably removed your transaction from the card you used. Check with the bank to see. Someone mentioned that HP was not going to charge for the transaction until the discs were shipped. I know my account was charged but the other day when I looked at my account that transaction was removed.

TheBeagle March 13, 2010 at 8:01 pm

@ Comp1962 ~ Obviously, HP must be much fonder of you as a customer than me. I checked my online billing statement for my credit card – and indeed HP still has my money. I continue to consider the Good Book to be correct – Thou Shalt Not Steal! Can you hear me HP?

Comp1962 March 13, 2010 at 9:02 pm

@ TheBeagle the charge might be on the statement because once a statement is generated its etched in stone. Check all your transactions online to see if it either still shows up and if so check to see if its been credited. All I know is even though my bank no longer shows a transaction I still have to carry it on my end because I know it will appear again. So while those funds may be available I still keep the transaction on my end.

TheBeagle March 14, 2010 at 4:10 am

@ Comp1962 ~ It does NOT seem to me that I should have to search my online bank records to determine if an international corporation, namely HP, is stealing from me. However, I did exactly what you suggested, and the debit to my account, and the transaction involving payment for the HP software is still there. The Good Book is still right about HP, they are THIEVES!

Alex Kuretz March 14, 2010 at 11:20 am

@TheBeagle – You do realize that by venting here you’re just unloading on your fellow community members, and that HP is most likely not reading these comments? If you have a problem with HP billing you are best off taking that issue up with HP support.

Mike March 14, 2010 at 8:23 pm

@TheBeagle – Totally agree w/Alex. No offense intended, but please chill out w/the references to the bible. It’s a large company and if you’re having issues please call them to check on the status of your order. I’m sure this isn’t the first time you’ve had issues with an order shipping and most certainly won’t be the last. Please don’t use this site as a medium to project your religious beliefs.

TheBeagle March 15, 2010 at 6:51 am

@ Alex & Mike ~ I don’t know what causes you to believe that I am espousing some particular religious belief in my previous comments. I simply cited to the best known authority in the world concerning basic moral values and conduct. Everyone is certainly free to judge HP’s conduct by their set of moral and ethical values. BTW, I did communicate directly with HP on this situation, in most polite terms, and HP had the courtesy to totally not respond to my inquiry.

It occurs to me that these latest criticisms of my comments may be fueled by a slightly too close relationship between this web site and HP. What say you about that question? And since it was the commentary and review articles on this web site that encouraged me to buy that HP 3.0 software upgrade in the first place, I simply wanted to warn others about the pitfall of ordering that item from HP. Have a Nice Day. TheBeagle

Brovig March 15, 2010 at 10:25 am

@TheBeagle – Add me to those that feel you’re losing perspecive and venting just a bit too much. You’re making a huge mountain of a simple mole hill. It’s just a piece of $25 software. You – and the rest of us -will get it soon enough.

And by the way, I have absolutely no association with HP!

Rivercat March 15, 2010 at 11:48 am

My biggest annoyance with HP is that when I called the support number, I had to be re-routed FOUR times before I found some who could “help” me. Then even that person could tell me nothing more than that there was “no tracking number yet” and that I “need to just wait longer”. What a waste of 23 minutes.

Alex Kuretz March 15, 2010 at 12:02 pm

TheBeagle – I believe my relationship with HP has been clearly identified. I worked at HP until 2008, since then I’ve received no financial compensation from HP. All I get from HP is review units (which I disclose in my reviews) and advance notice when they make announcements. If you have a concern I suggest you spell it out clearly so I can address it.

You used “polite terms” to contact HP, but then call them thieves on a public forum which they don’t read. How is that helpful to the community here?

To best benefit the community please do share your story and frustrations, and also hopefully your successful upgrade story when you receive your disks. Try to do it in a constructive way without the name calling.

Alex Kuretz March 15, 2010 at 12:09 pm

@Rivercat – We’ve got the instructions that should speed up connecting to the MediaSmart Server support team, if you need it in the future.

eidos March 15, 2010 at 1:45 pm

One of the great things about this forum is that it is a great place to get information and ask questions. It is also a place to vent your frustrations about suppliers and hardware of software but mostly it is a great place to learn. We have all gone to forums with the infighting and B—ch—g gets so bad the forum is useless. People insulting others and name calling. This forum hasn’t been like that and I think that is why it is one of the best around.

Let’s keep it that way!

