More details on the leaked LX195 MediaSmart Server

by Alex Kuretz on April 13, 2009 · 11 comments

Spanish language site Gizmologia.com has more pictures and details on the leaked LX195 MediaSmart Server that we first reported about a couple of weeks ago. The LX190 designation may indicate that there are multiple SKU’s of this product since our blurry pictures indicated an LX195 model designation.

hp-mediasmart-server-lx190

Their screen shots show 4 USB ports, an ethernet port, and a DC power input for a power brick all on the rear of the unit. The front unit appears similar to existing MediaSmart Servers as far as functionality, with three LEDs and what appears to be the recessed Server Recovery button. Most interesting is that there appears to be no way to add additional storage to the server, further reinforcing the original speculation that this is a single drive server.

hp-mediasmart-server-lx190-trasera-361x640

Thanks to reader Eric for the tip to the Gizmologia.com article. Here is a link to a translated version of the article.

dcdrew10 April 13, 2009 at 10:36 am

This is unbelievably underwhelming. It does not even have a eSATA port for attaching a multi-bay eSATA enclosure. This better be cheap or at least easy to replace the hard drive. I doubt it though.

Alex Kuretz April 13, 2009 at 10:45 am

I don’t have any info on this device, HP basically replied “No comment” when I asked about. But my suspicion would be that this may be intended as a low-cost entry to Windows Home Server, where a user with low storage needs can buy Windows Home Server in a small, power efficient, low-cost system and expand with an external USB drive or two to get duplication and increase storage. I doubt it’s targeted for us hardcore enthusiasts with huge storage needs. We’ll have to see once official info starts coming out.

ymboc April 13, 2009 at 11:48 am

Nice Enclosure. You have to admit, the design/assembly of all the MediaSmart Servers so far has been really slick.

Igor April 13, 2009 at 12:35 pm

It is probably just a external drive that is network compatable. with the ability to add a additional drive via usb.

It is probably just a replacement for the mediavault low end series. If it is it would not be running home server, probably a rev of linux.

Alex Kuretz April 13, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Igor, actually if you look at the box shots we posted a couple weeks ago it very clearly says Windows Home Server on the box.

JohnCz April 13, 2009 at 3:13 pm

I’m very happy to see an ultra compact WHS solution. I can see myself buying something like this as a 2nd WHS (dedicated to run a particular application I have) and/or for my parents. My gut tells me this WHS unit will be limited to onboard fixed memory. Probably 512MB.

paul April 17, 2009 at 10:49 pm