EyeconTroller Coming To Popcorn Hour Media Players

by Damian on February 8, 2010 · 25 comments

I just received an email a few minutes ago regarding a partnership between Eyecon and Popcorn Hour(actually thought it was spam but just verified it is in fact legit). Here is an excerpt:

“Eyecon is partnering with PCH to introduce EyeconTroller for Popcorn Hour media players. EyeconTroller provides mobile control of your personal media experience.

· Search for and preview content on your iPhone, iPod Touch or netbook.
· Create multisource, multimedia playlists.
· Use your iPhone as an integrated remote for A-100, A-110 and C-200 media players – control volume, mute, play-pause-stop stream.

Important Note: Along with EyeconTroller, users are required to download EyeconManager, a free software module for their networked PC or Mac.

· EyeconManager aggregates content from multiple media servers (DMSs) in the home as well as external content sources including YouTube, MetaCafe, Picassa and others. Go to EyeconManager – PC/Mac SW http://www.eyecontec.com/go/web/desktop-04-main-download-page.php

Quick Start Guide…http://www.eyecontec.com/content/quick-start-guide

Certified DMS’s Include:

· Twonky
· Windows Media Player 11 & 12
· Mediabolic
· iTunes

Future Plans

Eyecon will introduce multiple enhancements in Q1 to its portable interface for Popcorn Hour media players including;

· Additional external content sources
· EyeconTroller for Android
· Facebook integration for sharing playlists

To be honest I have never heard about this company. From looking briefly through the Quick Start guide it mentions that the EyeconManager should be installed on a device that is always “ON” such as a NAS device or PC, so I am going to go with the assumption that this can be installed on WHS. If I have some time I may give this a try, particularly to see how well my iPod Touch intergrates as a remote for my PCH C-200. If anyone else has used Eyecon’s products or is willing to test this out, please leave some comments with your thoughts.

Comp1962 February 8, 2010 at 10:22 am

Interesting indeed. However I can already stream movies to my cell phone through ORB which connects direct to my server.

I am however curious about this method of streaming. Is it limited to the iPhone which I do not have. I use a Windows mobile smartphone but also have a netbook which duel boots XP Home and XP Pro. The Home is for my personal stuff and Pro is only used to run Rockwell Automation Software which is another topic all together.

So I am very interested in remote streaming an how well it works using the configuration your mentioning vs ORB which is working now.

Damian February 8, 2010 at 10:44 am

From what I can tell, it appears you can use any PC as long as you install the Eyecon software, so it is not specifically an iPod/iPhone product. From the mobile phone standpoint, I think only the iPhone is supported as I don’t see any reference to Windows Mobile or Android. I would expect that this would change over time. Hopefully some readers have heard of this product and can give some feedback. I might give it a testrun as well when I have some time. Remote streaming hasn’t really interested me much so really haven’t looked in to closely.

Johnny February 8, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Hi Damian and comp1962 –
Eyecon works with WHS. Your iPod Touch/iPhone will serve as a fantastic remote for your PCH C-200 (make sure you have the latest firmware: 02-01-091113-19-POP-408-000), but Eyecon is much more than a remote.
Eyecon (whether used from iPhone, netbook, notebook, etc.) lets you search ALL your media (home based or web based), preview it, and create multi-media multi-source playlists. But unlike ORB, you can PLAY YOUR MEDIA ON ANY NETWORKED DEVICE, i.e. PCH, WDTVlive, Squeezebox, etc., using just your mobile device. Kind of an important difference.
There is an Android app in the works.
I’d be very interested if you tried it out and let me know what you think.
The PC/Mac software is (free) at http://www.eyecontec.com and the iPod/iPhone app is under EyeconTroller at the Apple app store (also free for a limited time.)

Johnny February 8, 2010 at 8:12 pm

By the way –
I’ll amend one comment I made, Eyecon will search most of your home media libraries, but of course not ALL – there are certain library types and media servers that we’re still working on.
And Eyecon will play media on most UPnP or DLNA devices connected to the network, but once again of course not ANY device.

Comp1962 February 8, 2010 at 9:54 pm

@ Johnny. Thats good to hear. I will keep an eye on this and in time I know Damian will run it through its course and write about. From there if my interest is still there then I will contemplate purchasing a unit for the house.

