MakeMKV 1.4.12 Released – Pay Model On The Way

by Damian on February 3, 2010 · 58 comments

About a month ago MakeMKV released version 1.4.10 which finally brought HD audio into the mix. For those who don’t know, MakeMKV is a great little program that will decrypt your DVD (no additional software such as AnyDVD is required), allow you to pick and choose what parts of the DVD you want to keep, and put into an mkv. It has been freeware, with the expectation that at some point it would move to a paid model. Yesterday, version 1.4.12 was released, and one key new feature that was added was the ability of MakeMKV to detect and save forced subs. The best way to describe forced subs is when you are watching a movie that is primarily in one language, but there are a few scenes where a different language is spoken. For these scenes subtitles will appear which are considered forced subtitles. To add to the confusion, some movies have these forced subs burned in (so the forced subs are actually part of the video file itself), where other movies don’t. If the forced subs are not burned in, you need to grab the forced subs while ripping the disc, otherwise you will be left scratching your head when watching the movie.

This actually happened to me with District 9. The primary language is English, however there are scenes where the Aliens speak and subs are required to understand what they are saying. I had used MakeMKV version 1.4.10 to rip the Blu Ray disc to mkv and turned on my PCH C-200 to watch. Although I was enjoying the movie about half way through I was getting a little frustrated since I couldn’t understand what the Aliens were saying, I just assumed they were speaking with a heavy South African accent! It turned out District 9 has forced subs and they are not burned in. I ended up having to use a few different tools to get the forced subs, which although not difficult added more steps to the process. With the inclusion of forced subtitle support with MakeMKV, you can now do everything right from MakeMKV.

I decided to test out District 9 again using the latest MakeMKV release. As you can see from the screenshot below forced subtitles are detected which is great. The downside is that it is not clear which forced subtitle should be grabbed, so you need to do a little trial and error to figure out. I suggested on the MakeMKV forum that the track # should at least be listed next to each subtitle track. If you search around the web you can usually find information on which track # contains the correct subtitles which saves the hassle of having to do trial and error.

You can see from the MediaInfo screenshot below under Text #1 the forced subtitle I selected was added to the mkv created by MakeMKV. Now whether or not the PGS subtitles can be played back properly and on what players/software is for another discussion :-)

Let’s be honest though, as nice as having forced subtitles is, the main reason why you are reading this is because of a few words in the title, namely “Pay Model On The Way”. When I installed version 1.4.12 and ran MakeMKV, I noticed a popup stating that I had 30 days to evaluate MakeMKV. After the 30 days were up I would need to purchase an activation key.

I dug around the MakeMKV site and couldn’t find out any information on how much  the Activation Key would cost. I went over to the MakeMKV forum next and there was a post from a user stating that the Key would cost a one time fee of USD 50.00. Since the developer of MakeMKV responded to the user on the forum and did not dispute the USD 50.00 fee, I will assume it is in fact valid. So now the big question, is it worth it? I do really like MakeMKV, and in particular for the ease in which I can rip tv show box sets. However, I have already paid for an AnyDVD license, so that combined with various free software currently available (Clown_BD, MKVMerge, “Another eac3to GUI” of which I will be writing about very shortly, etc…) gets me the same result as with MakeMKV. So what do you guys think, are you still interested in MakeMKV? Is the one time fee too much (it is not clear if non USD consumers will have to pay based on an exchange rate)?

Seth February 3, 2010 at 9:29 am

$50 is likely a bit much considering it’s software that’s come late to the game and most people interested in doing what it does likely already have other software that they’ve paid for (like AnyDVD) that allows them to do the same thing with a few extra steps thrown in or maybe in conjunction with other software. Don’t be surprised if that price gets lowered after a short period.

Damian February 3, 2010 at 9:34 am

@ Seth,

Thanks for the comments, that is what I am thinking as well. Also, AnyDVD is still required if you want to do any sort of encoding or use some of the other programs out there. Some of the popular encoding programs out there like Handbrake and Ripbot264 require the dvd/blu ray to be unencrypted, which is where AnyDVD comes into play

Craig Roberts February 3, 2010 at 9:41 am

Damian,

As a fellow AnyDVD registered user, I would recommend using HandBrake to rip to MKV (H.264). HandBrake’s most recent release not only supports forced subtitles, but allows you to record the full subtitle track with the option to turn them on or off during playback – like with a regular DVD. This is important as I have a hearing impaired child. HandBrake has both built-in profiles for different devices/uses as well as the ability to create custom profiles. The resulting file quality, IMHO, is excellent. Therefore, my recommendation is to NOT pay another $50 for MakeMKV.

