MyMovies Coming To SageTV?

by Damian on January 11, 2010 · 10 comments

Windows Media Center users have been enjoying MyMovies for many years with many other media center platforms being left out in the cold. Well, it looks like that is about to change. PluckyHD, the man behind Sage Movie Wall, is working on porting MyMovies over to SageTV. What exactly does this mean? Well, all the functionality you get with MyMovies in WMC you will get with SageTV, including using Collection Management to gather all your metadata, dynamic filtering, some of the neat customizations I highlighted here , the list goes on. Most importantly, if you are already using MyMovies for WMC there is nothing extra that you need to do, just import the MyMovies stvi into SageTV (when available of course) and you are good to go. If you are currently using BMI to gather your metadata for SageTV the MyMovies port will have zero impact on that as the structure/naming of all metadata stored will be completely different. What I also like about this is it gives the user the ability to switch between two different media center platforms with no effort. As someone who tests out a lot of the media center platforms this is definitely welcomed. All questions/troubleshooting will be going through PluckyHD and not the usual chain of command over on the MyMovies forum. A list of benefits of using MyMovies with SageTV can be seen below:

1. Better collection management with a much more mature product (around over 4 years and built by media center community)
  2. Support for multi disc/series box set.
  3. The core product of mymovies does not cost the user anything. Additional features require some donations or contributions to the community. (still not clear what will require points as this will be different than media center other than the backdrop points requirement)
  4. PluckyHD is making no money or donations from porting this, he is doing this because he is a geek :-)
  5. High res covers and backdrops by user selection.
  6. Ability to choose different version of movies (i.e. collectors/unrated etc etc)
  7. Support for dynamic filtering and custom categories for movies.
  8. Support for trailers
  9. Support for local trailer playback and custom intros before the movies starts (I love this feature)
  10. Great parental control/lockout features.
  11. Full support for the HD100 and HD200

And of course most importantly, time for some screenshots!

So what do you guys think, is this something you would be interested in? If you are currently not a SageTV user could this be enough of a motivation to start looking at SageTV?

Texas-Hansen January 11, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Great Article Damian. This looks like a real winner for SageTV and My Movies.

Techvet January 11, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Okay, I’ll bite. How easy will it be for the user to bring over? Are there any other ancillaries required or is My Movies it? Personally I’d really like to see this feature. I currently use DVD Profiler only because it was organic to SageMC and easy to set up. I’ve shunned other SageTV add-ins because it was so hard to get them set-up and working correctly.

Damian January 11, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Well, I have had the chance to test the add in and aside from importing the stvi I did NOTHING ELSE. I already had been using MyMovies Collection Management so there was no additional work required. If you are not using MyMovies then you will need to install, but after that it is easy to get everything set up. It went as smooth as Tiger talking to a pancake house waitress :-)

Alex Kuretz January 11, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I’ve been pleased with 7MC and Media Browser, but this does make me interested in trying out more applications to see what else is available.

David January 15, 2010 at 6:37 am

This does make me consider test driving SageTV when the porting of MyMovies is completed. I started using Vista MC a year ago and recently moved to Win7 MC – both in combination with MediaBrowser and MetaBrowser. While I like this combination, SageTV with MyMovies looks like it has a lot of great features and I like the screenshots. Eye candy is important for WAF. :-) If it isn’t that difficult to setup and maintain, then I’m likely to give it a try.

Damian January 15, 2010 at 6:39 am

David,

Porting MyMovies over in my mind greatly increases the appeal of SageTV. I expect beta testing to begin within the month, so hopefully a public release will be out not too long after that. I will make sure I post once a public release is available.

shrink4g January 15, 2011 at 9:33 pm

“Well, I have had the chance to test the add in and aside from importing the stvi I did NOTHING ELSE. I already had been using MyMovies Collection Management so there was no additional work required. If you are not using MyMovies then you will need to install, but after that it is easy to get everything set up. It went as smooth as Tiger talking to a pancake house waitress ”

Hi Damian,
Base on your comment in quote, could you please provide an instruction how to setup mymovie for sage HD300? The way I am currently using Mymovie is having MM monitor the title from within WHS and download coverart/info for each movie. Sage then reads the .properties file to show the cover and movie info. The interface is very ugly looking using the current method. Thank you.

Damian January 16, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Here is a walkthrough I wrote on setting u p:

One thing worth mentioning, the developer is no longer active with Sage MyMovies. It may still work, but as far as future support I am not sure what will be available

shrink4g January 16, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Dang it, this (your setup) will require sage pay software, v7? I though that some freeware (SMM) is needed to make the ui more useful. I only meant if it can be setup using just the free. Thanks Damian.

Damian January 17, 2011 at 4:39 am

Yeah, unfortunately SageTV 7 is required. The SageTV UI definitely leaves a lot to be desired