Comp1962 February 9, 2010 at 12:34 am

I looked at the eyecontec web site. Looks very interesting as a matter of fact my eyes just popped out of my head and it blew my mind at the possibilities. Right now I have too many projects to get done but if I have time this weekend I think I am going to give it a shot but before I do I will have to visit the forums on that site to see what people are writing and maybe get abit more educated. Hey the demo video had a Red Sox game on with the Sox leading the Yankees now they got taste but then I am origionally from Massachusetts so I just happend to notice it more not that it has anything to do with this thread.

Johnny February 10, 2010 at 5:21 pm

@ Comp1962. I’m glad you like the idea! If you get a chance to try it out this weekend let me know what your take is. I’m still waiting for Damian to submit his review as well.
Yeah I noticed the Red Sox game too, somebody on that committee had the right idea.

Comp1962 February 11, 2010 at 12:35 am

@ Johnny I hope to dedicate sometime to installing the software this weekend. I mean I was impressed with the presentation. This weekend I will be setting up a small 1U server to test the movie streams to see what improvement I will obtain over a very much over burdend EX470. If that unit does not arrive this week then I will definately have time to dedicate to the software installation. I am just going in too many directions right now but I know if Damian installs it he will write a very honest review.

Comp1962 February 15, 2010 at 11:37 am

Has anyone tried installing the eycontrol software yet? I am dying to do it but right now I am working on an HP Proliant Server here at the house, I got it running but damned if I know which PCI or PCI-X Card to use to properly work with my portmultiplier cards. After I resolve that issue I will install the eycontrol software on the Proliant to see how it works. Sorry if I got off topic abit but its been one of those weekends….

Comp1962 February 26, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Just an update. I have installed this on my EX470 but am clueless as to what it really does or how access it. I guess I will have to install it also on my cell phone, then on a client and see. Right now the EX470 is about to become somewhat of a redundant storage server but I for one would like to see what this Eyecontroller actually can do for me.

What I do not know as of yet is how do you controll who has access to it as its not abundantly clear how this is configured. So this weekend it will be make or break for this because I really need to determine if it will be installed on the new server or not before I move my domain over to it and let it function as my primary server.

Has anyone played with it yet? I have only installed it and looked at it from the server side not the client side yet and am somewhat confused as to how to control access to my server as I do not desire it to be wide open for the world to access my media content.

Damian February 26, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I am really hoping this weekend I can start testing out. Between the bad weather in the Northeast, work, and the crazy kids running around my house I have been snowed under (literally)!!!

raviv February 26, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Hi

Let us know how this is working for you. After installing the EyeconManager on a PC or Mac, it should aggregate and index metadata from the various SUPPORTED media servers in your home. it will allow you to search over multiple media servers and integrated internet sources such as youtube and metacafe. the UI (on the PC/Mac or iPhone/iTouch) will also allow you to preview content and control playback over supported DMAs such as the PCH devices.

we would appreciate any feedback on what you liked and any issues you may have. this will help us to improve the product.

thx

Comp1962 February 26, 2010 at 6:50 pm

@ Damian ~ I am originally from MA and now I am stuck in GA but I miss the snow. I found out today that our NJ Facility is burried in the snow causing delays in getting my facility restocked. Guess its time to dig out the beach toys an see if your kids will help ya out but making snow castles instead of sand castles. Anyway I am going to try to dedicate sometime to better understand the eyecontroller but as I mentioned before I have it on the EX470 but from the server end I do not see how to control access and it appears wide open at the moment. If its indeed wide open and I can not control access then it will be removed but I have to get it installed on a client to see.

Comp1962 February 27, 2010 at 4:34 am

I spent a couple hours playing with Eyecontroller and I wish I could put a more positive spin on the software but it pegged my CPU on my desktop and I could not find any way to control my content other then opening it up wide which is not what I desire to do. This would be fine on your intranet but not the case if you want to provide access to it online. For the time being I have removed the software from my desktop and server.

Maybe someone else can figure it out but for now I will just take a back seat until I can be shown how to control access by others to my content.

Johnny March 1, 2010 at 1:14 pm

@ comp1962:
The server is fully compatible with the EX470. If I understand correctly, it’s possible you have received the wrong impression about the service – at this point Eyecon does not expose any content outside your wifi/wired network, the idea is not to provide access to it online. The only access to your media is whoever has access to your network.
Once you’ve installed the server on you EX470, install the client (EyeconTroller is the UI, EyeconTunes if you’re running an iTunes library). Using the UI (on your PC/Mac or on your iPhone) you’ll be able to recognize various supported media libraries (on PC’s or on media servers), search through them all simultaneously, and play them directly to a networked device (example: Damian’s Popcorn Hour C-200).
You’re welcome to try again, and feel free to write to support@eyecontechnologies.com

Comp1962 March 1, 2010 at 3:59 pm

@ Johnny,

Thanks for clearing that up! I really did not want to appear negative but I guess I made an assumption about the software that it could stream online and thats what my entire point was regarding. Since the software is really only for someones local intranet then its not a problem.