For others reading this post that do not want to pay for AnyDVD plus the Blu-Ray decryption add-on and only need to decrypt and transcode STANDARD (Not Blu-Ray) DVDs, please consider the free versions of DVD43 (http://www.dvd43.com/) or DVDfab (http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm).

Awake February 3, 2010 at 11:04 am

I tried the MKV format, and although it is nice, I have come to the conclusion that it is NOT the ideal format for an initial rip of a movie. MKV is becoming popular, but still unsupported in many ways. With MKV it is hard to figure out what you portions you need, subtitles are supported in some softwere and unsupported in other, you can regret your initial choices, etc.

My suggestion is to use a tool like DVDSmith, which is free, and which makes a copy of the full DVD onto your hard drive without the copy protection, in it’s original format. It may take a few GB extra, but with drives as cheap as they are these days it really doesn’t make that much difference. The resulting TS_VIDEO folder will play with all the menus operational, subtitles are not a problem, etc. You can use the new hard drive copy to make further ‘custom’ backups as needed, such as AVI or MKV. That way you can store the original DVD that you bought and paid for someplace safe, and watch the movie much more conveniently over your network or on your portable device.

Aside from that, $50 for MakeMKV is far too much, considering that it is not foolproof in understanding security schemes, and may require a DVD driver shim of some sort (DVD43) for some data before MakeMKV comes into play if a backup is to be made.

Jason February 3, 2010 at 11:13 am

I would have to agree. I like Make MKV for DVD rips, and for the simplicty of BD rips, but $50 is a bit high. I’d consider paying as much as $30 I suppose. But AnyDVD was super expensive in my opinon, but since I bought it already, I don’t want to blow another $50.

Furthermore, I have found that I am having problems with Make MKV when the Movie is using PCM audio. Not sure what the problem is, but Make MKV is never able to rip it in a way my PC can decode the audio. When I use Clown BD however, no problems.

Hopefully if it is a $50 price model, they can do promotional discounts (like Slysoft)… that might make others consider to jump on board, rather than jump ship.

Damian February 3, 2010 at 11:18 am

I think the biggest issue I have run into with mkvs is subtitle support, as it is still hit or miss what softwares support subtitles in mkvs. Otherwise, mkvs have bene rock solid for me on all the players I use (I don’t use portable players like the Ipod, etc… that may not support mkv). I think more important for me are Blu Rays. Even with HDDs getting much cheaper a full Blu Ray rip can take up to 40GB+ per movie. Depending on the movie using a program like MakeMKV or others can drop that down to anywhere from 15-50% the original size (especially for movies that have a lot of extras or two editions on the same disc).

I agree about your concerns with security schemes. AnyDVD has frequent updates to their software as new security enhancements come out. Given that MakeMKV is currently free I don’t have a problem if new dvds are not supported right away, but once I pay for it I would expect it to work the moment I purchase a disc.

mgannon February 3, 2010 at 1:19 pm

$50 is simply too much given the freeware that’s already out there, and AnyDVD that such a large number of people already run. There’s some decent functionality here, but easily replaceable for free (assuming a paid AnyDVD license).

Damian February 3, 2010 at 2:01 pm

@ Craig,

I prefer not to encode my Blu Rays anymore which is why I don’t use handbrake. I instead use AnyDVD + either Clown_BD or Another eac3to GUI.

However, for my tv show recordings or boxsets I am a big fan of handbrake. I use it all the time (I am using the latest SVN) and it works great

Damian February 3, 2010 at 2:06 pm

@ mgannon,

My guess the developers behind MakeMKV are looking at how much AnyDVD costs and figure that $50 is much cheaper then an AnyDVD license. In that regard they are correct. However, I would argue that many people who use MakeMKV currently already have an AnyDVD license, so paying an extra $50 for something you could easily do without MakeMKV doesn’t make a lot of sense. A big benefit of AnyDVD is that it can run in the background and encrypt, so you have a lot more flexability in what programs you can use to author your DVD/Blu Rays. With MakeMKV it is simply MakeMKV or nothing.