TheBeagle March 15, 2010 at 5:54 pm

@ Mr. Eidos ~ I agree with your comments. I have NOT made any insulting comments about any other forum MEMBER. And it was never my intention to do so. However, as can be seen by the total lack of respect shown by HP toward its paying customers regarding this 3.0 software upgrade fiasco, this situation appears to me to be a indicator of HP’s true commitment to its loyal customers.

Obviously, anyone who has placed an order for the 3.0 software upgrade is an existing customer of HP. It is about that commitment toward existing customers that I write. I own a HP ex485 WHS unit. I am reasonably happy with that purchase. I would like to increase its functionality and performance – thus the purchase of the 3.0 software.

I closely followed the commentary and review articles on this very forum as a prelude to ordering that 3.0 software upgrade. I certainly realize that a software purchase of slightly less than $30.00 USD is not much money to some folks. But that’s not the point of all my comments.

My thirty bucks might seem insignificant to others, but it’s MY thirty bucks. And so far, HP doesn’t seem to give a damn about it. I was raised to understand that if you made a contract with someone, then you were duty bound to deliver what you promised. And, if someone paid you money or money’s worth, and you failed to deliver your end of the bargain, then you have stolen that other person’s money. Plain and simple.

I realize that it might be viewed as “politically incorrect” to bluntly state that someone sole from you and they are therefore a thief. But maybe that’s what’s wrong in the USA and the world today – we have gotten away from our basic moral and ethical tenets. We seem to want to make excuses for everything.

I sincerely offer my apologies to anyone who has been offended by my blunt postings. But I felt that no one was listening at HP or even gave a damn. So I spoke out on this well-known and well-respected forum which is associated with HP products in hopes that others might take caution. Indeed, it was the articles and reviews on this very forum that persuaded me to purchase that 3.0 software upgrade.

Perhaps speaking forthrightly and with vigor is not welcomed or appreciated here. I surely hope that is not the case. If the consuming public will accept whatever the corporate entities are going to dole out, then I suppose we deserve what we get in such a situation. Have a nice evening. TheBeagle

Alex Kuretz March 15, 2010 at 5:59 pm

To the contrary, as I mentioned above, speak your mind but do so in a respectful manner.

You’re taking the slow response of a huge multinational corporation way too personally when you state “total lack of respect shown by HP toward its paying customers”. If you are this incensed about the situation it would seem that getting a refund from HP would be your better course of action.

Rivercat March 17, 2010 at 9:54 am

I sent an email to “the CEO” via a link on their Contact Us section. I praised the product and then expressed my displeasure about the customer support system and the resulting non-answer to my inquiry.
Today I received a phone call from an HP manager, he issued me a new service order number and a direct contact phone number, then said that he would be escalating the issue to higher levels to find out when the product would be ready to ship, why it’s taking so long, and why no one seems to already know the answer. Kudos to HP so far!

YukonGuy March 17, 2010 at 10:38 am

I’m now have a third (March 2, March 16 and now March 30.) delivery date for the 3.0 software upgrade. I have chosen to complain to HP and NOT the users of this website. HP has not dealt with this issue well.
I use HP product and I like the way they work. This have been a real eye opener for me. Like many, I’m not happy.
Regards,

Kel

ThreeOneSix March 18, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Can anyone provide a direct link for an order form for the 3.0 software for EX470 owners? I’ve searched all over hp.com and can’t find it. TIA

Rob March 18, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Well, mine arrived to UK address last week, just 4 days after ordering (from HP Partner Best2serve) – would I be right in saying the delay seems to be only on the other side of the Atlantic and where orders are being dealt with directly by HP?

Comp1962 March 18, 2010 at 6:07 pm

@ ThreeOneSix,

The reason you can’t find it is because its not listed under Server 2003 rather under every other OS you see when you first enter the EX470 downloads area where it asks you which Operating System. Here is one of the Links below:

When you place your order expect a long lead time they are not shipping the update as fast as most would like. They are having issues with their supplier getting the Discs Produced. Atleast thats what others are indicating in their blog post.

David March 18, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I have an order in for an EX470 upgrade for delivery in Canada. At first it was scheduled for an early March delivery. They called and said it would be March 18 and then today, I had a call and they said it would be the end of March.
It sounds like the Europeans are getting their deliveries and we in North America aren’t. The reason given was a “supply problem”.

