Windows Home Server Backup Database-Backup (BDBB) 1.0.2.2 released

by Alex Kuretz on September 25, 2009 · 15 comments

in Add-Ins

BDBB_1.0.1.6

I’m pleased to announce the release of a new version of the Windows Home Server Backup Database-Backup (BDBB) Add-In. Version 1.0.2.2 is primarily a maintenance release with only bug fixes and minor feature changes. Here’s what you can find in the new version.

• Redesigned method of drive detection for better accuracy
  • Really display TrueCrypt encrypted drives (I swear this works now!) :) (Thanks JohnBick)
  • Disable Duplication Options for server with single Storage Hard Drive (Thanks Grey)
  • Disallow backup to non-NTFS formatted drives (needed for 4GB files) (Thanks Matt Pietrek)
  • Properly handle network shares and usernames with spaces (Thanks jamesd42)
  • Do syntax checking of network path format (\\server\share) (Thanks jamesd42)
  • Store Readme in Software\Add-Ins share so user can access it
  • Improved error messages, including start and stop times in the Event Viewer Application logs

This release should resolve the issues reported by a small number of users in the forum posts. And even though today they are talking about BDBB as their Add-In of the Week for show 57, I promise I didn’t plan this with Dave and the crew over at the HomeServerShow.com. :) Be sure to take a listen if you’d like to learn how they use BDBB with their Home Servers.

Please see the Wiki for a full writeup on BDBB and how it works. A zip file containing the installer and Readme is available for download here.

Wil September 26, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Hi Alex, what can we do exactly with truecrypt and the addins?
Can I backup on a truecrypt drive? do I need to install true crypt on the server?

Is it possible if I have a 3TB MediaSmart to backup the full MediaSmart on several 1TB hard drive with your add-in? does the addins request for a new drive when the first one is full?

thanks

Wilhelm

Alex Kuretz September 27, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Wil, yes, you’ll need to install TrueCrypt on the server and mount a drive. The drive will then appear as a backup target for BDBB and you can store your client backup database on the encrypted drive.

This Add-In only backs up the client backup database. You’ll want to see how big that is (available in your Server Console) to make sure your backup drive is big enough. The Add-In will not back up across multiple drives.

Jaap September 30, 2009 at 7:38 am

hi Alex,

thanks for the excellent add-on.
What would be very interesting for me. (but perhaps not for everyone, so mabe other seperate app) would be to backup to external usb drive using either sheduler or on detecting drive, doing backup and overwriting old backup. I know I have mentioned this on the forum. I have just installed this on a small business environment and this feature is still missing. Due to local regulations a backup to the cloud is not an option.

Thank you!

Alex Kuretz September 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Jaap, thanks for your comments, I’ve heard the request for scheduled backups many times but have not implemented this yet primarily because of the current inability to perform incremental backups of the backup DB. I’ll keep these feature requests in mind for a future update.

Jaap October 1, 2009 at 12:55 am

Hi Alex,
I need to have an offsite solution up and running. Do you know of a way (at least for the interim) that I can install some software that does the same: ie on detecting usb drive do backup of backups and database and delete previous version?
We need to have this (offsite but not cloud)in place for regulatory reasons, but to date haven’t found a solution. Would appreciate any ideas! Thanks, Jaap

Alex Kuretz October 1, 2009 at 10:10 am

Sorry, I don’t know of a solution to your exact need, but will keep it in mind as I consider the future direction of my Add-Ins.

Paul October 2, 2009 at 1:10 pm

I added your BDBB add-in and I added a network share using the ‘Add Network Share’ button. A few days later, I rebooted the WHS. The add-in doesn’t list my network share (\\hpserver\public\backups). Does that mean I have re-enter my network share every time?

Alex Kuretz October 2, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Hi Paul, yes, I’ve chosen the add-in to behave this way (at least for now) rather than complicate things with caching credentials and adding a “Remove Network Share” button to the GUI. I’d like this to be a little easier to use and so will be considering ways to improve it a future release.

Jack October 3, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Alex -

Installed BDBB this weekend and it worked like a champ. After have my WHS for almost 2 rys, finally I have a Db backup to take off-site. Thanks, so much. How can I contribute to your efforts ($$)?

Jack -

Alex Kuretz October 4, 2009 at 12:06 am

Hi Jack,

Thank you very much for your comments, and I’m glad the Add-In is working well for you. :) I don’t have any system set up for financial compensation at this time, but thank you for the offer.

Alex

Jeff November 9, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Alex,
i was backing up with this add-in when i realized that i backed it up to the storage pool rather than the external drives i have connected. where does it store the files, because i have about 200 gb of useless data right now on my system that i would like to free up.

Alex Kuretz November 10, 2009 at 9:29 am

Simply select the backup in the GUI and press delete.

Zac December 22, 2009 at 7:01 pm

Alex,
Scheduling would be awesome. I don’t even care if it’s implemental. If I could schedule a full backup every night it’d be GREAT.

Throw in some controls of how long to keep the old backups or something so it doesn’t eat so much space, and profit.

{ 2 trackbacks }