Also, keep in mind that there has been no official announcement of the cost, only a mention by a forum member that was never disputed. It could very easily be up for change based on community reaction, and for all I know maybe the forum member was put up to mentioning the cost to get feedback???

Comp1962 February 3, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I don’t have an issue with paying a fee to use software. What I have an issue is when you purchase software and it doesn’t work or when a software publisher doesn’t properly support their product. Now I simply love MAKEMKV its fast I have successfully ripped about 200 DVD’s since I recently started using it. There are 10 DVD’s that it could not rip causing the software to crash. I think the price of $50 is fair so long as it doesn’t expire which bothers me to no extent. If they release a new version an charge a fee for upgrade then fine but if the version I have is still working well for me then I see no reason to upgrade and I am happy.

What I would like to mention is there is a cost to software development, its not free to devolope and support so I have no objection for paying the fee to use a fine piece of sofware that has served me well.

If the people that develope makemkv announced they were going to discontinue developing their software I think people would come out and offer to pay a fee to keep it going. This happened to me when I was developing a hard drive multiplexer software integration for the old CNet128 BBS Software and I was close to getting it to work then I looked around the room at all the computers it took to run that BBS and said theres got to be a better way and so I scrapped to project, upgraded the software to run on an old Amiga 2000HD and had one computer answering 4 phone lines rather then 4 computers answering 4 phone lines. It was not long before my phone began to ring off the hook with people begging me to finish my work and offering to pay for my efforts. I simply said better to upgrade your computer and just simplify the task. Another story not really relivent here but you get the idea.

Damian February 4, 2010 at 5:25 am

@ Comp1962,

Thanks for the comments. I agree with you, and actually have no issue whatsoever in someone charging for software. I think many of us get spoiled by all the free software out there and forget that a lot of time and effort is put into it. Especially in the case of MakeMKV, where it has been clear all along t hat it would eventually move to a paid model.

I think the challenge and what many of us are debating (at least I know I am) is that I have already paid for an AnyDVD license, so right now I can do everything that MakeMKV can do with AnyDVD + Free software. I haven’t decided yet which way I am leaning towards

welchwerks February 4, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Hi Damian,

a little off topic or i missed it following most of your reviews and topics, but what would a guy use to moniter bitrate and confirm audio formats ect.

Damian February 4, 2010 at 7:46 pm

@ Welchwerks,

MediaInfo – http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download

Rhino February 15, 2010 at 9:54 am

I am new to this. Just got an A-110 and A-200 Popcornhour and have been using MakeMKV exclusively. I have tried other freeware stuff to convert to a format compatabile for PS3 and Xbox, but gave up on the excessive time required to rip or convert. On my new Sony I7 laptop, I ripped a 2 hour movie from MakeMKV in 14 minutes. I will gladly pay the $50!

Damian February 15, 2010 at 11:24 am

@ Rhino,

Just keep in mind that if you are looking to bitstream hd audio from the A-110, it needs to be in m2ts format. Obviously the A-200 cannot bitstream from standalone m2ts/mkv, but hopefully that will be fixed soon.

Mitch February 16, 2010 at 9:08 pm

From the perspective of a mac user with no other options to rip my Blu-Rays with I would gladly pay the $50.

Comp1962 February 17, 2010 at 12:51 am

Well I have around 500 movies to rip and store on my server. I am now closing in on the 400 mark. So far there have been only 13 movies that I have not been able to rip with this program. So far all the movies that I have fully tested with this program have played extremely well on my client computers, on the TV using a WDTV Live, online via ORB (Well sometimes the movies have issues but thats just internet connectivity and the server when it gets busy doing its thing)

Point being is this software works extremely well. I have yet to upgrade the software to the latest version I am still on v1.4.11 and when it stops working I will install the latest version but right now I am just hoping to finish ripping my movie collection so I can concentrate on other things.

