New Add-In Released: WordPress Installer for WHS

by Alex Kuretz on October 2, 2009 · 12 comments

in Add-Ins

WP-AddIn

When Nigel “Cougar” Wilks released his PHP and MySql Installer Add-Ins for Windows Home Server a couple of weeks ago we knew that those two were just the building blocks for delivering much more functionality. Today we get our first new Add-In that capitalizes on the PHP and MySql Add-Ins, in the form of WordPress Installer for WHS.

WordPress is a very popular blogging software, used by MediaSmartServer.net and many others, and Nigel’s Add-In will perform almost all the needed installation and configuration steps required to get WordPress up and running on your Home Server. Note that the WordPress Add-In does require the PHP and MySql Installer Add-Ins to be already installed, all of which can be found on our Add-Ins page. After installing the Add-In, you’ll need to perform a couple manual steps to create a database and user, and then perform the actual WordPress setup.

If you’ve wanted to blog on your Home Server, then give Nigel’s Add-In a try and let us know how it works for you. Also, those of you that look closely at the screenshot will notice that Nigel is giving us a teaser glimpse of the upcoming Gallery2 Add-In.

David McCabe October 2, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Fantastic! It seems like Cougar is my Add-In wishing well. I wish for it, Cougar codes it! Great job Nigel, I look forward to testing this one out.

Dave
homeservershow.com

snowdins October 2, 2009 at 9:55 pm

Funny thing was a couple weeks ago I was looking to host wordpress on my whs for my support blog but it just seemed like bleh…

How about this! Nice work man =)

welchwerks October 22, 2009 at 11:59 pm

i have used cougers add ins to install wordpress(fantastic) but is there a tutorial on how to setup a second blog using this setup

welchwerks October 23, 2009 at 8:10 am

Hi I am looking for directions to install a second blog with this add in is this possible and what is needed I have a theme I want to use

Alex Kuretz October 23, 2009 at 9:24 am

I’m glad the Add-Ins worked well for you. There is no tutorial currently but I believe Cougar mentions how this could be accomplished in his forum post.

Cowdozer November 29, 2009 at 11:30 am

Will there be automatic update functionality for the PHP/MySQL/Wordpress plugins? A quick and simple installation is good and all, but it would be even better if upgrades were handled for me as well. It’s rather dangerous to have outdated web software, especially when it’s as prevalent as these products.

Alex Kuretz November 29, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Wordpress updates work just fine due to their built-in nature. PHP and Mysql will require manual updating. I expect Nigel will do some occasional updates, but do not expect we’ll make a new release for each patch that comes out.

Cowdozer November 29, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Thanks Alex. Do you have any idea how often PHP and MySQL need to be updated to stay secure?

Alex Kuretz November 30, 2009 at 9:42 am

It’s really up to you to decide how important it is to have the latest and greatest version. Keep in mind that if you own an HP server, they have installed Java, SqlLite, Postgres, and other software packages that aren’t getting updated either. It’s all a matter of risk, if your site is low traffic (family and friends only) I think the risk is very low.

Cowdozer November 30, 2009 at 6:24 pm

Really, well that’s good to know too. I suppose I had falsely assumed that HP’s updates would have included updates for all of those services as well. I guess it’s safe enough as long as a worm doesn’t learn to exploit issues in any of these older verions. Thanks for the info.

Saracen9 January 13, 2010 at 5:23 am

Great work – just downloaded and about to try it out. Thanks for putting in the effort!

{ 1 trackback }