Jeff March 18, 2010 at 8:02 pm

I am in Canada like David but I have not even had the courtesay from HP to tell me anything. I realize there have been many many comments about HP service on this – but it does make one wonder about whether it is worth staying with HP

Jason March 19, 2010 at 6:07 am

Like David and Jeff I am also a Canadian customer who has ordered the 3.0 Software upgrade for my EX485. I have two Macs and was looking forward to the additional functionality. I realize that HP could have simply excluded all previous models from the new software and were nice enough to allow all of us who were earlier adopters to enjoy it’s additional functionality. This being the case, I have to say I am very disappointed in the way HP have handled themselves. I ordered the upgrade as soon as it was possible on their site (probably within hrs/mins of the link being available). They advertised 1-3 delivery and charged me $64.16 for what I thought would be a $25 upgrade. I thought twice, but thought it might be worth it anyways. I could go through the subsequent changes in the delivery dates (3 of them) and detail the calls that I had (I got two) from HP, but in the end I am still waiting for a few discs to arrive that will not arrive until April 1st at the earliest because they are backordered. How a set of DVDs can be backordered for 6 weeks is beyond me. I can burn three DVDs in under an hour at home. I mean it can’t be a supply issue, DVDs are in abundance. If they did not have stock before they started taking orders which really has to be the case, why didn’t they just delay the release? (They had already done that in December) I would have been much happier to wait for a release date where they actually had stock and I only had to wait 1-3 days for it to ship rather than being led on every two weeks. BTW the people who call know nothing and reply to all of your questions with “I am just calling to let you know that you will not be receiving your order.”

This has been a frustrating and disappointing experience with HP!

Gary March 19, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Just got an email that my disks shipped today. I ordered the ex470 upgrade as soon as the link was active. Long wait and of course I am going on vacation tomorrow for a week so I will have to wait to install it until the following week.

Daniel Baird March 19, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I too got the email…

Going to get the disks right in time to move households…
Won’t be getting to the upgrade for a while…

Eidos March 19, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I just got the same e-mail that mine will ship today or has already shipped. I also ordered on the first day within hours of the site opening.

andrej770 March 19, 2010 at 4:59 pm

“I sincerely resent the omnipotent corporate attitude that seems to pervade many international entities with a sort of persona that we mere mortals should be grateful that they (the corporations) are in business and willing to sell us products. That same type of attitude is part of what got Enron, AIG, and many others in serious difficulties in recent years.”

This is just my opinion, agreement is NOT required! What A Crock! I have never seen people take “business” this personal. You might as well include all companies in that statement. For cryin out loud, yeah its YOUR $30, but if you don’t want to deal with corporate BS, don’t buy their products. They don’t make these products cause they like you or even appreciate you. They make them to make a profit. They don’t know your name and don’t care to. 99% of capitalistic companies around the world are the same. Live with it. All this whining is killing me. We are not talking about World Peace. HP could have left all of us high and dry without an update at all, like Microsoft is doing XP customers (when wanting to upgrade to Win 7). Such is life in the tech world. Get a grip and stop yer whining. Write your congressman about your issue with corporations, we can’t do anything about it here on THIS forum. Where are we on twitter or something. Kill the noise!

Whew! I just had to get that off my chest! These wimpy whiners are irritating! If any of you sensitive types is offended….cough…I’m sorry!

Comp1962 March 20, 2010 at 8:44 am

Received an email yesterday (3/19) that my upgrade discs has shippped but nothing about when they will arrive so I expect them by the 26th at the latest.

Jeff March 20, 2010 at 9:09 am

I also received an email that told me they had shipped on the 20th but the expected arrival was the 1st of April – so much for expedited services

Daniel Baird March 21, 2010 at 6:09 am

well, the good new is that they finally shipped!
now it’s up to the trusty USPS to get it to me safely.

I live in Chicago… our USPS isn’t exactly the most ethical bunch… HA!

Comp1962 March 21, 2010 at 10:46 am

@ Daniel Baird ~ Do you mean your Mailman has an older MSS and would latch onto your discs so he could get the 3.0 sooner?

Rob Grady March 22, 2010 at 10:09 am

Just got mine via FedEx

eidos March 22, 2010 at 10:58 am

Mine arrived this morning in the US mail.

Kendal March 22, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I got my disk as well!!! Still upset with how this release went..