What ever they charge this software is worth its weight in gold! It just works and hey my 13 discs that actually caused MakeMKV crash well by the time I am finished Ripping my collection I will upgrade the software and see if maybe the newer version will work and if not then I will drop them a nice note listing the movies that their software would not work on and maybe who knows it might just ripp them one day and all my movies will be MKV the format I have come to love so much although my wallet is in pain over the hard drives I have had to purchase but I have no regrets and now I have a 400 Disc DVD Player and a 400 Disc CD Player Collecting Dust and I have to blame Damian for showing me this program and motivating me to getting my movies on my server. So now I have to put a label on those 2 400 Disc Units saying “RETIRED BY ACT OF DAMIAN”

DamianP February 17, 2010 at 6:52 am

@ Mitch,

Excellent point regarding MAC users. The same also applies to Linux users I believe. It is definitely a great program and even though I have other programs I can use I will most like purchase a license for MakeMKV as well.

@ Comp1962 – glad I could retire your dvd collection :-)

Comp1962 February 17, 2010 at 7:28 am

@ Damian ~ No not the Collection but a Sony 400 Disc DVD Player also have a Sony 400 Disk CD Player which make real nice room ornimants these days.

Comp1962 February 26, 2010 at 10:11 am

@ Damian ~ of the 500 discs in my collection I have 27 that MakeMKV had issues with over the 3 beta versions I have installed and tried. After getting my collection done with exception to the 27 I installed the latest version and once again attempted to address the remaining 27 but got the same results. Failure (Sigh) I have nothing to really complain about but I certainly would like to have those 27 in MKV format so that all my movies and documentaries will be MKV. Actually I should say 26 because one did rip but the audio tracks are not right its the movie PASSION of CHRIST and I do not like the English Narritive over the Aramiac (Spelling) Language it normally plays in.

Some of the movies are Gettsburg, Stigmata, Three Kings, Click, Bedazzled and Mystic Pizza just to name a few. Since these proved to be problematic for me with MakeMKV do you have a suggestion of another program to use that might work? That I can try. I will pay for MakeMKV no problem I like that program very much. I like software which I can try with fully enabled function to evaluate before I buy as I am not adverse to purchasing my software but I do want to use something I can try first.

Just 27 more discs left to tackle then its on to Blue Ray Movies and if I get hooked on HD Audio I will be broke by years end fortunately I am tone death so for me just being able to still hear something makes me happy but then again I ripped all my movies with the subtitles removed. Hmmm better to learn to read lips soon huh……..

Damian February 26, 2010 at 10:26 am

@ Comp1962,

I have a handful of DVDs that don’t work with MakeMKV as well, so I just ripped as Video_TS using DVDFab and kept as is. You could try the same thing. I am not sure there is any other mkv program out there that will handle SD DVDs without encoding (possibly mkvmerge?).

It is addicting, right!!!

Comp1962 February 26, 2010 at 11:13 am

I already have some of them ripped as Video_TS from when I was first trying to determine which format to use. I really like MKV and I have also done some ISO conversions. The simplicity of having just one file to figure out makes life easier for those with little experience in playing movies but I have used the TS format in past but feel its too complicated for my future wife and I need my setup to be extremely wife friendly or she will yell at me in Chinese and I will only replay LOOK MADE IN CHINA WHAT MORE YOU WANT FROM ME.

Yes its addicting but my wallet is now takes advil for pain relief. I got a house full of computers and closets full of older components. People come to me with their computer issues and think I am some sort of God because I manage to salvage their computers using old components. I tell ya I put much more in here and I will need a sign on my door that says SANFORD and SON east coast division

Chris April 16, 2010 at 1:49 am

I have just downloaded the latest version of this and decided to rip a few Bly-ray isos I had that played perfectly on my PCH-C-200, the results have been really poor, most of them stutter and freeze during playback, all I have done is select the main movie and convert to mkv.

It’s not a bandwidth issue as the isos stream perfecy, any idea what might be causing this?

DamianP April 16, 2010 at 6:51 am

@ Chris,

That is odd, the mkvs I have play back fine. Have you tried playing the mkv on your PC to make sure there were no problems with the rip.

