HP Announces release of Online Backup and Mac Backup Add-ins for EX470/EX475

by Alex Kuretz on May 28, 2009 · 15 comments

hpweb_1-2_topnav_hp_logo

I’ve just received an announcement from HP with some welcome news for EX470 and EX475 owners. HP has made the Amazon S3 Online Backup and Apple Time Machine Backup features available as download-able Add-Ins for owners of the first generation MediaSmart Server. Note that these features are already available in the EX485/EX487/LX195 servers.

HP EX470/475 Amazon S3 & Apple Time Machine Downloads Now Available

As previously announced, owners of the EX470/475 MediaSmart Servers can now download two new applications for their Servers. The online backup application allows customers to designate specific shared folders on their Server for secure upload to the Amazon S3 service. Doing so provides an additional layer of data protection for the most important photos, documents and other files.

In addition, customers in mixed PC/Mac households can download an application allowing their EX470/475 MediaSmart Servers to backup their Macs running Time Machine.

The most reliable way to get one or both of these updates for EX470/475 owners is as follows:

1) Go to http://www.hp.com
2) On the hp.com home page go to the bottom right hand corner where it says “Software & Driver Downloads” and click the link
3) In the text box enter in either EX470 or EX475 and then press the “Enter” key on the keyboard
4) Choose “Server 2003” to locate both packages -customers have the option to download one or both applications
5) Installation instructions are available for both applications by clicking the “view directions” link

Please note that both of these applications are already included on the current generation MediaSmart Server products (LX195, EX485, EX487) and do not need to be downloaded.

We thank everyone for their continued support of the MediaSmart Server products.

A direct link to the downloads is available here. Once you’ve downloaded and installed them, let us know how you like them.

Bill Gates May 28, 2009 at 10:16 am
Phil May 28, 2009 at 10:22 am

Hey Alex,

This is great news, as I have been a proponent of this move from the start. I was never really interested in n image backup for the Mac anyway, since the Mac OSX disc is a pretty complete package, and rebuilding the few documents and and software suites not provided by them is a pretty fast process.

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

Phil

T-Bone May 28, 2009 at 1:17 pm

isnt this update replaced by the 2.5 fall update?

Cliff Nelson May 28, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Will this play nice with the SansEncore plug-in that was the initial kick in the tail HP needed to make these moves?

If I have already taken my ex470 to 2.5 via SansEncore, is there any reason to install this update? – Maybe there is something the Mac people can benefit.

Alex Kuretz May 28, 2009 at 4:37 pm

T-Bone, it will be replaced by the Fall update, but this is several months before that will happen and HP promised this update for EX47x owners when the EX485 and EX487 servers initially launched around the first of the year.

Cliff, you shouldn’t need these if you 2.5 running via SanEncore. I’ve not yet looked closely into the versions or any possible differences, however.

DieHard May 28, 2009 at 6:12 pm

From what I see, if you have the 2.5 hack then the HP Online Backup is version 2.5.10.27311 and it loads on the new Dashboard, the one here is version 2.1.11.27322 that loads in the toolbar.

At first look, this mac.dmg file is 5.6 meg while the one from the 2.5 update is a lot smaller in size.

CBick May 29, 2009 at 6:20 am

OK
After months of waiting, I finaly get the download & discover that basicly HP ripped off Jungle Disks Add-In.

Needles to see I’m a little let down. ;0)

Alex Kuretz May 29, 2009 at 9:20 am

I never used JungleDisk, are you saying HP ripped off the user interface? Because they are both utilize the Amazon S3 storage service there will definitely be commonalities…

CBick May 29, 2009 at 9:36 am

I’m just saying that the HP update adds nothing that I didn’t already have. The Jungle disk add-in does the exact same thing in the exact same way that the HP one does.

So i’m a little let down.

I probably had built my expectation up to much & set myself up to be disapointed.

Glyn Hughes May 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm

So if I have been using the Jungle Disk Add-In for some time now there is no advantage in downloading/installing the HP version of Amazon S3 as it exactly the same?

CBick May 30, 2009 at 9:19 pm

The advantage would come from it being 100 % free & supported by HP.

If I had both on my serevr & must decide which one to use then, It would be the HP one.

Alex Yang June 2, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Dear CBick and Alex K.,

Quote – The advantage would come from it being 100 % free & supported by HP.

WOW!??!? Is this accurate?!?? HP Mediaserver users get offline backups at NO additional charge?!?? What about storage capacity??? Is it limited to a set size that is free like 10gb and then they charge $$$

I’m asking because I’ve been an HP UPLINE customer PAYING until they pulled the plug in March 2009 and then became a subscriber to Elephant disk (paying) after HP’s service was discontinued…

If this is indeed free and without any strings I’ll be more than happy to use an ADD-in utility for off-site backup rather than having to open a REMOTE console session and login as ADMIN to run Elephant Drive’s desktop backup client….

Please do reply at your earliest convenience!!! This is great news indeed!!

-Alex

Alex Kuretz June 2, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Good catch, Alex, a point of clarification is needed. The Add-In is free from HP for MediaSmart Server owners whereas I believe the JungleDisk add-in is commercial software. However, you must still sign up with Amazon S3 and for the storage service, and as such you will be responsible for any storage and transfer fees.

Alex Yang June 2, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Hey Alex,

Thanks for the FAST reply and clarification! Subscription fees being what they are, I think I’ll stick with Elephant drive for now… :)

{ 1 trackback }