WTF March 22, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Got my disks today. It appears they are labeled wrong. The Server Recovery disc is actually the PC Recover bootable disc and The PC Recover disc is actually the Server Recovery Disc. HP really needs to get there S**T together.

Rob Grady March 22, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Yeah, my disks were labeled incorrectly as well. Oh well. I am actually going to do a clean install on mine.

Eidos March 22, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I had the same issue, the disks are labled funny.

jon March 22, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Just got mine and checked after reading these posts. My too are labeled wrong. I have the Ex470 set. After waiting almost a month after the order and they label them wrong. Crazy.

Alex Kuretz March 22, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Thanks for all these reports, I’ve passed the info along to HP and they have indicated they will look into the problem and attempt to fix it.

Alex Kuretz March 22, 2010 at 3:50 pm

HP has indicated that they are aware of the problem, have reported it to the duplication company, and will be fixing the problem for additional production runs.

Comp1962 March 22, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I got my discs today and yes they are labeled wrong but no big deal. I will make new discs with the proper labels so I do not confuse them in future.

Adam March 22, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Seems to be an US problem. Mine which i’ve got 2 weeks ago from holland are labelled correctly. And the the new software is running really good on the “old” ex470. Really satisfied with the update. Had some heavy CPU load in the first 4days when twinky was indexing my music.

David March 23, 2010 at 9:45 pm

I did the upgrade on my Ex470 (with 2G RAM) and after some brief glitches all is well. Except, I get a “runtime error” when I try to run the Photo Viewer. Has anyone else had this problem or is there a way to fix it?
Thanks

Alex Kuretz March 23, 2010 at 10:50 pm

@David – I think this forum topic should help you.

Eric March 24, 2010 at 12:16 am

I have been to HP web site and could not find where you order the disks for am EX475. Any ideas? All I could find are 2 download files that appear to be patches.
Thanks

david5121 March 24, 2010 at 9:57 am
Chris March 24, 2010 at 11:51 am

shipping US & Canada only? why can’t I download it?
do they want this put onto BITorent or something?

Brovig March 24, 2010 at 12:00 pm

@Chris – With a FedEx shipping option for a total charge of $65 as the only option available to Canadians, I think they really do want us to share this on BITorrent! ;-)

Chris March 24, 2010 at 2:06 pm

@Brovig – I’ve emailed the HP CEO about it, again.

To be fair, last time I got a quick and encouraging response, albeit it took them several months testing to get this far :)

Chris March 24, 2010 at 2:10 pm

UK people. I just noticed, click the ‘All Regions’ and follow the path to this;

the url looks dodgy but that was an HP redirect.

£10 only too, in your face Canadians ;)

Rob March 26, 2010 at 10:21 am

Mine is all installed – did a factory reset for various reasons – running really well on EX475. One problem only: Console persists in saying Remote Access is not available and offers to repair, but it DOES work, and fine.
The Windows Live domain name – accessed by the Details button – sees that all is well, so why doesn’t the main console?

Wilson March 29, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Are there only 2 disc to this upgrade? Server and Client PC only. No software installation as indicated in some article I read.

Benoit Miller March 30, 2010 at 7:33 pm

@Wilson, what more do you need :) One disc to upgrade your server, one to restore your PCs from a backup with the upgraded server. Once the installation is finished, you will likely have to upgrade the Connector software you already have…

I don’t have my discs yet, so this is an educated guess based on every other upgrade we’ve had to do so far. I don’t expect surprises :)

Marsha March 30, 2010 at 8:59 pm

So, do I have this right?

HP (as any other vendor) needs to supply fixes for it’s software. For some strange reason it makes things worse by imbedding someone elses software (Twonky) into it’s release (instead of an add-on) and then can’t get the fixed version out to it’s customers?

Great!

Comp1962 March 30, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Marsha you can get Twonky outside of HP but you will have to purchase it. All HP has done is incorperate it into their software and all problems aside its free to use. Alex has done a great job finding fixes for Twonky one of them created by HP which is simple the other due to a problem with that version of Twonky which was fixed in a newer version yet to be released by HP for distribution in their software.