FredF May 23, 2010 at 9:14 am

I think $50 is way too much for software that’s not yet proven. I use anydvdhd exclusively and free tools to convert. It make take a few minutes longer but worth the savings…

Comp1962 May 23, 2010 at 11:15 am

@ FredF ~ Actually the software works extremely well and its fast! I have used other software that I bought and wasted my money on. makeMKV has worked great for me over over 500 movies I ran through the software I only had an issue with something like 20 movies. I have them off to the side because as they release new versions sometimes I can get one or two more to rip. I have only 1 Blu-Ray movie that I ran through makeMKV and it ripped it fine accept for the subtitles but that may have been something I did wrong – anyway I don’t need English Subtitles for the Chinese parts in 2012 because my fiance speaks perfect Chinese. Anyway the $50 is money well spent for the software. The time savings alone and the reliability of the rip makes it pay for itself. If your happy with another program and your more comfortable with it then great but this software is definately worth the money especailly since they continue to work on improving it and yet its already good. Most software companies do not put this effort into their software if they did then life would be better for everyone.

BDA123 June 30, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I have the same problem as Chris. For some reason the last couple of BD discs I have converted to .mkv studder during playback. I have owned AnyDVD HD for a long time and might think about paying for MakeMKV if it actually work flawlessly. I am running an Nvidia Ion HTPC using CoreAVC to give me GPU acceleration of the .mkv but I have only had a problem with Percy Jackson and Sherlock Holmes. GPU acceleration doesn’t allow for many errors in encoding that some people may experience and never see because they have high powered CPUs, but their computers use 150+ watts to run and mine never goes over 40 watts. It might be a problem with the latest BD+ encryption, but I think it is more of a problem with how MakeMKV deals with it. Any suggestions. I am going to try ClownBD (which I haven’t used in a while) to try encoding it again to see how it goes.

Damian July 1, 2010 at 8:06 am

@ BDA123,

Try using Another EAC3To GUI to create the mkv and see if you get the same problem. That will tell you if it is a MakeMKV issue:

BDA123 July 1, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Thanks for the advice. I tried Clown BD using the wiki at that same website. No more stuttering video. However I seem to have picked up an audio track that gives me the subtitles in a audio version. Basically a narrator. Never even heard it before. Kinda wierd to watch a movie and listen to the narrator describe what is taking place between dialog. Any ideas what I did wrong? Anyway, the problem had to be a MakeMKV problem since it works perfect now without studdering.

Damian July 2, 2010 at 5:53 am

@ BDA123,

So you have multiple audio tracks or you possibly just selected the wrong audio track? My guess it sounds like you grabbed the directors track by accident

BDA123 July 3, 2010 at 9:47 am

So I am tracking down the problem but am not there yet. I am pretty sure the problem has been the same for both Sherlock Holmes and Percy Jackson although Sherlock Holmes is VC-1 and Percy Jackson is H264. When run it through MakeMKV it stutter a lot and locks up while playing really slow. So I ran it through ClownBD (eac3to) and pulled the video, subtitles, and all the audio files. The audio files I get is one DTS file and four AC3 files (English, Spanish, French, and Portugese). So I first added the DTS file and AC3 file to the Video and Subtitles. The result was a perfectly playing video with the narrator. So I tried just the DTS file with the Video and Subtitles. It stutters. So I played each of the AC3 files in an audio program. The English AC3 files in the narration file. The other three AC3 files are truely the other languages. So there is no AC3 file that is just English without the narration. I don’t know why there isn’t a non-narration AC3 file. I guess it is wrapped up in the DTS file or something. The only thing I can conclude is that the problem stems from the sample rate or some other feature of the DTS file. Any suggestions?

Rhinoevans July 3, 2010 at 10:24 am

Did you rip the files using MKV? Did you rip all the files? I normally only select the main movie and deselect all the other languages. I have never run into this narrative audio file using MakeMKV. Maybe lucky, I guess

BDA123 July 3, 2010 at 10:37 am

I believe that is the only thing I selected when I used MakeMKV. I only ever select the main movie file and the english audio track. The narrative audio problem wasn’t with MakeMKV. It was with eac3to. The problem with MakeMKV was that it stuttered and ran almost in slow motion. I got perfect video (no stuttering) and the narrator audio when I used eac3to and selected the DTS file and the AC3 file. I think when I played it in WMP12 it bypassed the DTS file and just used the AC3 file (which is the narrated file). I am also using AC3Filter. I think what I am going to try next is to select the AC3 and DTS buttons in eac3to so that it creates an AC3 english and DTS file from the original DTS file. Then I can drop the original DTS file and just MKVMerge the Video, Subtitles, and the newly created AC3 and DTS files. The problem with MakeMKV seemed to stem from how MakeMKV was using the original DTS file somehow. Any additional suggestions?

