Windows Home Server update resizes Console to work with Netbooks

by Alex Kuretz on May 26, 2009 · 11 comments

A minor update is on the way from Microsoft in the form of KB963032 that will modify the Home Server Console to allow it to be displayed at a lower resolution in order to work correctly on the Netbook class of computers. The change of minimum resolution from 1024 x 768 to 1024 x 600 is designed to work with the native resolution of many netbook computers. Previously the console would be cut off at the bottom, prohibiting the user from clicking “OK” on the settings tab and making the Console unusable.

SYMPTOMS
When you open the Windows Home Server Console on a home computer that has a screen resolution that is lower than 1024 × 768, the Windows Home Server console may be displayed incorrectly.

RESOLUTION
An update is available to resolve this issue. This update enables the Windows Home Server console to support low-resolution displays. The lowest resolution that is supported after you apply this update is 1024 x 600.

How to obtain this update
The update will be automatically downloaded to your Windows Home Server computer through Windows Update if the Automatic Updates feature is enabled on your home server. Or, you can click Update Now on the Settings tab of the Windows Home Server Console.

Look for the update as an Automatic Update from Microsoft, and is currently available.

Darkon May 26, 2009 at 11:31 pm

OK, I forced a check for Windows updates after reading this post, my EX470 found an update and installed it, but my HP Mini 1000 still chops off the WHS Console screen when I open it up.

Is there something else I need to do to make this work? Does it need to force an update to the WHS Connector software? Or did I get some other update released today rather than the one described above?

JohnBick May 27, 2009 at 7:42 am

After installing this on my MSS I was prompted to update my Vista Client. I did so, restarting the client as requ9red, and subsequently experienced a lock-up of Vista overnight — before the nightly backups ran. For only the second time in two+ years (excluding IASTOR errors) I had to reset my Vista Client. (I am certain there will be discussion elsewhere — we don’t need to do it here!)

Diehard May 27, 2009 at 9:01 am

I’m running the 2.5 update hack. After installing this update, the HP Transcoding service BREAKS. Uninstalling the update and restarting the service fails.

Can anyone confirm ?

Alex Kuretz May 27, 2009 at 9:58 am

Darkon, there should be a Connector update for your client PCs.

John Matthiesen May 27, 2009 at 10:34 am

After installing KB963032 is the console not able to login. Says: ‘The system cannot find the file specified’ ‘This initial program cannot be started: homeserverconsole.exe -b’.

The WHS console is ok.

Darkon May 27, 2009 at 1:35 pm

I haven’t any of the problems mentioned by others above regarding connection isues, but then again I’m running an unhacked EX470 (except for extra RAM) if that makes a difference.

I guess it took a while for my workstations to get the message from the server that a WHS Connector update was needed because one was prompting me for a restart this morning and the other (the netbook) had the update when I restarted it this morning.

However, the size of the Console window on my HP Mini 1000 netbook was actually smaller than it needed to be. I have my Taskbar configured to auto-hide, but even with auto-hide turned off there was still some extra space between the console window and the top/bottom of the screen. Also, this “smaller” view introduces scroll bars and you can’t resize the console window to fill up the available vertical space on the screen.

I guess the change is for the better if you have a netbook, but it seems like there is still room for improvement.

Don May 29, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Sigh. Well now I know what happened. Glad I can alway come here and find out why I was greeted with the red OMG tray or server icon. I I’m reminded of the tale of little red riding hood.

Alex Kuretz May 29, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Don, if you were using my Remote Notification Add-In, you’d have gotten an email or text message to warn you about the offending red light. ;)

Don May 29, 2009 at 9:24 pm

Thanks. I’m giving this a try and posting my questions in the add-in thread.

Ducky July 10, 2009 at 12:37 pm

@Darkon Same here. The smaller window, which is unnecessarily small even for my standard-resolution netbook, has these annoying scrollbars. Apparently, Microsoft took the easy way out by reducing the size of the console window without reducing the size of the content within the window. Shame on them lazy programmers!

{ 1 trackback }