Jeff April 1, 2010 at 9:41 am

I know this may be flogging a dead horse and I know I should go over to the forum but I just found out after doing the upgrade that may website That was previously working no longer works the way it was supposed to work prior. I am using TZO and I was going to port 8080 with SSL. After the upgrade this no longer works. The folks at TZO have told me that for remote access – I need 443 which is blocked by my ISP. TZO says both they and HP are aware of the issue BUT TZO folks said they do not expect a solution anytime soon. I am on a 470 box and now consider the 3.0 version almost as a downgrade. I am running php and hmailserver and Have to reinstall those with my settings but now I think why bother if I cannot even get the website to wort

Alex Kuretz April 1, 2010 at 9:47 am

@Jeff – Sorry to hear of your troubles. I’m not aware of any changes that would cause what you are experiencing, the underlying Windows Home Server OS is the same, and that is what manages IIS. You should be able to reconfigure the IIS ports to get SSL running on a different port if you need to.

David April 1, 2010 at 9:55 am

I too have an EX 470. If I recall, I had to make a change within WHS to get the Web functions to work when ports 80 and 443 were forwarded. My ISP blocks both ports and I am using TZO.
Since upgrading, I haven’t had a chance to make these same changes to get the web functions to work. I am assuming I have to do the same change since the OS code has been replaced.
In future releases, it would be nice if port forwarding in the WHS was a simple table change the way it is in some other software I have.

Jeff April 1, 2010 at 10:05 am

What did yo do David – TZO tells me it has to be 443

David April 1, 2010 at 10:22 am

Jeoff,
Here is the link to the process that I followed.
I’d be interested if others have also done this code modification when they forward their ports?

jeff April 1, 2010 at 11:00 am

That is what I did originally Dave – it does not work in 3.0

Alex Kuretz April 1, 2010 at 11:02 am

What “doesn’t work”? Are you getting an error message? What functionality breaks when you change it? Did you see my follow-up to your forums post?

Jeff April 1, 2010 at 11:33 am

Sorry Alex what I meant was that, the way it work before the upgrade no longer works before I could just type http://galien.ca and TZO would take me to my website. Now I have to type https://galien.ca:8080 and as you suggested edit my links. I am beyond a novice but not an expert and I was hoping the upgrade would not make me have to do a lot of additional wortk
Interestingly I am sorry but when I saw Dave’s post I jumped to the conclusions that it was the same as I had done before – it was not and I will try the tutorial and see if I have some success but clearly in discussions with TZO something has changed

Magrart April 5, 2010 at 10:05 am

Hi Alex,
Sorry to bother you but I cant find the form to order the DVD to upgrade.

I just found two upgrades:

Update Date Version Previous Size
» Update for HP MediaSmart Server / Data Vault (version 3.3)
03-2010 3.3.1.35433 - 4.14M
» Update for HP MediaSmart Server / Data Vault 3.0
03-2010 3.2.1.34990 - 36.65M

Are those two the upgrade?

Thanks

Magrart

Alex Kuretz April 5, 2010 at 10:09 am

Look under one of the Client OS versions like XP or Vista, you’ll find the 3.0 upgrade order link there.

Norman Brown April 11, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I did the upgrade for my EX470 and now I am having an sluggish issue with the console software. It can take about a minute for the application to open fully and the same issue if a click on any of the programs. I have 2GB of memory so I don’t know what else to look for. Can anyone help?

Comp1962 April 11, 2010 at 10:13 pm

@ Norman Brown ~ There could be any number of things causing your issue and I would be more then happy to help you out. Because this may take several posts to work out could you kindly post your help request in the forums and we can work on your issue there. If you turned on all the media functions then it can take sometime for your server to settle down. Just one thing to look at.

Kevin Walsh May 23, 2010 at 11:17 am

Got the the new server software 3.0 on my 475 installed and then it asked to do updates and I’ve been stuck on “Installing Updates on your home server …..2%) for over 10 mins. now? Is this right? How long should I wait to assume it’s hung? How do I get out of it?

Dave November 3, 2010 at 7:38 pm

I’ve searched HP’s site like crazy and cannot find a place to order the DVD.
I remember seeing the link a few months back, but now it’s no where. Help. Thanks.

Comp1962 November 3, 2010 at 11:24 pm

@ Dave ~ when you search for the UP Grade and the HP Site asks you which OS just select one of the Windows OS and it will bring you to where you need to be. I know its weird but thats the way its been since the 3.0 first was made available and to my knowlege its still that way as HP has never made an attempt to correct it. If you can not find it then please write back with your server model and I will be happy to send you the right link to get the software ordered.