My interst is really to stream my content on the interent which I am already doing quite well on my new server. While I do have a wide screen HD TV and the surround system I only use it when people are visiting or on rare occasions. When I do watch movies I use my desktop which has a real nice 24″ 1080p monitor.

Johnny March 2, 2010 at 7:41 pm

By the way, this might help clear up what EyeconTroller is to be used for…
The ‘New User’ clip and ‘Playing Media on your Devices’ should help.

Nick July 31, 2010 at 10:19 pm

OK, just installed eyecon on my WHS and DROID… first impression so far is WOW!
- To be honest, there are some problems (like I can’t find any local media from my WHS) but the capability is very, very nice.
- I have a PCH A-110 in the bedroom that I haven’t had much luck with and a mac running Plex (XBMC based media center) in the living room and I was successfully able to search the available internet sources (youtube, picasa, flickr, etc) and push to both my Plex and PCH and swap between the two. Pretty cool.
- Despite not finding my media from my WHS, I WAS able to grab the same movie once it was exposed by the Plex web-server. And from there I was able to push all of my content to the PCH, or use my DROID to load new content on the Plex.
- Definitely needs some bugs worked out, but if this company hangs around, I think we should expect to see some interesting stuff coming our way!

Johnny August 1, 2010 at 4:23 am

Thanks for the update Nick!
Eyecon has seen a major overhaul in the way the app works and I highly recommend trying out the new cloud version for Android, even those who have tried the earlier versions. No type of PC download is now necessary and there are other drastic improvements… @ Damian and Comp1962? I’d love to hear what you have to say…
Johnny

Comp1962 August 1, 2010 at 10:02 am

@ Johnny ~ I tried Eycon on my HTC EVO Android phone and there appears to be a compatability issue at the time I tried it with not being able to find I believe it said the media server or something to that effect. I did have the software installed on my Server and it was running at the time I last tested it it which was back in June when the EVO Phone first came out.

Johnny August 2, 2010 at 7:28 am

@ Comp1962 ~ thanks for taking the time to check out the product! I do appreciate that the last thing you have time for is testing out random Android-media apps.
Still, If you do still have that HTC EVO Android I suggest you try the newest (and complete) version that was recently released (July 15th) – the beauty is that with the new release you DON’T NEED any software installation outside your Android app, so there should be no more of those server-compatibility complications. If you feel like it and have the time, I think you would find this a somewhat more enjoyable experience than your previous ones… Just search for EyeconTroller on the Android Market.
I await your comments…

Comp1962 August 2, 2010 at 6:30 pm

@ Johnny ~ I will look for the newer version of the Android App. Actually I logged onto the Eycontroller Web Site and it lists the Android App as comming soon. I will check the Market Place to see if the new app is there but soon after I installed it on my HTC EVO it did update the application. Can you tell me what version the app is for th Android?

Comp1962 August 2, 2010 at 11:08 pm

I downloaded the updated software it cost $1 but this time it works and one thing I like is it requires no EyconManager to be running on a computer or the server so there is one less application to run. I did fumble with it abit and probably will for a while but it does work. I will run it through its course over the next few weeks. I have to still read through the full documentation to fully understand it but for now it works so now I get to play with it.

Nick August 3, 2010 at 3:51 am

Yes, the new android apparently works…however, it sure would be nice if the manager worked as well. Mainly because I sure would like to be able to search my local media. I can only see the media exposed by my XBMC media center through it’s internal web-server, and even that is limited because I can’t search, or get real time previews. No one is going to scroll through 100 screens of 5 movies at a time to get to a specific movie. If eyecon can get the bugs worked out of its backend we will have a winning combo! Until then, its a neat novelty. My 2 cents.

Johnny August 3, 2010 at 6:20 am

@ Comp1962 – I’m glad you’re enjoying the app, let me know how the tinkering goes. We’re working on newer/better documentation and clips more suited to the new version.
@ Nick – Thanks for your opinion. The new version acts as a server and does all the indexing as well as browsing of libraries. I’m not sure why you’re unable to search your local media; I suggest you contact our support at support@eyecontechnologies.com. We do plan to release optional software modules that would take some of the workload off the app.