Windows Home Server now available on TechNet and MSDN

by Alex Kuretz on March 16, 2009 · 8 comments

Forum member Loren has let us know that Windows Home Server is now available to TechNet members and provides a free key to give Home Server a test drive. This is a big step, and I believe that the more people try out Windows Home Server the more people will be won over by the easy storage expansion, automatic image based backups, and remote access features.

Windows Home Server available on TechNet

Windows Home Server available on TechNet

I don’t have a TechNet subscription so I can’t verify this, is anyone else seeing the download? Post up in the forums if you have.

Thanks Loren!

Update: Windows Home Server MVP Sam Wood has verified that the software is available on TechNet as well as MSDN, thanks Sam!

Update 3/17/2009 6:30pm: It looks like this was an unintentional release or perhaps testing on the part of Microsoft, as the software appears to have been removed from both TechNet and MSDN. I’ll be sure to update again when we see the software is available online.

Sam Wood March 16, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Yup, looks legit! Also showing up on for download on the MSDN site too, if you have a subscription.

Donavon West March 17, 2009 at 2:10 pm

It’s not on my MSDN or TechNet yet. It may be on a slow rollout.

Sam Wood March 17, 2009 at 2:31 pm

@ Donavon: Yeah, just checked mine this morning and it looks like it’s been yanked from the site.

Loren March 20, 2009 at 11:29 am

Yes, they apparently put it up for testing then took it down the same day.
They said it will be back soon.

Dan Lamb March 20, 2009 at 3:40 pm

I had not looked at the MSDN site in 4-5 months just happened to look on monday saw WHS dounloaded it and got a key intend to load on a system next week I wounder if the key is still valid since they pulled it. Talk about luck the one day in months I check it is the only day it is there

Alex Kuretz March 20, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Great timing, Dan, thanks for sharing your experience. :) I’ve gotten confirmation from Microsoft that Windows Home Server is indeed coming to MSDN and TechNet, and that it’s brief availability was due to some internal testing. I don’t know if your key will remain valid, let us know how it goes!

Alex