Dave November 4, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I have the EX475. I used this link http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=3548164&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us and tried each Operating system option but no success. On the right hand side of the page when you follow the above link, it has a help article relating to Version 3.0, just no info on obtaining it. Thanks for the quick reply.

Comp1962 November 4, 2010 at 10:48 pm

@ Dave I just took a look on the HP Site and its different then before and I did bounce around all the options. I suggest you give HP Support a call and see if you can order the upgrade from them. Just let them know that its no longer available on the site or maybe ask them if then can provide you with a link so that you can order the upgrade discs. I know when I ordered my discs its was not exactly easy to find them but I described how I and others found them.

Kyle November 8, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Does anyone know where I can buy a 3.0 upgrade DVD?? I went to HP but they told me they discontinued selling this update and it was for a short period of time… So I’m stuck with my v. 1 on my EX470

Steve November 11, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I just spoke to the HP Media Media Smart support and they told me it is no longer for sale. I can’t believe it. They stopped selling it 11/1.

He did tell me he didn’t think the discs had serial numbers (I forget the terminology he used) and that if I found someone with the discs I could re-use there disks. Does anybody here want to sell me their discs? Please. Really big please!

Comp1962 November 11, 2010 at 5:37 pm

@ Steve ~ Not certain if you know this but the Discs are server specific in that the EX47x has its own set of Discs and the EX48x has its own set. The difference in the disks reflects the differences in the hardware between the two series of servers.

While I have not been on eBay in quite some time I did see in the past where people were selling off their disks and so it may be a good place to look.

Steve November 11, 2010 at 7:16 pm

I checked ebay and didn’t find anything. I have the EX470. Do you have the discs for the 470 that I could purchase from you?

Kyle November 14, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Steve I went to http://www.usenet.nl to pick up the ex47x v3 upgrade. I only spent a euro to use it and I cancelled my account after I downloaded it. I just installed it on my WHS ex470 and I didn’t have any problems at all.

Dave November 11, 2010 at 7:47 pm

@ Comp1962 ~ A buddy of mine has the 3.0 discs for his EX490, are we certain I can’t use those on my EX475? No one has the discs they could share the ISO’s through skydrive or FTP?

Alex Kuretz November 11, 2010 at 8:02 pm

You can’t use the EX49x disks with the EX47x, the drivers are completely different as is the product activation codes embedded into the OS image. It is not legal to distribute electronic copies of the disks as it violates Microsoft licensing.

Dave November 11, 2010 at 8:10 pm

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of HP’s software and forgot about the fact that the Home Server OS is on the discs as well. My bad.

Kyle November 11, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Well like no one never distributes electronic copies of any type of software at all…

Kyle November 14, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Dave I was able to find the Upgrade on http://www.usenet.nl
I spent 1 euro to download the ex47x series v3 upgrade

AW August 18, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Kyle… I tried to download the file from usenet and it told me that several of the compressions were incomplete and therefore it won’t properly decompress. Any tips? But I did find it on usenet!

AW August 18, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Though, it was the EX48x series update, not the 47x.

Alex Kuretz August 18, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Note that the two versions are not interchangeable, you need the version of disks specific to your hardware.

Kyle August 18, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Sorry, I just downloaded the 47x series. It sounds like some of the files are either corrupt or deleted. I would try downloading again.

josh February 10, 2011 at 6:43 pm

this is jacked! I can’t get a new version!? What is wrong with HP!?

Greg B September 9, 2011 at 8:53 pm

So does anyone know where I can get the v3.0 upgrade discs for my EX485? Does anyone have them and are willing to burn a copy (Since HP Obviously is no longer offering/supporting it)?

Matt Wilmoth November 6, 2011 at 5:32 am

I’m Looking for the same thing

myangeldust December 21, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I have a EX470 running Power Pack 3 with no RAM upgrades. I was thinking of using it for Remote Access and hosting a small website. Is 3.0 worth installing?

Alex Kuretz December 21, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I believe HP is no longer making the 3.0 update available, and with stock RAM it will run pretty slowly. Also, there’s nothing in the 3.0 update that will make it better for Remote Access or hosting a website, you can do all that with your current software.

Benoit Miller December 21, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Guys, please stop posting here, use the forums! You’ll reach people with answers instead of people with questions :) They are a nice friendly bunch.

That being said: do yourself a favor, spend the $20 (or less!) and upgrade the RAM right now. I don’t know how bad 3.0 is with only 512MB (I have 2GB).

{ 1 trackback }