Damian July 3, 2010 at 10:57 am

I wonder if you uninstalled AC3Filter and instead use FFDShow Audio if that fixes your issues. I don’t use AC3FIlter (I use FFDSHow), and I know in the past I have heard of issues with AC3Filter

BDA123 July 3, 2010 at 11:47 am

Interesting idea. I will give it a try. I didn’t know there was an FFdshow Audio. I am familiar with the FFdshow video codec package which I haven’t used in a long time since CoreAVC works best with my Nvidia Ion HTPCs. I will give it a try. Thx.

Damian July 3, 2010 at 3:20 pm

FFDShow comes with both audio and video. Just uninstall AC3Filter, install FFDShow (get the latest beta here http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/files/) and hopefully that fixes the audio issues

BDA123 July 3, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Ok, so I used eac3to/Anydvd HD and had it recreate the .ac3 file from the .dts file and I mkvmerged it with the video and subtitles and it works perfect. So the problem is with the .dts file and either makemkv or ac3filter. So, I took the other file (Sherlock Holmes) created with MakeMKV, removed AC3Filter, loaded ffdShow, and tried playing it. I did this on a Core2Duo/GS45 computer that can also handle the 1080p video but doesn’t use CoreAVC to do it. Just DXVA no Nvidia stuff. So no potential CoreAVC problems. No luck, did the exact same thing. Started hanging up and stuttering within the first few seconds of the movie. I was using the default settings. Any idea what I should change in the default setting to get it to filter or decode the DTS file correctly so that is doesn’t hang up the playback?

Damian July 7, 2010 at 8:58 am

Did you try merging the DTS file with mkvmerge instead of converting to .ac3? It appears that the issue you are having is only related to the makemkv created file?

BDA123 July 7, 2010 at 11:35 am

Yes, the original thing I tried was using MergeMKV to put the video, subtitles, and DTS file together. This was my default setup when I used MakeMKV. It was the first thing I tried with eac3to/MergeMKV also. Both stuttered. If I put the AC3 file in it I got the narrator with no stuttering. Same with when I create the AC3 file from the DTS file. No stuttering.

Damian July 14, 2010 at 4:48 am

@ BDA123,

Any luck or still having issues with the stuttering?

BDA123 July 14, 2010 at 11:40 am

Haven’t ripped any in the last week or so. I probably buy a bluray each month. I am going to just use Anydvd HD/eac3to/MergeMKV on the next one. That seems to do the job and it is free. I wish Slysoft would come out with CloneBD and/or SlyPlayer but it could be a decade before we see those programs. I will let you know if I still have problems when I get my next BDs. Thx.

Damian July 14, 2010 at 11:44 am

I am actually very surprised that CloneBD hasn’t come out yet, as DVDFab seems to be running away with this type of product once they added BR support. I honestly expect that we will never see SlyPlayer, although you will hear random sightings of it like Big Foot!

BDA123 July 14, 2010 at 11:51 am

And Big Foot is more likely to actually exist. :) DVDFab even beat them to the decryption of Avatar also. I held them up pretty high until that happened. They hold out any longer and it may just be a similar result to the Apple Ipad. They have sold over 3 million and are going strong. I am not an Apple fan but an impressed. If HP, Viliv, Acer, Notion Ink, and everyone else takes much longer to come out with the a decent slate they will have seen the entire market pass them by. A market that should have been dominated by Droid. Slysoft is going to find themselves trying to play catchup in a market they used to dominate.

Damian July 14, 2010 at 12:04 pm

And don’t forget that DVDFab has DVDFab Passkey which essentially mirrors what AnyDVD does (the reason why I liked AnyDVD is because I can use other programs to do what I need to do and just rely on AnyDVD running in the background to decrypt). Also, DVDFab has Virtual Drive which is similar to Slysofts version. So in many ways DVDFab is doing everything Slysoft does and more

Chris August 29, 2010 at 10:10 am

Hi Damian
Really like your articles. They have helped me alot.
I just started to rip my BluRays into MKV for my WHS. I use MakeMKV and everything works well expect that I get black bars top and below my movies. I have my PCH C-200 on Full Screen and my TV on Auto mode.

I always have to change the TV to Movie Expand 16:9 mode to have the movie fill out the screen. This would not be much of a problem if the information bar of the PCH C-200 would not disappear when I do this.

I tried to use MKVMerge change this but have not been able to change this.
Is there any way to fix this? Does it make the quality less of the movie less? I´m like you I like my BluRays in 1:1.

Chris

Damian August 29, 2010 at 11:40 am

Chris,

MKVMerge or MakeMKV will not remove the black bars because it keeps the movies in the original format. The only way to remove physically from the movie would be to reencode and do some sort of cropping. However, I have a feeling this is something you don’t want to do since just like me you want to retain the 1:1. Plus, encoding can take a significant amount of time. The only thing I can recommend is to try playing around with the various zoom settings on the C-200. Let me know how it turns out

Chris August 29, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Thx Damian. I have been through the C-200 settings and could not make it work. But it is strange that when the TV screen format (Philips LCD TV – 47PFL7864H) is set to auto mode, that it does not correct this itself.

It is not a big deal I will just put the TV on Movie Expand mode when I´m watching 1:1 MKV.

Chris September 3, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Damien, this question has probably been asked and answered before but I just can not find it.

I having trouble with the subtitles in MakeMkv, e.g. with Avatar I don not get subtitles with alien speaking only. I have to choose to have subtitles on for everything. I ripped the bluray with the english subtitle and forced subtitle checked. I have PCH C-200.

Do you have any idea what I´m doing wrong?

DamianP September 3, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Do you have the latest fw for the c200 released last week? Also, do you have subtitles turned on on the pch? Currently the pch does not respect forced subtitle flag, so you need to make subtitles are turned on

Chris September 3, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I have the latest fw. Ok, so the PCH does not support forced subtitles for now? So for the time being it is best to have subtitles on for movies that have a portion of them in different language?

Damian September 3, 2010 at 4:40 pm

For mkvs the PCH does not respect the forced flag as yes. We actually raised this issue and it is being worked on. So my way around this (I only ever care about forced subtitles) is just to grab the forced subtitles and leave subtitles on. Since the forced subtitle track will be the only subtitle track in the mkv it displays without a problem. Another issue I noticed with MakeMKV is that it does not set the forced subtitle tracks as forced, just as default.

Chris September 3, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Thx, again Damian for your help. Now I understand this better.

Damian September 3, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Glad to be of help. I was actually very surprised to find that many players don’t respect the forced track flag. In my mind it is very simple, if a subtitle track is flagged as forced then a player should play that track automatically. FOr someone like myself where I would only ever have the forced subtitles this is not a big deal. Obviously though for someone with a variety of subtitle tracks this would be more problematic (and in a case like that going with a BluRay structure probably makes more sense)

ripitgood September 15, 2010 at 12:07 pm

wait for the patch people

ripitgood September 15, 2010 at 12:08 pm

BTW, roll back the clock and everything works fine

Al September 25, 2010 at 6:50 am

General comment on purchasing MakeMKV when it goes full version: I see no way to contact MakeMKV tech support or at least it is hard to find a link. Have to say that the Pavtube products (I’m a Mac user) and sales/tech support have been great! I had several questions over 2-3 emails and they always replied w/i 24 hrs. Good tech support is part of what we all pay for and expect in a product.Not sure how MakeMKV team will do in this regard.

Damian September 25, 2010 at 6:53 am

Al,

Right now MakeMKV utilizes the forum for answering questions (http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/). I believe the admin (Mike Admin) is the main guy and has been very responsive from what I have seen in addressing questions. I don’t know if once they go to a paid version there will be additional avenues for support.

Al September 25, 2010 at 6:59 am

Thank you for the reply Damian. I guess a forum is better then nothing for tech information and issue resolution. I’m just hoping that tech support (and link) is listed right on the MakeMKV web site in the future so they can reply directly to users on an individual basis. Thanks again for your feedback. -Al-